PDA

View Full Version : Skill icons - Easier to help...

daller
December 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Hi There,

Through all the posts I've answered here, it's clear to me that skill icons would help me respond to posts here on the forum...

Haven't completely figured it out, but something like these skills:

* Able to use the command-line
* C(#) programmer
* Hardware fiddling (the physical part...)
* LUG member
* <PUT YOUR THINGS HERE>

...then these icons will show below the avatar or something...

PriceChild
December 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I don't like the idea of this... will bring into play elitism.

matthew
December 28th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I don't like the idea of this... will bring into play elitism.Agreed.

daller
December 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea of this... will bring into play elitism.

will bring into play elitism?

...excuse me for my bad english - but what was that?

matthew
December 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM
will bring into play elitism?

...excuse me for my bad english - but what was that?Having the icons makes elitist attitudes more likely to appear in the forums. At the moment we have a real egalitarian sense of community. When we start to differentiate it brings in the potential for pride and arrogance as well as disdain for those who do not "wear the badge."

<Doh! I just realized I used a word like "egalitarian" when you are asking for clarification because English isn't your first language. Sorry. Here's a definition for that one (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=egalitarian)...>

daller
December 28th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I kinda disagree...

then the word "newbie" should be marked ****** :D

Well... the explaination "newbie" just doesn't help me when I want to help people...

Knowing whether or not I can post commands without attached "Go to: System > Etc > etc > etc..." (maybe not even knowing his distribution) really would be of great help to me!

Helping people shouldn't be this hard!

I'm also missing the "Advanced search, posts = 0" search feature...

I know I can just fiddle, and find the URL that combines a "Find unanswered posts" with a normal search, but I would like to avoid that!

PriceChild
December 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Difference between newb and noob: http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060823 :P

Anyway, let me argue this further.

Having the moderator tags means that I get a couple of requests most days over either pm or instant messaging for help because they think I know everything. Most I turn away because I don't actually know how to help, there are more knowledgeable people on the forums, and because if posted on the forums then the entire community can benefit.

To prove this tag makes the difference, I'm guessing people don't add you to msn much? Now, imagine a bad minded individual gets his hands on some sort of tag making it look like he's amazing. He would find it very easy to influence other users, making his "dodgy" answers seem superior, raising his standing etc. He could also perhaps be rude to other users who would be scared to respond because of this "superior tag" etc.

Pricey

daller
December 28th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Haven't though about it that way...

...Guess it's a bad idea then... :D

mostwanted
December 28th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Haven't though about it that way...

...Guess it's a bad idea then... :D

It's basically a self-appointed virtual nobility :)