PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Easily & clearly mark SOLVED threads?

2CV67
December 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Greetings Ubuntu Forums Guys (a Gals?) !

I have been struggling with Ubuntu for a month now & it is beginning to look good, but what a job!!

Without this forum (& some others, in various languages...) I would NEVER have been able to:
Get applications opening quickly with internet connected
Get my Canon printer working
Get WiFi working
Install Ubuntu in dual-boot
Partition my XP hard-drive
Know how much to de-frag & when to stop
etc, etc, etc
& it is a LONG way from finished!

So, you can see I am very enthusiastic & very grateful for all the help. :D

On the downside - I have found it PAINFULLY difficult to find needed answers by leafing through thread titles, or by using the thread search utility or by (often smarter) Googling.

Basically, posts are in 2 categories:
1. Requests for help & continuing requests & more details & suggestions & tests &...
2. SOLUTIONS

People coming to the forum with a problem would like to start by browsing SOLUTIONS linked to their problem keywords.
If they could do that - most would not need to post their own problem & the forum would slow down from it's current FRANTIC pace.
Users would find answers quicker & probably less potential users would give up.
(I was close to giving up on Ubuntu several times).
You can easily see by leafing back, that the same old problems come up several times each day, which just serves to bury the SOLUTIONS under more junk.

People trying to HELP - :D bless them :D - would probably find it easier & less repetitive & more rewarding if they could concentrate their attention on the UNSOLVED threads & stop wasting their time repeating the same tips & SOLUTIONS over & over.

So my basic request is to add a SOLVED ikon & keyword to SOLVED threads and to encourage (NAG) users to use it.
As a refinement, I would like, when clicking on a SOLVED thread title, to go directly to the post where it is SOLVED (maybe on page 6 & not necessarily the last post) rather than the first post.

I see by looking through this particular Category, that I am not the first to ask this question.

More surprisingly, I see that there is apparently already an answer....

You only have to leaf through a few hundred pages of thread titles to see that nobody uses it.
You only have to discover (by luck & persistence?) the procedure, to understand why nobody knows the procedure is there.
In my case, I just tried to apply the procedure to my first SOLVED thread, but it felt wierd & didn't seem to work...

So, to sum up:
THANKS guys for a wonderful job.
PLEASE try to provide a simple, obvious way of marking SOLVED threads.
Encourage users to USE it!

If I can be of any (amateur) help, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again & keep up the good work! :D

rajeev1204
December 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Yes

I Agreeeeee

PriceChild
December 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
The original poster may already do this.

edit your first post, then "go advanced" then check the checkbox which say "mark this it your thread is resolved".

Press save and all done :)

2CV67
December 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, thanks for the reply & of course that is all you need to do, but...

As I said in my original post, I had tried it & it didn't seem to work.

Since then, I have been playing around, trying to mark all my SOLVED threads, and found out why it was not working for me:

I ALWAYS preview before posting.
Previewing wipes the tick out of the box.
Result - the thread says it is edited, but no [RESOLVED] appears in the title listing.
You have to post WITHOUT previewing.

So:
I agree the mechanisms are there to highlight solved threads OK, but, all in all, that procedure is difficult to locate & unconvincing when you try it, with no obvious "mission accomplished" feedback and the result is that only about 1% of threads are currently marked RESOLVED.

The situation could be fixed immediately by including ENCOURAGEMENT & INSTRUCTIONS WHICH WORK somewhere at the top of the Forum.
I am mainly thinking about the Absolute Beginners Forum (my home!!) and there the instructions could either be included in ****Beginner Talk Rules**** or somewhere more obvious.

This is not an attack, guys - just I really think we could (& now it looks like fairly easily?) improve life for forum users & forum helpers - and by quite a bit.

Anyway - I am off to [RESOLVED] my old threads & I wish you success in getting more users to do the same. :D :D

ashleycrue
December 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I've just done 'resolving' a couple of mine but the resolved didn't show up next to the title.

2CV67
December 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I got all mine done with no further problems, following Pricechild's instructions in post #3.

You don't get any indication in the thread or opening the post, that it is resolved - only when you trace back to the overall forum listing.

dfm21
January 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I totally agree.

When I wanted to mark my first resolved thread, I had to search for a way to do this.
A little button like [mark as resolved] next to the first post would be a real help and increase usage among users significantly.

hanzj
July 5th, 2007, 07:23 AM
In Advanced Edit of my first post, I don't see the Checkbox for "Mark as Resolved". Has this feature been removed?

frodon
July 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
In Advanced Edit of my first post, I don't see the Checkbox for "Mark as Resolved". Has this feature been removed?It is directly under "thread tools" now ;).

hanzj
July 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
[SOLVED].

Thanks!