PDA

View Full Version : Problem Loggin In

jpoRS
December 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Hey,

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, but I am having a lot of difficulty signing into the forums. I have to request a change of password before it will let me log in. If a mod/admin could PM/IM me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
jim

K.Mandla
December 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I will mention it. In the mean time, I'll shift your thread to Forum Feedback and Help.

jpoRS
December 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks,

The problem is that it tells me I am logged in, but then I try to do something and it asks for my password again, which I provide, but them I am back at the homepage, and the cycle repeats.

jim

po0f
December 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
jpoRS,

Try clearing all your cookies. I am having some issues with staying logged in as well, but a simple page refresh usually fixes it.

KiwiNZ
December 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Try clearing your Cache

jpoRS
December 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Cache fixed it, thank you.

jim

dbott67
December 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I also noticed this problem. Clearing cache/cookies didn't fix it, however, I was using Ubunutforums.com instead of Ubuntuforums.org.

-Dave

KiwiNZ
December 28th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Use the .org site . The .com is a place holder to retain domain

dbott67
December 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Use the .org site ...

Yes... that was my point. :)

I was trying to access the forums from someone else's computer and ended up at the .com site and couldn't login. After trying the usual suspects (cache, cookies, etc.) I noticed that I was at .com, not .org. I changed the TLD to .org and was able to login.

I guess the .com should forward to .org, as this could become a problem for others.

-Dave

KiwiNZ
December 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I guess the .com should forward to .org, as this could become a problem for others.

-Dave

Very good point Dave I will look at this .

GrahamPR
December 29th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I also noticed this problem. Clearing cache/cookies didn't fix it, however, I was using Ubunutforums.com instead of Ubuntuforums.org.

-Dave

haha, that just got me to. perhaps put it in a sticky somewhere?

cosmolee
December 30th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I've been having a problem logging in as well. Clearing cache did nothing to help. I kept resetting my password, but this didn't allow me to login. This was with the Firefox 2.0 browser. I used the ".org" - that wasn't the problem.

Finally, I tried using the Mozilla 1.17.13 suite (not Firefox) browser - that worked! I don't know if this is browser specific.

This is a really vexing problem, because when one can't login, one cannot post that one is having a problem logging in. Classic Catch-22. I bet there's a bunch of people having this same problem, but they can't tell you, because they can't post anything.

There should be a thread entitled "Trouble Logging In" whereby one can post WITHOUT having to login. Otherwise, as I said, people who can't login, can't notify you that there's a problem!! ](*,)

ps: after resetting the password in Mozilla, I was again able to access the forums with Firefox. I had 20+ tabs open in Firefox and also could not copy (copy and paste) any text. Don't know if that was related to the problem. Closing one tab fixed the inability to copy text, though. Go figure...

kyozo
January 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I just wanted you to know that I also had this problem with logging in when using the .com site.

It really got me frustrated ](*,) until I found this thread.

Hope you get it fixed soon, so other people wont get the same problems. I guess I spent a couple of hours trying various fixes.

Wouldn't a simple solution be that the .com domain just redirects to the .org domain?

Cheers

Kyozo