PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of the backyard

ubuntu-geek
December 22nd, 2006, 05:48 AM
As you can tell, I am rather skeptical of this restriction on forum dialogue. Extended to any logical/reasonable degree, it essentially reduces any discussion here to nought but dry technical Ubuntu-specific matters.

Really that is what this forum is here for specifically "technical Ubuntu-specific matters". Nothing else.

yabbadabbadont
December 22nd, 2006, 06:21 AM
Really that is what this forum is here for specifically "technical Ubuntu-specific matters". Nothing else.

Including the Backyard? That doesn't seem to match up to the big yellow forum description at the top of the Backyard... or did I misinterpret your statement? (i.e. were you speaking about a specific forum as opposed to all of them)

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Including the Backyard? That doesn't seem to match up to the big yellow forum description at the top of the Backyard... or did I misinterpret your statement? (i.e. were you speaking about a specific forum as opposed to all of them)

U -G was referring the reason for Ubuntu Forums

Now back to being on topic

az
December 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM

That's not relevant to the conversation.

However, since you bring it up, I will comment. Whether you planned on it or not, whether you like it or not, the cafe and the backyard are important aspects of the forum. They are established and sustain quite a large community.

They are in part responsable for the popularity of these forums and I really don't think they are optional anymore. You can't benefit from them and then threaten to close them, or severly restrict their use when they become more work than you are willing to put into them.

There are thousands of willing forums users who are willing to help you manage them, if you need the help and if you choose to use them. I think it would strengthen our community to tap into that potential rather than to imply that you want the whole thing to go away.

Anyway, just my two cents....

Regards.

ubuntu-geek
December 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
That's not relevant to the conversation.

However, since you bring it up, I will comment. Whether you planned on it or not, whether you like it or not, the cafe and the backyard are important aspects of the forum. They are established and sustain quite a large community.

They are in part responsable for the popularity of these forums and I really don't think they are optional anymore. You can't benefit from them and then threaten to close them, or severly restrict their use when they become more work than you are willing to put into them.

There are thousands of willing forums users who are willing to help you manage them, if you need the help and if you choose to use them. I think it would strengthen our community to tap into that potential rather than to imply that you want the whole thing to go away.

Anyway, just my two cents....

Regards.
While I do agree the cafe is an important part of this community the backyard serves no purpose other to satisfy ones ego and unsocial deviant behavior.

I can guarantee the success of these forums isn't based off the fact there is a section called the backyard. Regardless at our first FC meeting it will be on the ballot to close it down.

BigDave708
December 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
First and foremost, thank you to Kiwi for re-opening this thread and allowing us to discuss the topic.

While I do agree the cafe is an important part of this community the backyard serves no purpose other to satisfy ones ego and unsocial deviant behavior.

I can guarantee the success of these forums isn't based off the fact there is a section called the backyard. Regardless at our first FC meeting it will be on the ballot to close it down.
There are many members here who only post in the cafe and the backyard, most being users who are now used to using Linux and Ubuntu in particular and feel that they have the knowledge to only enter the support forums infrequently. I no longer frequent the support forums as I use Debian (not that that is relevant to this topic) so I rarely need to ask any questions here. I have stayed around because I enjoy the cafe and the backyard and the topics they contain. Closing the backyard would almost certainly drive me away from these forums (but a few staff members here may like that ;) ), along with several other members.

utabintarbo
December 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

This is sad news. While I have seen my share of "unsocial deviant behavior" there (I may have actually added to that :p ), I have also had some very interesting discussions as well. It would be missed.

mips
December 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM

No I would not say the forums success is based on the backyard but it's users. Is the backyard really such a thorn in your side ?

I just went and had a look at several of the other big distros forums and they all seem to have a completely off-topic section where you are free to discuss whatever within their rules. Just an observation.

One big influence the backyard had on me was to change my stance on capital punishment.

meng
December 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well perhaps closing down the Backyard would be easier on the moderators. It's quicker to determine if a thread is off-topic than in bad taste. I don't support the closure of the Backyard, but I won't waste my time fighting it either. Que sera, sera.

az
December 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
This is really off-topic. Can we split this? It was just yesterday that we were adamant about keeping threads on topic, no?

No I would not say the forums success is based on the backyard but it's users. Is the backyard really such a thorn in your side ?

Is the thorn the forum section or is it the forum users?

Let's not forget the raison-d'Ítre of the backyard. It's a buffer zone for conversations that can potentially be a liability to the general public's opinion of the forums. The fact is that it is difficult to separate politics from open-source projects. Software freedom is a political movement in many senses. It's therefore hard for a web forum to draw a line in the sand that clearly determines what is okay to talk about and what is not okay.

The backyard serves to blur that line so that when a thread in a more public area gets too heated, just about everyone is fine with it being moved to the backyard, but people would get upset if the thread were to be outright closed.

Those who forget the past are doomed to relive it.

If you close the backyard, the cafe will soon become much more of a pain to manage than the backyard currently is, and it too would be threatened of closure. Do we want that?

The backyard certainly is not the reason why these are impressive linux forums. But closing that section will have more of a negative effect on the average users' experience than leaving things the way they are.

I own a beautiful house. It's not a great house because of the bathrooms, but I cannot imagine the house without them. Can you?

mips
December 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
I think it is the suse forums where you have to ask for access to that section, it's not granted by default to everyone. This might deter some as they might not view it as worth the effort.

ubuntu-geek
December 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Please take this back on topic. There will be a section opened later today for discussion of the backyard. I will post the link when its ready.

EDIT:
This has been put on the Feb. 2007 FC meeting agenda leaving ample time for discussion. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200

BigDave708
December 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Please take this back on topic. There will be a section opened later today for discussion of the backyard. I will post the link when its ready.

EDIT:
This has been put on the Feb. 2007 FC meeting agenda leaving ample time for discussion. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200
Thank you. Could you please move the above posts pertaining to the backyard closure to the appropriate thread so that the topic of this thread may continue?

ubuntu-geek
December 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
This is a collection of posts retaining to the closure of the backyard. This is on the FC agenda for Feb 2007.

Please read and follow the guidelines when posting in the following forum.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=323551