PDA

View Full Version : Site Design: Poll

maniacmusician
December 18th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a site at the moment and have got two screenshots here of slightly different designs. My partner and I are kind of split as to which one to go with, so I thought I'd throw it out here as a poll.

When viewing the pictures, please ignore the line that goes through the middle of them. The page was too long for my computer so I just took two screens and threw them together with Gimp, hence resulting in the line, which doesn't actually exist on the real page.

The screen on the left is labeled "Singlebox" and the screen on the right is labeled "Splitbox". Please cast your vote, and thanks for helping.

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 05:28 AM
definitely splitbox. the singlebox seems too cluttered.

Polygon
December 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM
split box. I like it better because it defines what section is what better, because of the change of color and the huge black bold text. With the single box, although the text is bigger, it still takes longer to find what you are looking for.

po0f
December 18th, 2006, 05:54 AM
maniacmusician,

I actually prefer the single box design that you have the best. Between "sections" of the page, just make sure you have sufficient space to let the user know that they are done reading the current section. A <hr /> tag would help separate them better.

Also, minor gripe about the current news page: there is more "news" about site design than about the project. Unless you totally change the way the site looks, I feel there is no need to let the user know. Plus, site design updates get in the way of what people are on your site to read about in the first place: the project itself!

mdsmedia
December 18th, 2006, 05:54 AM
split box. I like it better because it defines what section is what better, because of the change of color and the huge black bold text. With the single box, although the text is bigger, it still takes longer to find what you are looking for.Agreed, and for the same reasons.

maniacmusician
December 18th, 2006, 06:02 AM
maniacmusician,

I actually prefer the single box design that you have the best. Between "sections" of the page, just make sure you have sufficient space to let the user know that they are done reading the current section. A <hr /> tag would help separate them better.

Also, minor gripe about the current news page: there is more "news" about site design than about the project. Unless you totally change the way the site looks, I feel there is no need to let the user know. Plus, site design updates get in the way of what people are on your site to read about in the first place: the project itself!
thanks for the input. The next update to the site was going to fix that (News will no longer be the first page you see on the client site). The first page will be more informative and about the project itself. I understand your gripe about the news being too much about site design, but since it is such an early site, most upates are cosmetic and site-oriented. As we get into later releases, there will be less and less of these site updates and more product updates.

for everyone that voted split box, Do you think the header would look better *inside* the box or as it is right now (outside the box)? This just occurred to me. I havn't tried it out yet, but was just wondering. <--Geh, nevermind. It would look like crap inside the box.

mdsmedia
December 18th, 2006, 06:34 AM
thanks for the input. The next update to the site was going to fix that (News will no longer be the first page you see on the client site). The first page will be more informative and about the project itself. I understand your gripe about the news being too much about site design, but since it is such an early site, most upates are cosmetic and site-oriented. As we get into later releases, there will be less and less of these site updates and more product updates.

for everyone that voted split box, Do you think the header would look better *inside* the box or as it is right now (outside the box)? This just occurred to me. I havn't tried it out yet, but was just wondering. <--Geh, nevermind. It would look like crap inside the box.One reason I voted for the split box was because the initial header was outside the box and all following headers were inside the box.

Skia_42
December 18th, 2006, 06:39 AM
They both look great, the singlebox does seem a bit cluttered but the splitbox feels a bit choppy. I voted for the single box because It appeals to me more but they both look fine. Polls are great for small things like this, go with the majority.

DoctorMO
December 18th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Yay it looks like I win something which doesn't matter! lol.

thanks guys for voting, my design was the split box one, I agree with comments above that the single box is a little too cluttered.

maniacmusician
December 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yay it looks like I win something which doesn't matter! lol.

thanks guys for voting, my design was the split box one, I agree with comments above that the single box is a little too cluttered.
:rolleyes: lol, It's not a competition, Martin. There were just two designs and I was going to go with whatever the majority chose.

DoctorMO
December 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
:-P your right but I couldn't resist, I was tired, drunk or any of the other excuses.

coder_
December 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Is that Comic Sans (Or similar font)!? *coder_ runs for the hills* Icky! :P
*coder_ hopes it is not Comic Sans, and that it is his failing eyesight due to staring at his monitor from 6 inches away in the dark*

I vote split box

Paul41
December 18th, 2006, 11:46 PM
One reason I voted for the split box was because the initial header was outside the box and all following headers were inside the box.

I voted split box because of this also. The single box looked unbalanced with the initial header outside the box and the others inside. Other than that I actually like the singlebox better.

Lord Illidan
December 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I liked the Split Box.

However, I think if you aligned the left side bar, the middle content and the Current Project Stats, it would look better.

steven8
December 19th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I like the splitbox. I would like maybe a rounded edge outline around the titles, Download, etc. with maybe a shadow.

Stew2
December 19th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I voted split box. Looks cleaner to me :D .

Regards,
Stew2

BarfBag
December 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I'm going with the single box one. It's (overall) easier on the eyes, and looks a little cleaner.

maniacmusician
December 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM
thanks for the poll guys. It should be pretty obvious that we're going with split box :) Still making some other cosmetic adjustments, and then I'll throw it up on the site in the next couple of days. And then, hopefully by New Years, we'll have the new release of Dohickey out with a totally completed website and we will rock your world. watch for it, ladies and gents. Oh, we also might be moving our site away from the slowness that is sourceforge.

neoflight
December 19th, 2006, 07:05 AM
splitbox.....its like paragraphs in an essay....

1. contents separated according to logic/topic
2. readability...!
3. :-#

geek_Man
January 1st, 2007, 05:14 AM
Split box looks a little more organized, but I think single box looks a little better.

BWF89
January 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM
Singlebox

H.E. Pennypacker
January 1st, 2007, 05:30 AM
You should remove the line that goes through the middle...don't forget to do that...it doesn't look nice.

SAGEv4.5
January 1st, 2007, 05:32 AM
at a quick glance the splitbox is easier to understand