PDA

View Full Version : forum idea - "additional summary" area after 1st post editable by all users

jetpeach
December 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
A major problem that happens in many threads, particularly long or old ones, is that the original poster does not keep the thread up to date. Fatwallet.com (the largest provider of a Hot Deals forum) has found a brilliant solution to this - after the post, there is sort of "wiki" section that any users can edit to add information. It seems to work very well for them, and when I'm looking for a hot deal it is very useful in a long thread when a link or information can be updated and I don't have to browse through 30 pages of the thread to know that the information on page 1 is accurate.
Here is an example on FatWallet.com
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/681598/
I think they over-do it a little, with the ad links and associate wiki article and all that such, but the Quick Summary section is the one I really like - in the above link the original poster didn't say hardly anything, just providing a link. The initial page got filled with not particularly relevant posts, but users have been able to update the Quick Summary section with the rebate information and a pricegrabber link.

What are your thoughts on this? I think it would be extremely helpful.

PriceChild
December 17th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I think it'd be even more useful for users to keep their guides etc. updated.

To this end, there is a new sticky in the faqs, howtos tricks and tips forum ;)

I've kept my Beryl guide 100% up-to-date across 3 wikis and this forum (with over 1250 posts in reply to it)

jetpeach
December 17th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Wow, that's awesome that you've been on top of it. It is definitely ideal if the original poster will do this, unfortunately I think a good percentage of posters are not as on top of things as you are.

yabbadabbadont
December 17th, 2006, 01:44 AM
For that matter, over long periods of time, the original poster may no longer be avaialable (for whatever reason). In that situation, this would probably help keep the topic, ummm, topical. :D

ubuntu-geek
December 17th, 2006, 02:41 AM
A major problem that happens in many threads, particularly long or old ones, is that the original poster does not keep the thread up to date. Fatwallet.com (the largest provider of a Hot Deals forum) has found a brilliant solution to this - after the post, there is sort of "wiki" section that any users can edit to add information. It seems to work very well for them, and when I'm looking for a hot deal it is very useful in a long thread when a link or information can be updated and I don't have to browse through 30 pages of the thread to know that the information on page 1 is accurate.
Here is an example on FatWallet.com
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/681598/
I think they over-do it a little, with the ad links and associate wiki article and all that such, but the Quick Summary section is the one I really like - in the above link the original poster didn't say hardly anything, just providing a link. The initial page got filled with not particularly relevant posts, but users have been able to update the Quick Summary section with the rebate information and a pricegrabber link.

What are your thoughts on this? I think it would be extremely helpful.
Thats a pretty interesting idea. I'd have to research into this and see if it could be accomplished. I'll add it to my todo list. I think it could be a valuable in certain forums like the howto section.

jetpeach
October 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM
any more thoughts on this? i've looking in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3566011#post3566011
and it's amazingly dumb - the original post is out of date and all the relevant information is buried in 30 pages of the thread...

jetpeach
November 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'm shamelessly bumping my own thread, because as I was over at Fatwallet again I saw another great example of the original poster not including enough details and other users editing the "quick summary" to make the thread more user friendly.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/878190/
It's such a simply thing, but there are SO many old guides here on the forums, with 20+ pages and I go to look, and I see "oh the original post was 2006, hmmm" then I start digging through the posts to see if the guide might still work, and users are having some luck, no luck, bugs, issues, etc etc etc...oh it's so sad we can't have the wiki like post right beneith the initial post!

Please, if you think this idea is neat bump this thread. Oh, maybe I should start this on the ideapad site and see if I can get votes going for it. Maybe others don't think it's such a great idea? I think it would seriously increase the usefullness of the forums to everybody significantly, especailly new and impatient users unwilling to look through long threads to fix/solve a problem they are having...

kevdog
November 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yes, this is a good idea