PDA

View Full Version : Theme changed?

.t.
December 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It seems the theme has changed... Or is it just me? I'm not sure if I like it yet.

.t.
December 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah... here's a shot. The "user info" box looks a bit out of place. I marked it in the image.

Frak
December 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I love the new theme mod for the forums!
Great work!:KS

daller
December 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah it's nice!!!

ubuntu-geek
December 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
:)

Ben Sprinkle
December 13th, 2006, 11:14 PM
:)

ME and another user here agree, we should have the ability to choose the old one, this one hurts my eyes like hell man.

.t.
December 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Hmm... I dunno. This is quite nice except that one little box.

ubuntu-geek
December 14th, 2006, 12:30 AM
ME and another user here agree, we should have the ability to choose the old one, this one hurts my eyes like hell man.
Huh.. there are really no major changes other then some color.

tribaal
December 14th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Change? What change? ;)

- trib'

glotz
December 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Sorry to report, I agree too. (also the new reply button and the buttons you reply or quote messages with changed radically) [-(

Frak
December 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Huh.. there are really no major changes other then some color.
Don't care, Ubuntu-geek, your an inspiration!

beuno
December 14th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I like the changes, except...
The different colors in the threads.
I don't like how it visually adds up, it got harder for me to see which ones are new threads.
Maybe the red/green/yellow approach shouldn't take up the whole "thread" background box, just a smaller portion of it (maybe where the letter icon is on the right).

Other then that, great work, and thanks for keeping the forum up so nicely.

beuno
December 14th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I also can't see the threads tags anymore.
(was writing up a thread on a but with tags, and suddenly noticed they're gone)

emarkay
December 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Too much white space now in the searchbox, and day-m the text is MUCH smaller!!!!! OWCH, my aging eyes!

Can some compromise be made on these two matters?

Cap'n Refsmmat
December 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Suggestions:

Lighten up the brown in the forum description box on forumdisplay/showthread. The contrast between the text and the brown isn't enough, and it's hard to read when my laptop screen is at the wrong angle.
Take off the dotted border from the box in the upper-right... it makes it look like I managed to select the box with GIMP or something.
If you want to add color, put borders around posts and use the alt1/alt2 colors in vB. The different columns on forumdisplay ought to have altering colors like they do by default.
Make the logo link back to the homepage.
The Who's Online list looks a bit boring
Apparently lists have a smaller font than regular text. Odd.

Those aren't commands or something, it's just that the style could use a few more tweaks. How about next time you do something like give us the option to switch to the new style for a month or two (leaving the old one as default) and then take the input from that and use it to fix the style before making it default? That would help prevent this sort of "omg new style my eyes my eyes!!!" thread.

Ben Sprinkle
December 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Yes, all the buttons are really ugly now, now there IS TOO MUCH BROWN! It looked fine the way it was, now it doesn't fit the UBU website at all.

ubuntu-geek
December 14th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Yes, all the buttons are really ugly now, now there IS TOO MUCH BROWN! It looked fine the way it was, now it doesn't fit the UBU website at all.
Oh sniffle..

Ben Sprinkle
December 14th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Oh sniffle..

Sorry, but they are so ugly, keep them the way it was.

BackInTimeMan
December 14th, 2006, 04:01 AM

I agree, can't read the button text and all the text is too small. Yes, I can Ctrl++ to get the text bigger, but this has to be done with each new tab. Also, black text on the dark brown forum banner is not readable at all. The forum index page is the only page that can be easily read now. IMHO, the old theme was much better, ie. the text could be read. I would like the old theme back, this one is ugly and more importantly, not designed for easy reading.

beuno
December 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Oh sniffle..

I sort of like them now, much more clearer what each one does.

:D

glotz
December 14th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Let the people speak. And apply statistics.

glotz
December 14th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Here's a poll about this. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318406

EDIT: Looks like a mod merged these two threads. (mine still had a better topic! lol)

d3v1ant_0n3
December 14th, 2006, 05:23 AM
*cough* clicky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318138) *cough*

Iandefor
December 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
It would be alright if the changes were consistent. But the darker Forum announcement background color just looks bad next to the much lighter rest of the bars. See screenshot for what I'm talking about.

happy-and-lost
December 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
The new fonts don't render as nicely, especially the bold ones. :(

Klaidas
December 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Old theme was nice, I liked. This one - not so much.
</Borat>

Ben Sprinkle
December 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Omg, blue PM buttons! EWW!

bonzodog
December 14th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I like this theme - I love the fonts, and the whole site seems so much clearer.

I vote for keep it.

scc4fun
December 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I think the new theme makes some options a little clearer. I also like the bubble showing the subtitle of the specific forum you are in.

LookTJ
December 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I love the other theme, this one hurts my eyes, too much brown and white. ugly...black and brown doesn't fit each other as well, i'll have to strech my eyes' muscle.

ayoli
December 17th, 2006, 09:47 AM
the new theme is not so bad, it just could be nice to have ability to choose font size. font size is acually a bit to big for me.

.t.
December 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Well, I must say it looks really nice now. Great work! :D

PriceChild
December 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
the new theme is not so bad, it just could be nice to have ability to choose font size. font size is acually a bit to big for me.In firefox (& some other browsers) - Hold alt and use the mouse wheel ;)
There should be a way using menus in other browsers if this doesn't work.

beuno
December 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
In firefox (& some other browsers) - Hold alt and use the mouse wheel ;)

Give a man a fish...

ayoli
December 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
In firefox (& some other browsers) - Hold alt and use the mouse wheel ;)

i know that, but must be done for each new forum page i open.

PriceChild
December 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
i know that, but must be done for each new forum page i open.AFAIK it sticks for me...

RAV TUX
December 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Give a man a fish...

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9305/trout2jt1yy7.gif (http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9305/trout2jt1yy7.gif)

ayoli
December 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM
AFAIK it sticks for me...

not for me, btw it's not a big deal, i can live with that

BackInTimeMan
December 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
the new theme is not so bad, it just could be nice to have ability to choose font size. font size is acually a bit to big for me.

The font size problem, that is, they are too big or too small for different people, is because the font size attribute is being set using px, and even worse, pt, which is a measurement for the physical world, ie. DTP. Relative font sizing works best for screen based design, ie. em or %.