PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Go With Kubuntu Dapper

steven8
December 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I installed Kubuntu Dapper, because I have liked KDE in other distros I've tried. I love it! I have not made the total switch from Windows just yet, so all of my Linux set-ups ATM are test runs on a seperate HDD.

I believe, though, when I make the full switch, it will be to Kubuntu!

What do ya'll think?

SunnyRabbiera
December 12th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I never had good luck with Kubuntu, but if it works for you then go for it.
But you might want to try out Mepis 6, its ubuntu based but also KDE based and I personally find it better then Kubuntu

steven8
December 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I went to the Mepis site. It looks VERY nice. I'm gonna try it out in the morning. Thanks!!

machoo02
December 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I ran dapper for a while, but I've now moved on to Kubuntu Edgy, and I've enjoyed both thoroughly. I think I'll check out Mepis as well, though.....

steven8
December 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
In 3:37, I'll be trying out the simplyMEPIS 6.0 liveCD!!

SZorg
December 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Let us know how it's worked out! I'm not looking to switch from Ubuntu, but I'm always looking to try new things!

SunnyRabbiera
December 13th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Well mepis 6 has a strong base in ubuntu, I personally havent had any luck with mepis 6 but thats how linux is: trial and error.
going Mepis is not really switching from ubuntu as it is now based on the ubuntu repo's
Mepis though on my other machine rocks, but I still like the older versions of it.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 03:05 AM
It didn't recognize my vid card. it's a geforce fx 5200. I found on the website that it uses their legacy driver package. I tried to click the legacy package option, but with a 640 x 480 screen res, I wasn't having much luck finding the okay button. :-)

msak007
December 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I've used Kubuntu since Breezy and it's gotten better with every release - Edgy (for me) has been rock solid. I've never tried Mepis, and even though I swore I'd never try SuSE again after 10.0 I may give 10.2 a shot just to see what all the fuss is about - but only on my laptop, not my main machine which I will keep Kubuntu on.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I am VERY happy with Kubuntu Dapper. Edgy doesn't see my usb cable modem. The driver it needs is there, but I have no idea how to switch to that driver, and no one in the hardware support forum will even touch my question. If anyone here knows how to switch drivers, please let me know. Otherwise I am Dapper bound until further notice!!

msak007
December 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I am VERY happy with Kubuntu Dapper. Edgy doesn't see my usb cable modem. The driver it needs is there, but I have no idea how to switch to that driver, and no one in the hardware support forum will even touch my question. If anyone here knows how to switch drivers, please let me know. Otherwise I am Dapper bound until further notice!!
Not to hijack the thread or change topics, but post a link to your post in the hardware forum.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 05:56 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=314240

SunnyRabbiera
December 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
It didn't recognize my vid card. it's a geforce fx 5200. I found on the website that it uses their legacy driver package. I tried to click the legacy package option, but with a 640 x 480 screen res, I wasn't having much luck finding the okay button. :-)
A known problem with mepis, oh well it was worth a shot.

steven8
December 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
From the website, I was very excited about it. It loads quickly and I'll probably take a few more stabs at it. I love new distros, and this one seems so cool.

meatballhat
December 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM
/me grumbles about thread in ubuntuforums suggesting use of other distros :p
/me ...grouchily.throws(two_cents) && folds(arms) && shakes(head) #in disapproval

steven8
December 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Oh my. Is there a different forum for Kubuntu? I'd never looked. I did overwrite my drive with Kubuntu yesterday evening. I really do like it.

Does this mean I'm of the team coach? :-(