PDA

View Full Version : Beryl Problems

HareBall
December 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Now as soon as I start Beryl, I lose my Exit, Min/Max and Minimize buttons on the task bar. Apparently the only way I can get back to having these is to reboot my computer. I tried killall beryl and even sudo killall beryl. This had no effect on it.

_simon_
December 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Do you still have titlebars or do they vanish as well?

Are you using the Emerald window decorator, if so what happens when you change the emerald theme?

Some themes do not have visible buttons, instead they appear on mouse over.

HareBall
December 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Do you still have titlebars or do they vanish as well?

Are you using the Emerald window decorator, if so what happens when you change the emerald theme?

Some themes do not have visible buttons, instead they appear on mouse over.

I still have title bars and the buttons don't appear when I do a mouse over. Yes I using the emerald window decorator. I'm not sure which theme I was using.

_simon_
December 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Well if you have titlebars that's a good sign, it means the window decorator is working.

You need to go into your emerald theme manager, look at the screenshots and choose one that clearly shows visible buttons and then try using that one.

HareBall
December 11th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Well if you have titlebars that's a good sign, it means the window decorator is working.

You need to go into your emerald theme manager, look at the screenshots and choose one that clearly shows visible buttons and then try using that one.
Nothing I tried in the Emerald Theme Manager helped. I can't even resize the window to see what if anything I might need to change. I didn't find any screen shots.

23meg
December 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Is this the case with all Emerald themes?

_simon_
December 12th, 2006, 08:14 AM
If you can't resize windows you need to go into beryl settings, scroll down and enable "Resize Window"

HareBall
December 13th, 2006, 04:44 AM
If you can't resize windows you need to go into beryl settings, scroll down and enable "Resize Window"
Still don't work. I guess I need to re-install it and see what happens.

DarkN00b
December 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I'm using the SlateHorn_Blue theme and this happens to me sometimes, never in a consistent or predictable way. To get my shade/minimize/restore/close buttons back all I have to do is minimize the window and then restore it. This probably won't help you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

HareBall
December 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm using the SlateHorn_Blue theme and this happens to me sometimes, never in a consistent or predictable way. To get my shade/minimize/restore/close buttons back all I have to do is minimize the window and then restore it. This probably won't help you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Nothing changes when I minimize and restore. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.
Thanx for replying,

HareBall
December 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM
I have now realized that when I run Beryl, my title bar disappears altogether. I thought it was just my buttons. I just opened a window and figured out what it is doing.
Any ideas on how to get that working. I have uninstalled everything to do with Beryl. If I can get it to work, I will reinstall it.

GQed76
December 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I have the same issue, I just have Beryl installed with NVIDIA drivers

HareBall
December 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I have the same issue, I just have Beryl installed with NVIDIA drivers
Good Luck, I never got anywhere with it and have given up on getting it to work. Kind of like when I asked about recording streams, some folks gave advice, but nothing worked.

Subw00fer
December 20th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I think I'm just dumb but I have to ask this question.....I have Beryl installed and I can access the settings menu and the "Emerald Theme Manager" as well. As of now, I have no idea what to press or do to get some cool effects showing. I've tried editing them in the settings and trying them out, but I get nothing special. I have my function keys turned on but I cant figure it out.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I believe all of your questions are more likely to be answered (correctly, at that) here: The Official Beryl Forums (http://forum.beryl-project.org)

compwiz18
December 20th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Good Luck, I never got anywhere with it and have given up on getting it to work. Kind of like when I asked about recording streams, some folks gave advice, but nothing worked.
Try stream recorder

I have the same problem, ATI 200M with fglrx.

Subw00fer
December 20th, 2006, 04:43 AM
I believe all of your questions are more likely to be answered (correctly, at that) here: The Official Beryl Forums (http://forum.beryl-project.org)

Thanks and I am looking around. I think the main problem is that when I click on the Beryl icon on the tray and goto "select window manager", it wont fill in the dot next to Beryl after I click on it. I can click on it and the screen flickers a few times but then it comes back looking the same and the dot still isn't filled in.

What do I do?

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Well first things first: DId you use any specific guide for installation?

HareBall
December 20th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Try stream recorder

I have the same problem, ATI 200M with fglrx.
Tried didn't work. All I got was static with a little music. Here is the complete thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=314081

HareBall
December 20th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Well first things first: DId you use any specific guide for installation?
Here is the guide I used: http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php?title=Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/AiGLX
Everything worked good for a while and then it got where I couldn't use it or I would have to reboot to get my title bars back.

HareBall
December 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks and I am looking around. I think the main problem is that when I click on the Beryl icon on the tray and goto "select window manager", it wont fill in the dot next to Beryl after I click on it. I can click on it and the screen flickers a few times but then it comes back looking the same and the dot still isn't filled in.

What do I do?
I had to open a terminal and type beryl and hit enter. Should see a splash screen after that.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Do you both have beryl-manager running at startup?

HareBall
December 20th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Do you both have beryl-manager running at startup?
I un-installed everything to do with beryl since I couldn't get it to run correctly.

Subw00fer
December 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I had to open a terminal and type beryl and hit enter. Should see a splash screen after that.

When I do that I get this:

XGL Absent, checking for NVIDIA
Nvidia Present
Relaunching beryl with __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
XGL Absent, checking for NVIDIA
Nvidia Present

I think I should reinstall this from the page that I first used: http://www.biodesign.com.ar/blog/?p=25

or maybe I should try this one: http://ubuntuexperiences.wordpress.com/2006/12/05/installing-beryl-and-xgl/

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Well right now I need some sleep, but seriously don't give up. That's the worst you can do.

You wouldn't believe how many problems I had with getting beryl installed, most of which seemed unsolvable.

But persistance paid off, as it always does. Good luck, and remember to ask and READ.

There is so much stuff on beryl ( and your problem, [it looks familiar] )already out there on the net.

I can't really help personally because I have no experience with Nvidia cards. Good luck, nonetheless.

Subw00fer
December 20th, 2006, 06:32 AM
^Sleep is a must and probably when I didn't get Beryl to work earlier. I used the second link from what I just typed above and it works. I LOVE THIS PROGRAM.

It just crashed on me a second ago but I'll see if that happens again. Time to play.....

unknown12345
May 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM
ok i installed ubuntu today and i like it a lot. i tried to get beryl to work by following the instructions on this website

http://feistyguide.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-install-beryl-nvidia.html

and for some reason when i got to the step where it says type this to install beryl

sudo aptitude install beryl emerald-themes beryl-manager

i typed it in and it said

Couldn't find any package matching "beryl". However, the following
packages contain "beryl" in their description.

can anybody help me out?

unknown12345
May 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM
hey subw00fer your second link almost worked for me except that i couldnt save the link because it said

/home/******/Desktop/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

any suggestions?

unknown12345
May 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM
wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

does not work for me in any way. how can i install beryl without the key file

compwiz18
May 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Beryl is way out of date -- look into compiz-fusion instead, it provides the same thing *and* is in Ubuntu (should already be installed, just go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance, and click Visual Effects. Pick one of the options) :KS