PDA

View Full Version : Bean count is it really important to you?

katgfan
December 9th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Is it?

loell
December 9th, 2006, 06:03 AM
yes, it is, as long as it encourages people to help people. thats all.

yabbadabbadont
December 9th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Topic has already been covered fairly well:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218462&highlight=bean+count

katgfan
December 9th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Topic has already been covered fairly well:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218462&highlight=bean+count
Thanks. I didnt know that.

dbbolton
December 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM
i think that enough beans can buy happiness

yabbadabbadont
December 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Bean count doesn't really mean anything, regardless from which forum they were aquired. I really don't have a large number of posts in these forums (except for the word association thread), but that is no indication of how well I know Linux (or even Ubuntu). I've seen users with a very large bean count (and not from the cafe or backyard) who had no clue. They got their count by asking a lot of questions to which they should have already known the answers. (I've checked their post history in some cases and found that they had asked the same questions before and been answered...) I've seen the same behavior in the Gentoo forums too.

po0f
December 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I like how when this issue came up, all of the people against postcount++ started posting like crazy, thus increasing their own beans.

yabbadabbadont
December 9th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I like how when this issue came up, all of the people against postcount++ started posting like crazy, thus increasing their own beans.

Only those who display their bean count. ;)

Besides, Cafe posts don't count anymore.

haxer
December 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think the bean count is good but the text like "ubuntu dripp" or "mocha choka late with tasty ubuntu" thats lol i think The good thing about the count is that i can see how many post i done or answered to. ;)

matthew
December 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
The staff take on post count is contained in this post (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560), which is an updated version of a much older post on the same topic. Here's a quote of the most relevant bit.
...there are people here with less than 20 posts who can code circles around much of the staff and are capable of giving amazing and useful responses to support questions...and there are some of us here with thousands of posts (ahem...me?) who might get lucky with a good and helpful reply on occasion. The fear is that people might use post count and titles/symbols as a means of judging the validity of a post's content rather than the content itself. We had a long discussion about this in the forums when they were first started and this subject has been revisited among the staff several times. Some forum members and staff wanted to eliminate the post count and title/icon system completely, some have gone the other way wanting a complete ranking system that is clear and gives honorific titles with great meaning to those with higher post counts (that particular group is in the extreme minority). The current system is a compromise that has been working pretty well for a while.It's also in the FAQ, linked in my sig.

Kernel Sanders
December 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Magic Beans >>>>*

8)

mdsmedia
December 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Did those with the "right to remain silent" make comment? ;)

woohoo!! another bean!!:mrgreen:

Reshin
December 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Remember, kids! The bigger your bean count, the longer your....

Sorry >.>

Lster
December 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I dont really care about beans myself - the titles are funny. Like "dipped in Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu drip".

Mihkal
December 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
No, most of the time people make pointless remarks (like this one) to raise their bean count.

Lord Illidan
December 9th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I like my bean count, but I know that I am just an average Ubuntu user at the end of the day. But I like helping out where I can..

lyceum
December 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
The only thing that make the bean count important to me is that it allows me to see how much time I am spending on the forums. I use to have forums, but I have become very addicted to this one. I think it is because the people are nice, with few exception, and the admins keep the bad apples in line.

~LoKe
December 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, after a couple warnings, I've lost my cups. :(

beercz
December 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Well I'm going to make a meaningless post to increase my bean count by 1. :-)

loell
December 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM
i thought the bean count was just fixed not to count in the cafe

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 01:01 AM
i thought the bean count was just fixed not to count in the cafe

See post #3 here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=268366) and for an explanation, see here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560).

Woot, another bean for me :-)

fuscia
December 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM
pointless. bean count does not reflect quality in the least. keeping track of it is *insert violation of the ubuntu code of ethics, complete with adjectives made up entirely of asterisks^.

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
pointless. bean count does not reflect quality in the least. keeping track of it is *insert violation of the ubuntu code of ethics, complete with adjectives made up entirely of asterisks^.
I know - it is just a bit of fun, nothing more ....

fuscia
December 10th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I know - it is just a bit of fun, nothing more ....

i have way more beans than you do, dude. lol!1

soul814
December 10th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I like having those little bean images there. I find it entertaining =]

PriceChild
December 10th, 2006, 01:37 AM
As far as I know... bean count has just been disabled in the cafe and backyard ;)

aysiu
December 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM
While bean count doesn't correlate with knowledge, it is not completely meaningless.

For example, if I see a forum member with hundreds or thousands of posts being extremely rude, I think, "Hey, that person should know better than to do that." If, however, I see a forum member with ten posts harassing someone else, I'd think she just needs a little scolding/warning to get to know how we do things around here.

Likewise, a link to outside the forums from a veteran member I tend to be forgiving of. But if I see something from a 1-bean "member" that looks a little sketchy, I'm going to assume it's spam/advertising.

max.diems
December 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Besides, Cafe posts don't count anymore.

Odd. Just a few months ago it was changed so that they do.

PriceChild
December 10th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Odd. Just a few months ago it was changed so that they do.Ah well :)

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 03:29 AM
i have way more beans than you do, dude. lol!1

Yep!! A lot of people have way more beans than I do - I can live with that! :-)

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, for the record, from those in the know.

Do cafe posts currently count as beans or is it just the support forums now?

I think it has been changed to the latter, I think my bean count is no longer incrementing.

Thanks in advance.

aysiu
December 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM
My understanding is that they didn't count for the longest time. Then, a few months ago, they started counting again. Finally, recently (within the last week or so), they stopped counting again.

That's my understanding of it.

beercz
December 10th, 2006, 03:39 AM
My understanding is that they didn't count for the longest time. Then, a few months ago, they started counting again. Finally, recently (within the last week or so), they stopped counting again.

That's my understanding of it.
Thanks aysiu - that appears to be what's happening - I guess my bean count will increment more slowly from now on. I seem to spend far too much time posting to the cafe, compared to the other forums!

aysiu
December 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM
No worries. No one's going to measure your worth as a person by how many beans you have.

PriceChild
December 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I'm reasonably sure that posts count everywhere except the backyard, the cafe and the jail.

lyceum
December 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'm reasonably sure that posts count everywhere except the backyard, the cafe and the jail.

Ever since learning that I don't know as much as I think I do about Ubuntu, I seem to spend way more time posting in the Cafe and the backyard, but my bean count keeps going up. I think that is a good thing, because one of the signs of a troll is a low bean count, from what I have read. Not that the bean count really means anything...

-edit-
I guess it doesn't anymore...

Ben Sprinkle
December 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Bean Count is good, lets users know thier growing up of the forums.

PanzerMKZ
December 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I have a long way to grow. Thanks for the forums being here.

Panzer

sailingboarder
December 14th, 2006, 10:56 PM
i like the bean count, especially the labels and icons
its a fun way to know who spends alot of time in the forum and who doesn't

can the cafe posts still increase our label, even though the actual # will not increase?

megamania
January 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Did those with the "right to remain silent" make comment? ;)

Before I leave a comment, I want to make a phone call. ;-)