PDA

View Full Version : Downloading movies

SnTholiday
December 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Just wondered how many people buy or rent movies via download. The NBC Today show was making a big deal out of this, basically saying DVDs are going to be obsolete. I don't see that happening in the very near future, if at all. I would also assume in order to download movies you would need Windows and possibly their media player. One website I found that buys/rents movies via download is Cinemanow. Has anyone tried it, and how is the quality?

I'll stick to DVDs.

xopher
December 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I haven't tried the service in question, but I've tried a similar one we have here in Finland. The quality is well, not DVD quality. It's watchable - but not even as good as an xvid dvd-rip would be.

I'll stick to DVDs.
^ I second that.

bionnaki
December 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I download movies illegally and burn them to dvd for personal viewing.

SnTholiday
December 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM

I'm not talking about Crimewire.

BarfBag
December 8th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I used to rent movies from Cinema Now (http://www.cinemanow.com/). Good, cheap service. Problem is - very limited selection. Now I'm a member of Netflix (which is just DVD rental) and use iTunes when I miss a TV show.

gorilla
December 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM
At my place of earth the price for renting movies via download is up to 6 times higher than going to my local video rental shop. The quality is poorer, only one language track included (AFAIK).. dosn't make sense.
Of course in a more distant future dvd renting is definately going to vanish.

SnTholiday
December 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I doubt you could download a movie in HD.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM

werd.

BarfBag
December 9th, 2006, 03:37 AM
werd.

Tell me... what's "werd" about it? It's not ethically wrong. All you're doing is depriving big, fat, talentless people the money they make off of the talents of others.

rowanparker
December 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM
If I rent a movie it is by DVD.
Although one of our DVD shops recently turned into a YMCA shop.

Nythain
December 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
i dont have a tv... just a pc... sometimes watch dvd's i borrow from friends, but mostly i still go out to that place called a Theater... used to be big into video and movie piracy, but it was to time consuming and ate up to much of my efforts. Who wants to download a 4 gig file, that takes me like days, sometimes weeks if there's only one or two seeders... then there's teh fact that most of what i want to see isnt to popular or trendy so i cant even find it on the net or in rental stores (Firecracker anyone?)

Kalinda
December 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Actually, I think that if everyone said "it's okay for me download movies because other people are buying them" no one would be buying them and no one would be getting their money.

Of course, I suppose it's okay as long as you go out and buy the DVD if you actually enjoyed the movie. And I certainly don't think that they're losing half as much money on is the MPAA claims.

At any rate, none of those download services will work for us because that they're all DRM Linux does not support that sort of DRM. I guess they're alright as long as the DRM isn't too limiting, I'd rather just have DVDs. And screw blu-ray and HD-DVD, though I imagine that eventually they will get cracked, so we'll play them in Linux as well. It amazes me that the movie industry hasn't just woken up and allowed the new formats to work with Linux, considering what happened to DVD after it ignored us...

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
December 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Tell me... what's "werd" about it? It's not ethically wrong. All you're doing is depriving big, fat, talentless people the money they make off of the talents of others.

What?

I was simply stating that I do the same.