PDA

View Full Version : The Trident thread

23meg
December 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312621

I'd like to learn the exact reason why this thread was closed.

I'd also like to learn what exactly was meant with "this thread is getting silly"; did the thread get "silly" because it went off topic? If so, I understand the point, but there wasn't much I and other participants could do; mostly, the kind of issues we discuss in the Backyard can't be discussed with some deviation from the initial topics. Especially political issues are so deeply interwoven that it's almost impossible to stay strictly on topic.

I think this kind of deviation has to be tolerated. The subject at hand, which is fact that the UK decided to upgrade their arsenal of nuclear weapons is essentially connected to the nuclear arsenals of other countries, so if you ask me, nuclear arsenals of other countries was a valid point of discussion in that thread.

In any case, I don't think my and others' comments about other countries were any more off-topic than the remarks of KiwiNZ (who closed the thread) about New Zealand being a nuclear-free state.

KiwiNZ
December 7th, 2006, 02:05 AM
In my opinion , and experience it was clear where this thread was heading as it had caught the attention of some members who's motives to cause trouble has been obvious of late.

And I am not saying that all the quotes I put below are from that group of members.

Comments such as ...

"*bangs head against brick wall*

I can't believe that some people can't see the difference between Iran, most of the Middle East, and the rest of humanity."

"Reminder: there's no evidence that Iran is developing nuclear weapons, as opposed to North Korea. It's just an allegation by some countries *cough* whose recent allegations of the similar sort have turned out to be lies *cough* ."

"Yeah. NZ's government sticks to shafting the people of NZ, while the US government shafts everybody."

Gave clear indications that the thread was turning silly .

Having said that because it was me that closed the thread I would ask in the sake of fairness that one of the other Administrators to review this representation .

I will honour what ever decision they make.

23meg
December 7th, 2006, 02:42 AM
In my opinion , and experience it was clear where this thread was headingIs criticizing government policies silly? I've seen cases where it got silly recently, but I'd expect you to issue a warning if that did start happening, instead of closing the thread preemptively.

I do make a distinction between countries, their administrations, and their people normally; to be honest I've neglected that here, but from the context, as well as my previous posts, it must be clear that I'm not bashing a particular country blindly. Other posts you point to are by members known for their blunt way of putting things; I don't think it would turn into an insult fest, but if it did, I'd agree with closing the thread.

I don't think it's possible to discuss global politics in an international forum without stepping on some toes. As long as the criticism doesn't turn into insults, it should be allowed.

KiwiNZ
December 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM
You make some good points 23meg .

In the absence of other Admins being online and given that this is a current topical issue on the world stage now , and propbably has a short shelf live of debate I am going to reopen the thread .

23meg
December 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks for your attention. I hope the thread can live on.

jdong
December 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I've looked over the thread and I think it's acceptable to keep it open for now. I also understand KiwiNZ's initial reasoning for closing it -- it did appear like it was ready to head south with just all out arguing and flaming.