View Full Version : Thinbuntu

December 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
My boss wanted me to find him a distro that he could install that would boot up and present him with the option to connect to a remote windows terminal server. I couldn't find one that I liked so I used it as an excuse to spend a day of work time altering xubuntu to get it how I wanted it.

I have now got a cd that will install xubuntu but without any programs other than the command line tools and tsclient and rdesktop. I still need to add in the artwork I have created and will customize it more fully to get away from the xubuntu look and make it more suitable for its purpose.

I called it thinbuntu and it is currently still under major construction but I am trying to put a decent amount of work into it to get it going.

I am using my blog (http://hjmills.co.uk) to provide information but I will update this post as well if people are interested.

I don't know the rules about using the ubuntu title font and an altered version of their logo so I am currently using them and will give full credit but if anybody knows better please let me know.

If you want to get involved please contact me by email hjmills[at]gmNOSPAMail[dot]com

Link to show just the thinbuntu posts on my blog: http://hjmills.co.uk/?cat=4

December 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
You should check out Ubuntu Lite. It's not a very well maintained Ubuntu derivation, but is very similar to what you describe: a stripped down Ubuntu. Even if you don't use it, you can borrow some ideas from it. The window manager it uses is IceWM, which is the WM I would suggest for any thin client system. I made an Ubuntu Lite theme for it, which is just a green Ubuntu theme (just google for IceBuntu).

December 3rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Thank IYY, I will check that out. I am looking to move to a different window manager in time but as my boss wanted fast results I thought I would start with xfce from xubuntu (and I had an xubuntu edgy cd with me at work). I haven't used icewm before so I will give it a look.

I was also considering using either fluxbox or blackbox as I am more familiar with the config files they use.

Obviously as a thin client the window manager doesn't need to be that user friendly as it will just load up an rdesktop connection and from then on will show the server full screen.

December 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the window manager for the server system... As far as the client is concerned, you should not even have a desktop environment; just a basic window manager like Metacity.

Personally, I think that using IceWM for the server is a good idea. Gnome on a thin client network will be pretty slow (sluggish), whereas IceWM will be very snappy. I guess XFCE is good enough, though.

December 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Currently I am just developing the client as the original prompt came from my boss who wanted a distro to connect to a windows terminal server. I took a look for one on the net but there weren't any that let you set up the connection once it was installed - they all wanted you to know the connection before you installed it. You could boot on a live cd and edit the text file but my boss - although great on windows - probably doesn't know how to do that and certainly doesn't want the hassle.

I may hope to develop a thinbuntu server in the future but that would be a much more ambitious project (and one I hadn't considered before) which sounds like something to do after Christmas and when thinbuntu client is a short way down the line.

There is still lots I wish to do and I have outlined the main points here: http://hjmills.co.uk/?p=8

N.B. I know some people may object to me making it easier for Linux to be used to access Windows but I'm just grateful that people realise Linux is out there. I hope that when they start using it they may realise what else they can use it for besides a thin client terminal.