PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs. Opera vs. ...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Since an Eee PC is my main computer, I don't have a middle-click button, and I do a lot of opening tabs in the background. In Firefox, the way to do that is Control-click. In Opera, I have to press Control-Shift-click. Having to do a double-key combination and then click is annoying to me.

Remember that almost all keyboard combos can be changed in Opera ;)

aysiu
October 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Remember that almost all keyboard combos can be changed in Opera ;)
By why bother with all that when 1. Firefox's default works for me and 2. Opera's tab behavior cannot be changed to what I want?

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
By why bother with all that when 1. Firefox's default works for me and 2. Opera's tab behavior cannot be changed to what I want?
Use whatever you like :)

MrNick01
October 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM
IE! Haha, jk. Firefox has better page rendering.

olejorgen
October 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
For me it's the opposite. I hate firefox's tab-closing behvior. (and afaik. it can't be easily changed?) Opera have 3 settings, but I guess none of them mirror firefox's behavior? (I find that strange though)

aysiu
October 4th, 2008, 10:43 PM
For me it's the opposite. I hate firefox's tab-closing behvior. (and afaik. it can't be easily changed?) Opera have 3 settings, but I guess none of them mirror firefox's behavior? (I find that strange though)
Well, there are plenty of extensions for controlling Firefox's tab behavior (Tab Mix Plus and Tab Control are two examples), but that's not the point.

If Firefox's tab behavior doesn't suit your needs, I'm not going to try to convince you to use Firefox. If you like Opera, use Opera.

But I hate it when Opera users try to convince me to use Opera. I've tried Opera many, many, many times, and no matter which of the tab options I select, it never behaves the way I want it to. That's the bottom line, and I'm just sick of Opera users not respecting my choice and trying to give the impression that Opera is empirically better than Firefox.

There is no "better" or "worse" when it comes to browsers. You use whatever suits your needs and preferences, and that's the bottom line.

ESE150
October 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry, but Opera is (in my experience) more configurable than Firefox. First, the UI can be completely customized. For example, the status bar on the bottom of the Firefox window is impossible to customize. In Opera, I can treat that just like any other toolbar, and I have a 'search in page' box, zoom settings, and much more down there. Opera can also be totally customized using user javascript. There are userscripts for almost everything (including NoScript). When I want to use a custom stylesheet in Opera, I just put it in the appropriate folder and I can switch on the fly. In Firefox, I have to either modify userContent.css and restart my browser, or install yet another extension.
Firefox can all of that by using add-ons.

Could I customize Firefox to match Opera's functionality? Sure. However, I would need to add so many addons that it would run like a dead armadillo.
Wrong. At most, using too many extensions might make it open slower, but they don't slow it while you're browsing. And I use only one window for browsing, so that doesn't affect me.
The only way they can make FF run slower is if you use a dial-up connection and download too many add-ons that connect automatically to certain websites and slow the Internet connection, but those add-ons are rare and pretty non-essential.

For me, Opera does the job and still runs fast.
Good for you. Still, most Firefox users who are to used download add-ons and know what to look for, in order to improve their browser (and by improving, I mean making it more practical and efficient) haven't the option of switching to Opera: they have been spoiled too much by FF.

EDIT: Also, could you explain how to change keyboard shortcuts in Firefox? Lat time I checked, you have to install another memory-grabbing extension. In Opera, that configurability is built in.
So? Nobody said that Firefox isn't a bit of a memory hog. The point is that if you have a computer powerful enough to afford using FF with many add-ons, then you can have a browser that can be customized to be more useful than Opera.

No, this does not require that firefox is open soucre. Lot's of closed source application offers versalite plugin solutions.
But FF is the browser with the higher number of plugins because of that.

I hate firefox's tab-closing behvior. (and afaik. it can't be easily changed?)
It can be changed with an add-on. Whether that counts as easy or not depends on if you know what to look for.

Frak
October 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Are you kidding me ? Firefox is faster than opera, atleast for me. On my old scrap-box with 1.6ghz/768mb ram it takes longer to load an website, while I am playing WoW in Opera, than I do in firefox. Also, firefox is open-source, that means it will always be free, but any time at operaHQ they can decide, for no particular reason, to charge people for using it. And the support for linux in FF is much more reliable than in Opera, when I try to access a website with flash all around it, opera doesn't run them (because it hasn't got flash in linux), but still slows down, it runs even slower than FF at that point, as if it would be using flash. FF does that faster and it is more memory-friendly.

On the other hand, Opera has a great starting page, with the 9-loaded pages already waiting for you to open them. That is something I'd love to see in FF.

BTW, have you ever heard of songbird ? Its a library based music player, which has Firefox implemented. I don't understand why isn't it implemented in ubuntu yet, but it screams quality and business all around, and its a lot more resource-friendly than firefox and rythmbox opened at the same time. Plus it has cool skin-managment system and a load of plugins to choose.
Speed Dial (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4810)

And the Mozilla corporation could decide to charge for Firefox at any time too. Since they own the code, and the license, they have to freedom to do-as-they-want.

cardinals_fan
October 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
So? Nobody said that Firefox isn't a bit of a memory hog. The point is that if you have a computer powerful enough to afford using FF with many add-ons, then you can have a browser that can be customized to be more useful than Opera.
I won't go any further after this because, as aysiu said, browsers are a deeply subjective choice that will differ for everyone. However, for my uses, I have yet to discover a single Firefox feature (with or without addons) that I can't duplicate better in Opera.

moore.bryan
October 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
how would you replicate foxmarks ("http://www.foxmarks.com/) and foxyproxy ("http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/)?

L815
October 5th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'm an Opera and FF fan, but prefer Opera. Fast, sleek, and has all I need already packaged.

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 12:13 AM
how would you replicate foxmarks ("http://www.foxmarks.com/) and foxyproxy ("http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/)?
Foxmarks: Opera Link would handle this fine.
FoxyProxy: I'm not sure about this one. I don't live in a country with censorship (yet, anyway), and this is a home computer, so I don't have much use for proxies.

olejorgen
October 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by olejorgen
No, this does not require that firefox is open soucre. Lot's of closed source application offers versalite plugin solutions.

But FF is the browser with the higher number of plugins because of that.
Hm, how can you know that? I think it's because the extension system is much more powerful. (opera doesn't really have a proper system)

cardinals_fan
October 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Hm, how can you know that? I think it's because the extension system is much more powerful. (opera doesn't really have a proper system)
I agree with you. The Opera system is fairly wretched (though userscripts provide almost everything needed).

LaRoza
October 5th, 2008, 12:26 AM

No, but Opera eliminates the need for it. Opera has everything built in that I used to use Fx extensions for, and doesn't eat up RAM or try to upgrade them every time I start it. Some of the features are not as feature full as Fx extensions (Block Content, for example), but it also has much more function built in and it does what I want.

olejorgen
October 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM
No, but Opera eliminates the need for it
Sure, whatever you say...

It's actually quite annoying because it's so little that is needed to quadruple the things you can do with opera. A tiny lua/javasrcipt/whatever layer providing the same actions you already have access to through buttons/hotkeys and a few more. It's a shame.

aysiu
October 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Speed Dial (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4810)

And the Mozilla corporation could decide to charge for Firefox at any time too. Since they own the code, and the license, they have to freedom to do-as-they-want.
They don't own the code. The code is open source. They own trademarks to the Firefox name and logo.

And charging for the browser would be stupid. Opera used to charge for its browser (unless you wanted the ad-riddled version) but wised up recently. Microsoft has never charged for Internet Explorer.

Mozilla makes millions of dollars off ad partnerships with Google. They don't need to charge for a download of the browser.

By the way, all this talk about Firefox extensions slowing down Firefox or not... I don't know if you can make that generalization either way. It really depends on how well the extension is written and maintained. Well-written and thoroughly tested extensions have no detrimental effect on performance. But some extensions are badly written.

Frak
October 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM
They don't own the code. The code is open source. They own trademarks to the Firefox name and logo.

By own, I mean has the ability to close it's doors to the source. These are mainly the same people that worked on the Netscape Mozilla Suite project.

And charging for the browser would be stupid. Opera used to charge for its browser (unless you wanted the ad-riddled version) but wised up recently. Microsoft has never charged for Internet Explorer.

I still have the ad-riddled version on a CD somewhere. As for Microsoft not charging for IE, IIRC, IE was a marketing ploy to land Windows on more and more home and office desktops. It'd be stupid to say "Well, you bought Windows, but to use all of it, you have to buy IE for $99.99. It comes with REVERSI!!!"

Mozilla makes millions of dollars off ad partnerships with Google. They don't need to charge for a download of the browser.

Around $50 Million in ad revenue if my stats are correct.

By the way, all this talk about Firefox extensions slowing down Firefox or not... I don't know if you can make that generalization either way. It really depends on how well the extension is written and maintained. Well-written and thoroughly tested extensions have no detrimental effect on performance. But some extensions are badly written.

True 'dat. I use around 25 extensions. It's nearly as fast as when I first installed it. The only thing that suffers is startup time, but only by a second or two. This INCLUDES Norton 2009 webtrust.. scanner... thingy...

ESE150
October 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I won't go any further after this because, as aysiu said, browsers are a deeply subjective choice that will differ for everyone.
True.

However, for my uses, I have yet to discover a single Firefox feature (with or without addons) that I can't duplicate better in Opera.
Fair enough. I will just add that my personal experience was similar to yours, except with FF and Opera switching places in your sentence.

No, but Opera eliminates the need for it. Opera has eve
rything built in that I used to use Fx extensions for, and doesn't eat up RAM or try to upgrade them every time I start it. Some of the features are not as feature full as Fx extensions (Block Content, for example), but it also has much more function built in and it does what I want.
Whenever I use Opera, it feels mostly like I'm using a primitive program simply because I can't customize everything to suit my needs, and like you stated, some features aren't as refined as in FF. But mainly because many features aren't as practical and efficient as in FF.

Not that I'm bashing Opera. It is one of the best current browsers because it is well-done and has good features, too. But when it comes to customization and features, it simply can't compete with a browser that has thousands of people creating upgrades for it. If Opera became open source and established a website for people to upload add-ons designed for it, then maybe things would change. But I guess they don't want to be copycats (or simply they aren't cool with wasting their time testing homemade plugins).

Black Razor
October 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
WTF is going on in this thread? You can argue all day long until your blue in the face about which one is better, but in the end it really doesn't F%$#@NG matter. If you dont like Opera don't use it. If you don't like Firefox don't use it.

Honestly, this is the same kind of BS argument flame war crap that I keep hearing about Linux in general with the "Which Distro Do You Prefer".

Both programs are different, and they are different because they are not the same thing...let me repeat that. Each program is different, so therefore its not going to do everything the other does. This is just like the people who get angry at Linux because its not a free version of Windows.

It DOESN'T make a difference, just use the program that you like and stop the damn flame wars.

Shippou
October 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I don't know about you, but I observed that FF (Windows version) loads faster than FF in Linux. I don't know about that, but also, FF Windows version seems more uncluttered than its Linux counterpart, and also is more monitor-friendly seems it is not a space hog as compared to Linux FF.

Btw, those who are wondering why I got the two versions running at the same time (Windows version under WINE, of course), it is because I can't install Adobe Flash 10 under FF Linux. I was SO frustrated that I just installed FF Windows and installed Adobe Flash 10 there.

Oh yeah, that's a plus also: Adobe Flash 10 cannot be recognized (most of the times) by Firefox Linux although you have installed it many times.

Hmmn.. maybe time to switch ship people. Spread the Opera benefits, people! :lolflag:

Oh yeah, I do think this argument matters, for it talks about influence. People do influence other people. It explains also why Windows is more preferred than Mac OS X or Linux, and why Kaspersky is more known than Bitdefender or Avast or some other software.

Just my opinion though. No flames, please.

P.S. Please, no thread killers, please. Since this thread had 53 posts already, no killing it please. It is just plain stupid to kill a thread because of a single flame post.

No offense there. To the mods: Sorry if this post offends.

cardinals_fan
October 19th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It DOESN'T make a difference, just use the program that you like and stop the damn flame wars.
If people like debating about their software, why shouldn't they? Just ignore us and avoid Recurring Discussions :)

Eclipse.
October 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Internet Explorer is by far the best web browser out there.

Just kdding ff ftw <3.

inxygnuu
October 19th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I use Firefox because opera did not lay out the browser the way I would like it to be. I like how Firefox remembers passwords, and it is a lot prettier.

inxygnuu
October 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Internet Explorer is by far the best web browser out there. Just kdding ff ftw <3.

I know, I think that IE is a failure. lol!

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I really like opera 9.6

I am loving it, but the fact that there is no inline spell check is kind of a boner-killer.

crimesaucer
October 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Firefox optimized with "-Os -march=athlon64 -msse3 -pipe" with a bunch of other things disabled in the mozconfig.

Loads fast, works nicely.

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I use Firefox because opera did not lay out the browser the way I would like it to be. I like how Firefox remembers passwords, and it is a lot prettier.

I like Opera's password manager much better than Fx's, and was one of the original reasons why I liked Opera better.

I really like opera 9.6

I am loving it, but the fact that there is no inline spell check is kind of a boner-killer.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

phoenix_snake
October 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
my favorite is google chrome, anyone knows when it will be released for ubuntu?

razerbug
October 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
my favorite is google chrome, anyone knows when it will be released for ubuntu?

Me too!

Chromeium is available for Linux via Wine - but I'm not going to try it till Google release a for Linux build of Chrome

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/

That isnt inline though. I want it to have the red line under words when i misspell.

phoenix_snake
October 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Me too!

Chromeium is available for Linux via Wine - but I'm not going to try it till Google release a for Linux build of Chrome
yes I heard about the wine thing, I am waiting for a native version as well :)

LaRoza
October 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
That isnt inline though. I want it to have the red line under words when i misspell.

I don't want that... Why? Because I use more words that flag it than I do mis-spell words.

dracule
October 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't want that... Why? Because I use more words that flag it than I do mis-spell words.

it is just easier for me to scan a box, and see if any words are underlined then right-click, click again, then go through word my word.

Chianti
October 21st, 2008, 02:49 AM
For Opera fans, Opera is almost the perfect browser. And it will continue to be "almost" perfect if it continues to share (only) 1% of the browser market... Site compatibility is a major problem with every new major version. Every x.0 version has so many compatibility problems that many people keep their old versions until problems are fixed (x.6-x.7 versions).

So... Opera fans (including me) will insist saying that "You must try/use Opera!".

Seriously... It is the only software I never thought of changing. Even if I tried FF for less than a day!:p FF with all the add-ons (around 12) that made it look descent was very buggy for my taste... It's really a matter of taste in the end.\\:D/

LaRoza
October 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
For Opera fans, Opera is almost the perfect browser. And it will continue to be "almost" perfect if it continues to share (only) 1% of the browser market... Site compatibility is a major problem with every new major version. Every x.0 version has so many compatibility problems that many people keep their old versions until problems are fixed (x.6-x.7 versions).

So... Opera fans (including me) will insist saying that "You must try/use Opera!".

You exaggerate. There are some issues with some sites, but not much more than Fx. Flash 10 works, Opera 9.60 I am using. Actually, I am still using the beta of Flash.

Site compatibility is a problem in sites that are poorly coded to begin with (gmail, as great as it is, doesn't use the best code and used to be broken a bit in Opera, now that Opera 9.60 is out, the site, not Opera, is broken)

dracule
October 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM
I am using 9.6 for reasons unknown. I just find myself drawn to it.

I think the reason opera fails to gain ground is that it has a very shabby plugin/addon system. Most things i see are Javascript or 'widgets' with the latter not directly modifying the code/structure of the page and the former not integrating well with the page. It is also 'kinda' hard to install the javascript addons available.

The only reason i am using opera now is because i finally set up privoxy so i have no use for adblock plus now.

Chianti
October 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
You exaggerate. There are some issues with some sites, but not much more than Fx. Flash 10 works, Opera 9.60 I am using. Actually, I am still using the beta of Flash.

Site compatibility is a problem in sites that are poorly coded to begin with (gmail, as great as it is, doesn't use the best code and used to be broken a bit in Opera, now that Opera 9.60 is out, the site, not Opera, is broken)

I don't say that it's Opera's fault... what I'm saying is that the lack of enough users make web-designers to not take in account Opera and test it. That is why with every new major release, some sites brake. And the problem is irritating if these sites are your favourites! And that's why I try to convince my friends to try Opera... but these damned add-ons make my "propaganda" ineffective!:lolflag:

Opera 9.61 fixed many problems... now it's almost perfect!:guitar:

Black Razor
October 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
If people like debating about their software, why shouldn't they? Just ignore us and avoid Recurring Discussions :)

Well, when your right your right! :lolflag:

Frak
October 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Firefox optimized with "-Os -march=athlon64 -msse3 -pipe" with a bunch of other things disabled in the mozconfig.

Loads fast, works nicely.
"-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -O2 -pipe -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -frename-registers -fivopts -ftree-vectorize"

Compiles pretty fast and runs very well.

crimesaucer
October 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM
"-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -O2 -pipe -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -frename-registers -fivopts -ftree-vectorize"

Compiles pretty fast and runs very well.

Do you think I should use -mtune as well as -march?

like: "-Os -march=athlon64 -mtune=athlon64 -msse3 -pipe"

..... I also use -j3 for my makeflag to quicken my compile time.

I have my whole system built on -march=athlon64 and everything feels fast, I'm just wondering if I should use both -march and -mtune?

Frak
October 25th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Do you think I should use -mtune as well as -march?

like: "-Os -march=athlon64 -mtune=athlon64 -msse3 -pipe"

..... I also use -j3 for my makeflag to quicken my compile time.

I have my whole system built on -march=athlon64 and everything feels fast, I'm just wondering if I should use both -march and -mtune?
You can, but I think march and mtune do the same thing.

crimesaucer
October 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
You can, but I think march and mtune do the same thing.

Yeah, I read somewhere that sometimes -march wont work with a compile but -mtune will..... (but I think they were saying to use -march=athlon64 -mtune=generic)

I'll probably just keep things as they are.

aysiu
November 2nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Remember that almost all keyboard combos can be changed in Opera ;) Can you show me how to change the keyboard combination so that Control-Click opens in a background tab? I can't figure out how to do this in Opera.

kuja
November 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Can you show me how to change the keyboard combination so that Control-Click opens in a background tab? I can't figure out how to do this in Opera.

I can't seem to figure a way to do it ... though there are a few other possibilities that are simple enough:
a) middle click will do it by default.
b) you can set it up so some other mouse button will do it
c) ctrl + shift + click will do it by default
d) you can use a mouse guesture for it (default is this "Move mouse pointer to link and hold right button, move down then up"
e) if you're a keyboard junkie, you can use ctrl + shift + enter to do it (default)

aysiu
November 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I can't seem to figure a way to do it ... though there are a few other possibilities that are simple enough:
a) middle click will do it by default.
b) you can set it up so some other mouse button will do it
c) ctrl + shift + click will do it by default
d) you can use a mouse guesture for it (default is this "Move mouse pointer to link and hold right button, move down then up"
e) if you're a keyboard junkie, you can use ctrl + shift + enter to do it (default) No, I really want Control-click to do it.

I have an Eee PC, so the middle-click is very difficult to do, and I don't like Control-shift-click, which is why I want to change it to Control-click (which, right now, opens in the foreground instead of the background). The mouse gesture seems too complicated.

I appreciate you trying to help but I want Control-click to open in a new tab in the background.

lukjad007
November 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Does anyone think that the Spreadfirefox guys are slightly over-zealous?

I mean, prancing around with the picture of a fox painted on your face, or on a t-shirt doesn't sound very sane to me..

And the browser, well, I know it is a free product, and it is very good, but compared to Opera 8, I think it has a few problems.

Number 1. It is slow to load. Opera is almost instant.
Number 2. It freezes sometimes, when loading a lot of tabs.
Number 3. The problems with the profiles.. How many times have I lost my default profile with all the bookmarks and thingies in it?

IE is definitely worse than Opera and Firefox but it loads faster than Firefox. I don't know why FF is so sluggish, but I think it should be resolved. Who agrees?
I really don't like Opera. I like Firefox's addons. End of story.

cardinals_fan
November 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Can you show me how to change the keyboard combination so that Control-Click opens in a background tab? I can't figure out how to do this in Opera.
http://tough-to-find.blogspot.com/2008/06/opera-ctrl-click-to-open-in-new-pagetab.html

aysiu
November 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
http://tough-to-find.blogspot.com/2008/06/opera-ctrl-click-to-open-in-new-pagetab.html
I was hoping for a simpler solution than that. Thanks for the link, though. I'll see when I get around to trying it out.

cardinals_fan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
I was hoping for a simpler solution than that. Thanks for the link, though. I'll see when I get around to trying it out.
You could always use a drag-down mouse gesture, but that works (it only takes ~3 minutes).

Actually, I'm using Firefox at the moment. Vimperator is so good :D

aysiu
November 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
You could always use a drag-down mouse gesture, but that works (it only takes ~3 minutes).

Actually, I'm using Firefox at the moment. Vimperator is so good :D
See the thing is I don't really want to use Opera. I actually prefer Firefox. I'm just curious as to whether I can get Opera into a usable state or not, and that curiosity slows down considerably the more complicated the workarounds get.

Firefox does things the way I want them to. I know some prefer the way Opera does things, but I don't.

lukjad007
November 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Double poster! :evil:

On a side note, why does that happen? It seem to happen more when there is a higher traffic too.

cardinals_fan
November 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Double poster! :evil:

On a side note, why does that happen? It seem to happen more when there is a higher traffic too.
It happens when the "Submit" button is pressed twice. This is more likely when traffic is high because the forums run slower and people are more likely to click again.

magnus0
November 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I really like Firefox, but I'm forced to use Opera because with Compiz enabled, Firefox is just too slow. It switches tabs slow and scrolls very sloppy. But Opera is very fast

Frak
November 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
It happens when the "Submit" button is pressed twice. This is more likely when traffic is high because the forums run slower and people are more likely to click again.
It's happened to me plenty of times, and I've only clicked the submit button once. IIRC, this is a known vBulletin issue.

lukjad007
November 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
It's happened to me plenty of times, and I've only clicked the submit button once. IIRC, this is a known vBulletin issue.
+1
I only click once and I get a double post.

monkman
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I wonder why so many people use opera. i mean it's about 10 to 20 times slower than firefox. at least on my pc. (c2d, 2GB ram, 7200RPM hdd, ubuntu 8.04 64bit) opera 64 bit deb file from opera.com

EDIT: it seems that disabling ipv6 systemwide makes great improvement.

Roinator
February 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Maybe I am all alone here, but for me (running Ibex and a 1.46 Ghz dual processor) Opera is choppy in comparison to both Epiphany and Firefox. Epiphany seems to be the fastest of the three by far, too. Which is odd, because both Epiphany and Firefox run on gecko. I feel like I am stuck to Firefox though because of certain add-ons and other things I cannot replicate in Epiphany, not to mention Firefox just seems a bit more stable and its UI is more refined.

(^^ Sorry about any grammatical errors. English is not my best subject.)

I want to see are some speed tests with loading relatively script heavy pages like YouTube or something. I don't know how, or I would do it myself. Anyone else share my curiousness?

stopie
February 25th, 2009, 08:32 AM
ff is my preference.

opera is for hippies

(im just kidding...last time I used opera was 3 years ago so I truly cant compare the two)

wmcbrine
February 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Opera's for someone, but I don't think it's hippies. Surely hippies prefer open source software. :D

ikisham
February 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Opera's for someone, but I don't think it's hippies. Surely hippies prefer open source software. :D

Yes, that's true. Firefox is default in ubuntu, works pretty well, so unless somebody needs a feature unique to Opera I don't see why change.

docus
February 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Opera is more stable and runs faster than Firefox on my Thinkpad T60, so I run Opera - but all else being equal I would probably prefer to use Firefox (more intuitive interface)

zeroemissions
February 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Opera has heaps of cool features inbuilt (less plug-ins needed) and is fast. Probably targeted by less malware too (is that even an issue in linux?)

The major reason I like firefox better though is compatibility. There are a few websites I frequent (including LMS pages at uni) that just don't like opera. I'm sure it will get better, but while my uni officially supports firefox, that's the browser I'll be using...

Vorian Grey
February 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I use to be a big Opera fan but my interest in it has waned the last couple of years. I'm not much of a Firefox fan either but I do love Seamonkey.

R33D3M33R
February 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I used to like Firefox (been using it since Firebird 0.6) more than Opera, but times have changed. The startup speed didn't improve much and on slower system is Firefox painfully slow. Also the 3.x Windows version doesn't exit properly. So I'm using only Opera now (on both, Linux and Windows). In Linux I was using Konqueror too for almost a year, but since it supported some google features very bad, I switched to Opera. It is simply the best browser I have tried so far.

wmcbrine
February 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Opera has heaps of cool features inbuilt (less plug-ins needed) and is fast. Probably targeted by less malware too (is that even an issue in linux?)I'm not aware of any Linux malware, no.

Bart_D
February 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Google Chrome(for Linux) will wipe the floor with both(in terms of speed.....which is all I care about). Until then, I voted for Opera. Firefox makes me want to throw up.

metalmaniac248
March 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
i like to use dark themes on my Ubuntu box and firefox downt play nice with them, however opera works fine on all web pages with a dark theme, and as i cant see any difference i terms of speed etc, im gonna be using opera from now on. Though im quite sure chrome will smash opera to peices, when we finally get it on linux

Rokurosv
March 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I still like FF because it has Firebug :D. But as a personal rule if I use KDE I use Opera, if I use any GTK DE I use Firefox. The new Opera 10 plays really well with Qt 4+

MedellinManDem
March 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I run FF on my laptop which is fairly fast. On my older PC I run Opera though. While I' not too pleased with its appearance (ugly fonts) it's fast as hell.

mikeslt1
March 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
From a Linux Hardy user of around 5 months I've used Firefox the most, like it alot. Just learning Opera, seems interesting.

On Firefox I tried to update it to 3.07 before the update manager showed it. Somehow I broke it, and I can only start firefox through the terminal, if I click on the FF icon I get a page with no content, bookmarks missing. Starting through terminal FF working normally.

C!oud
March 10th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Vimperopera FTW! :D

gaffurabi
March 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
i use firefox because, opera is impotent in the following:

-no autocomplete!, and i dont like using 3rd party plugins to do it
-bad engine, okay we all love w3c but it fails to render most of the sites i visit correctly

if they can fix those issues one day the world will be a better place :D

lukjad007
March 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Die thread, DIE!

darksideforge
March 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Love me some Firefox 3.0!!

jatinps
October 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
With the recent firefox 3.5 bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.5/+bug/401823 hindering my browsing experience and filling my terminal with tons of "(firefox:16484): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead" logs, I have moved to opera till things are fixed :)

sports fan Matt
October 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm trying my best to use Opera these days. I'm running into a few pages that aren't loading as snappy as i'd like, but thats minor. Themes seem to play well with Opera also :)

Penguin Guy
October 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I don't use Opera because:

I'd miss the addons, and
The logo looks gay

linux4life88
October 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I wish there was an option for both. I use Firefox for my day to day surfing and such but Opera is also a great browser. Every time I create a new website I test it on Firefox and Opera only. In my opinion if it works on these two then it should work on almost any browser somewhat well.

docus
October 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Epiphany FTW! Fast, stable, light on resources, easily customisable. Can't ask for more really.

kasrawis
October 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
firefox is faster lighter and easer having alot of plugins the most lovely things that they way it searchs the text

i love firefox

LepeKaname
November 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I use both (Opera an Firefox)... also sometimes Epiphany...

kio_http
November 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
This forum has most Ubuntu users where Firefox is the default browser. Therefore the result of this poll could have been predicted before hand!

aysiu
November 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
This forum has most Ubuntu users where Firefox is the default browser. Therefore the result of this poll could have been predicted before hand!
Can you show me a non-Ubuntu poll (any operating system, actually) in which Opera use trounces Firefox use?

(It can't be on an Opera website, obviously.)

This one (http://www.sevenforums.com/chillout-room/20526-vote-your-favorite-web-browser.html) from the Windows 7 forum has almost 50% using Firefox and almost 5% using Opera.

Zoot7
November 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Firefox is my choice merely for the addons alone.

I also use Opera on the work/college PCs because the portable version is extremely quick.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Can you show me a non-Ubuntu poll (any operating system, actually) in which Opera use trounces Firefox use?

(It can't be on an Opera website, obviously.)

This one (http://www.sevenforums.com/chillout-room/20526-vote-your-favorite-web-browser.html) from the Windows 7 forum has almost 50% using Firefox and almost 5% using Opera.

Can you show me any operating system in which Opera is default browser?

The thread is not a browser war. Each one has his own preferences.

And can you tell me how many Windows users even know about Opera and how many have even tried it out.

aysiu
November 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Can you show me any operating system in which Opera is default browser? I don't have to.

Firefox is more popular than Opera on both Windows (for which Internet Explorer is the default browser) and Mac (for which Safari is the default browser).

You were trying to assert that Firefox trumped Opera in this poll because it is the default browser in Ubuntu. I was simply pointing out that Firefox being the default in Ubuntu is not the primary reason more people here use it than use Opera:

Dougie187
November 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Chromium is very good as well, thought it's still not official (chrome) yet.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I don't have to.

Firefox is more popular than Opera on both Windows (for which Internet Explorer is the default browser) and Mac (for which Safari is the default browser).

You were trying to assert that Firefox trumped Opera in this poll because it is the default browser in Ubuntu. I was simply pointing out that Firefox being the default in Ubuntu is not the primary reason more people here use it than use Opera:

I'm not denying that Firefox has much more users than Opera. And no although sites where the experianced users visit all show firefox to be more. IE still has a slightly bigger usage as it has been assesed. Though I'm sure firefox will soon overtake.

Personally, I have nothing against Firefox but I do prefer Opera because its more lightweight and featured (for me)

But I do prefer Firefox's addons to Opera widgets.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I don't have to.

Also if you don't mind I would like you to stop flamming the thread any more. This discussion between us ends HERE.

rattasongw
November 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
i use both Operafox and Firepera browser.

KiwiNZ
November 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Also if you don't mind I would like you to stop flamming the thread any more. This discussion between us ends HERE.

You are not staff , stop trying act as such.

kio_http
November 12th, 2009, 07:25 PM
You are not staff , stop trying act as such.

Sorry if I seemed persuasive, but I just don't want to get into conflicts.

WinterMadness
November 14th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Epiphany, Chrome, Opera/Firefox (tie)

Arup
November 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8489

Among Web browsers, Mozilla Firefox had the largest percentage of Web vulnerabilities, followed by Apple Safari, whose browser showed a vast increase in exploits, due to vulnerabilities reported in the Safari iPhone browser:

Been a Opera user since version 2x and continue to do so now. I try out other browsers from time to time but somehow Opera's interface appeals to me the most, not to mention its real world speed.

unitedoceanic
November 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
opera user since 1998

V for Vincent
November 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mostly chromium these days. Minimal interface, faster than firefox (not just for browsing but it starts up *much* faster, too) and it has the extensions I want.

jrusso2
November 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Someone dug this old thread up just to re start this argument?

garuda
June 10th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hey All,
First of all, HI. I am a newly ubuntu converted "Windows guy." I've been using Opera for the past 3 years now on Windows and found that it is the best browser out there! I am no tech geek, so probably I may be wrong, in which case my apologies...

As soon as I converted to Ubuntu, I downloaded Opera and here are somethings that I found it to be lacking on ubuntu when compared to windows -

The sync is not as elegant as it was on windows.
Speed Dial - I have the large speed dial setting on my browser and this in ubuntu cuts off some boundaries. Not that I am complaining but I could not help notice it.
Some webpages like YouTube which rely heavily on Flash are slower when compared to on Windows. And I observed this only on ubuntu.
CPU usage - This is not exactly a problem as ubuntu is not that heavy on cpu as windows is, but again I could not help it!
Other than this, I would prefer Opera to anyother browser anytime... Anyway this is my 2 cents!:p