PDA

View Full Version : Name the rudest IRC experiences you've had

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM
just out of curiosity, what was your rudest experience on irc, and what channel it happened in. (irc.freenode.net)

as for me, i've had my worst experience in #html, and a slight annoyance on ##mac.

on #html, i was asking for some help on a css stylesheet. i didn't know how to align a website to make it more centered in the background image (i am a beginner in html somewhat). so this one guy starts telling me "yea you should learn html first." and i said " you know you don't have to reply to me if you don't want to, because i dont have the time to learn every aspect of html. i was just asking if anybody could be so kind as to help me on this small matter." or something like that. and he kicked me after a few more rebuttles. i was pissed.

on ##mac, this is more annoying than rude, i was using some AIM-type language, like "u" for "you" and "r" for "are". for some reason, and this is the only channel i've ever experienced this, using AIM language pisses people off, so to not get kicked i had to comply with typing normally, as if they can't understand what abbreviations are...

Beamerboy
December 1st, 2006, 03:52 AM
just out of curiosity, what was your rudest experience on irc, and specifically what channel it happened in. (irc.freenode.net)

as for me, i've had my worst experience in #html, and a slight annoyance on ##mac.

on #html, i was asking for some help on a css stylesheet. i didn't know how to align a website to make it more centered in the background image (i am a beginner in html somewhat). so this one guy starts telling me "yea you should learn html first." and i said " you know you don't have to reply to me if you don't want to, because i dont have the time to learn every aspect of html. i was just asking if anybody could be so kind as to help me on this small matter." or something like that. and he kicked me after a few more rebuttles. i was pissed.

on ##mac, this is more annoying than rude, i was using some AIM-type language, like "u" for "you" and "r" for "are". for some reason, and this is the only channel i've ever experienced this, using AIM language pisses people off, so to not get kicked i had to comply with typing normally, as if they can't understand what abbreviations are...
#linux on pretty much any network, particularly efnet and undernet.

Paladine

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 03:54 AM
damn, can i get a thread title change? i meant more "Name the rudest IRC experiences you've had"

i don't want to point fingers at any channel in particular.

Dual Cortex
December 1st, 2006, 03:56 AM
Don't want to be mean or anything either, but the use of "AIM" language is actually somewhat annoying ;) ... kind of reminds me of the annoying myspace world :P.

Beamerboy
December 1st, 2006, 04:04 AM
damn, can i get a thread title change? i meant more "Name the rudest IRC experiences you've had"

i don't want to point fingers at any channel in particular.
Any experience in #linux is a bad one ;) It is full of elitist a$$e$.

Paladine

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:07 AM
Don't want to be mean or anything either, but the use of "AIM" language is actually somewhat annoying ;) ... kind of reminds me of the annoying myspace world :P.well c'mon, does it actually annoy you that much? i mean, it's completely comprehensible, the only reasons i do it is cause a) im used to aim b) u dont have to type as much

its not like leet speak or anything, its just using one-letter acronyms for stuff that is too common to type it all out!

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 04:16 AM
It does annoy me a little. I wouldn't kick a user for it or anything. It's just that (this is a personal interpretation) when people abbreviate to aim talk, I percieve them as being dumber, and I'm sure some other people percieve it that way too. now you've been around long enough that I know you're not dumb, so it's just a perception thing.

zenwhen
December 1st, 2006, 04:18 AM
well c'mon, does it actually annoy you that much? i mean, it's completely comprehensible, the only reasons i do it is cause a) im used to aim b) u dont have to type as much

its not like leet speak or anything, its just using one-letter acronyms for stuff that is too common to type it all out!

It really is that annoying. I ignore people in IRC when they do it.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:20 AM
AIMSpeak is a major pet peeve of mine. I don't understand why you would take the time to post in perfectly intelligible English here about how your AIMspeak was somehow not acceptable to an IRC channel.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:20 AM
It does annoy me a little. I wouldn't kick a user for it or anything. It's just that (this is a personal interpretation) when people abbreviate to aim talk, I percieve them as being dumber, and I'm sure some other people percieve it that way too. now you've been around long enough that I know you're not dumb, so it's just a perception thing.ah yes, perceptions, the world is full of misinterpretations (i did not think about it that way)

i guess people think that if u use aim talk that u are dumb, but i dont identify the two as being correlationally mutual, and certainly not causationally.

if somehow the prejudice against aim speech could be stopped...:rolleyes:

po0f
December 1st, 2006, 04:21 AM
#ubuntu, just a bunch of idling jerkfaces waiting to pounce on unsuspecting newbs. ;)

I haven't had any bad IRC experiences. I mainly go to #ubuntu/#python when I have a fancy (and previously, #gentoo) to help people out (both on freednode).

erik1397,

It does help if you use proper grammar and spelling. First impressions and all. I tend to take IRCers and posters who are unwilling to even bother spelling out their words correctly less seriously than others.

And most questions have already been answered ad nauseum, and are too common to answer over again. ;)

I'm not trying to bag on just you, just a particular gripe I have with anyone too lazy to type out their questions.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:22 AM
ah yes, perceptions, the world is full of misinterpretations (i did not think about it that way)

i guess people think that if u use aim talk that u are dumb, but i dont identify the two as being correlationally mutual, and certainly not causationally.

You are NOT a protected class, so don't wear the mantle of persecution. AIMspeak is simply not acceptable in some channels. These forums have an explicit ban on 13375p33k. Either accept the norms of the communities to which you have chosen to affiliate yourself, or leave them.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:23 AM
AIMSpeak is a major pet peeve of mine. I don't understand why you would take the time to post in perfectly intelligible English here about how your AIMspeak was somehow not acceptable to an IRC channel.i don't even think about it when i do it...thats the thing. sometimes i'll write in correct english, but sometimes an aim term will slip in, without even noticing it. i just think people r making too much of a big deal about it, i mean the point of irc is to communicate with each other, share ideas, and maybe provide support if you feel like it. but judging people for the way they're trying to communicate with you? now THAT seems infantile to me.

zenwhen
December 1st, 2006, 04:24 AM
ah yes, perceptions, the world is full of misinterpretations (i did not think about it that way)

FYI: "correlationally" and "causationally" are not words.

Making long words up in order to prove you have a vocabulary is more annoying than aim-talk.

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:25 AM
i don't even think about it when i do it...thats the thing. sometimes i'll write in correct english, but sometimes an aim term will slip in, without even noticing it. i just think people r making too much of a big deal about it, i mean the point of irc is to communicate with each other, share ideas, and maybe provide support if you feel like it. but judging people for the way they're trying to communicate with you? now THAT seems infantile to me.
You are what you say on the internet. If you don't like that fact--well, don't log on.

xopher
December 1st, 2006, 04:25 AM
#linux.fi @ Quakenet - The rudest of them all.

Really - when you join, you're automatically banned for a period of time, 10 or 30min, don't remember. When you ask something, doesn't matter how good it's put -- they ban you. A week later when you're maybe allowed to rejoin again, banned *waiting*, asking the same thing -- the guys laugh at you and say : 'didnt you learn already' - this aint a support channel! @ sets mode +b *Kicked*

Most of the users there are Gentooists, don't know if that has anything to do with it but Im not saying it doesnt either. :)

EDIT: Oh and by all means - try it out, you'll love it! ;)

zubrug
December 1st, 2006, 04:27 AM
I think you just validated the above post's. :-k

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:29 AM
You are NOT a protected class, so don't wear the mantle of persecution. AIMspeak is simply not acceptable in some channels. These forums have an explicit ban on 13375p33k. Either accept the norms of the communities to which you have chosen to affiliate yourself, or leave them.obviously, my posts have offended you enough to tell me to leave, because you think i use "leet speak", but this confuses me.

i certainly do not, and i actually hate leet speak. i only abbreviate like 4 or 5 things total, i don't consider that leet speak.

so basically what im trying to say is why would you start this harsh tone? all i wanted in this thread were some input from irc users about their bad experiences, and i shared my idea with them. thats it. i dont intend to offend anyone, so please, let's just keep this civil and let's just go back to the original topic.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:31 AM
FYI: "correlationally" and "causationally" are not words.

Making long words up in order to prove you have a vocabulary is more annoying than aim-talk.yea i was trying to think if those were actually words, but i decided they were understandable enough, and so i posted. i'm not trying to "boast" my vocab at all.

zenwhen
December 1st, 2006, 04:34 AM
obviously, my posts have offended you enough to tell me to leave, because you think i use "leet speak", but this confuses me.

i certainly do not, and i actually hate leet speak. i only abbreviate like 4 or 5 things total, i don't consider that leet speak.

so basically what im trying to say is why would you start this harsh tone? all i wanted in this thread were some input from irc users about their bad experiences, and i shared my idea with them. thats it. i dont intend to offend anyone, so please, let's just keep this civil and let's just go back to the original topic.

We are on the original topic. You wanted people to talk about their worst IRC experiences. My worst IRC experiences involve people using AIM talk, whining when you state that it makes them look childish, and then accusing people of being rude to them.

What is off topic about that?

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 04:36 AM
obviously, my posts have offended you enough to tell me to leave, because you think i use "leet speak", but this confuses me.

Read me more carefully.

What I am saying is that these forums have a stated policy against 13375p33k. I have closed threads and handed down infractions under that rule. It is simply not accepted here; those who wish to 'communicate' in that manner can find venues more appropriate for their preferred form of communication.

Likewise, AIMspeak is obviously not acceptable in many IRC channels. If you want to be heard there, you would do well to respect the norms of that community. If you persist in using AIMSpeak, you would be better off finding a venue more appropriate to your preferred form of communication.

The Internet is a textual medium, and, like it or not, you are what you write. You may have intrinsic value as a human being, created specially by God for a purpose unique to you and intended by Him--but the rest of the Internet has no knowledge of that other than by your words.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM
We are on the original topic. You wanted people to talk about their worst IRC experiences. My worst IRC experiences involve people using AIM talk, whining when you state that it makes them look childish, and then accusing people of being rude to them.

What is off topic about that?alright my bad, i misinterpreted that, because i thought you were directing it at me for some reason. point taken.

fuscia
December 1st, 2006, 04:43 AM
walk it off.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:44 AM
Read me more carefully.

What I am saying is that these forums have a stated policy against 13375p33k. I have closed threads and handed down infractions under that rule. It is simply not accepted here; those who wish to 'communicate' in that manner can find venues more appropriate for their preferred form of communication.

Likewise, AIMspeak is obviously not acceptable in many IRC channels. If you want to be heard there, you would do well to respect the norms of that community. If you persist in using AIMSpeak, you would be better off finding a venue more appropriate to your preferred form of communication.

The Internet is a textual medium, and, like it or not, you are what you write. You may have intrinsic value as a human being, created specially by God for a purpose unique to you and intended by Him--but the rest of the Internet has no knowledge of that other than by your words.ok good point. now you explained yourself well, and finally get what you were trying to say. point well taken. i just think that as forum admins, you guys should confront people with more patience and understanging, then with blunt attitudes such as "..or leave [the forum]"

but o well, let's not talk about it anymore, i understand your point.

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 04:44 AM
walk it off.ok...

so much for the spirit of ubuntu ...

zenwhen
December 1st, 2006, 05:56 AM
ok good point. now you explained yourself well, and finally get what you were trying to say. point well taken. i just think that as forum admins, you guys should confront people with more patience and understanging, then with blunt attitudes such as "..or leave [the forum]"

but o well, let's not talk about it anymore, i understand your point.

He didn't mean to leave the forums. He meant to leave the IRC rooms that do not want you using AIM-talk. That is the proper way out of the situation. We want you here. :)

vayu
December 1st, 2006, 05:57 AM
ok...

so much for the spirit of ubuntu ...

Sorry for your experiences on those channels AND on this thread. It seems that people could have expressed reasons for discomfort with aim talk without being harsh. I think maniacmusician described it best without attacking, it makes one seem less intelligent. It doesn't mean they are, it just seems like it. Don't get caught up in other peoples irritation. I highly disagree that one is what they write. A sentient being experiences on inumerable and intangible levels. What they type is a very small part of that. What one experiences in a fraction of a second can't be expressed in pages of writing.

maniacmusician
December 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM
it seems like this morphed beyond what it needed to be :) it just got blown out of proportion here. Kind of a waste of a potentially good thread *shakes head and walks off into the sunset*

mustang
December 1st, 2006, 06:11 AM
Sorry for your experiences on those channels AND on this thread. It seems that people could have expressed reasons for discomfort with aim talk without being harsh. I think maniacmusician described it best without attacking, it makes one seem less intelligent. It doesn't mean they are, it just seems like it. Don't get caught up in other peoples irritation. I highly disagree that one is what they write. A sentient being experiences on inumerable and intangible levels. What they type is a very small part of that. What one experiences in a fraction of a second can't be expressed in pages of writing.

Agreed. Some people had an axe to grind and they took it out on erik. Don't worry about them. Keep your head up ;)

JayTee
December 1st, 2006, 06:56 AM
probably the worst IRC channel I've had a bad experience in was #asterisk. In fairness I found several people there who were willing to help me but I also encountered a few who were downright rude and went out of their way to let you know they thought you were stupid. I had done quite a bit of reading and research and then went into the channel to ask some very carefully worded and specific questions only to get hit with RTFM and What part of the dialing plan don't you understand? Duh! and things like that. Maybe they're Cisco trolls just trying to discredit the Asterisk software but it wasn't a pleasant experience. I'm careful about who I ask questions of in there and when someone else chimes in I reply with, "Excuse me but I wasn't asking you a question or talking to you, I'm talking to "username" so why don't you go bother someone else if you don't want to help.
AIMspeak doesn't annoy me now as much as it used to but I still consider it a tool of the lazy, not so much as an indication of low intelligence. I think it's worse in IRC channels that are heavily used by people in other countries and english is a second language to them and AIMspeek only makes it more confusing for them.

tubasoldier
December 1st, 2006, 07:39 AM
I dont think I have had too many bad experiences with IRC. Of course I have been using it for 12 years. #LFD is really great. Hawkwind is very helpful. #mandriva is also a great place to find information about linux in general. #slackware is good because those guys can fix anything. I stay away from huge channels like #ubuntu and #debian. Too much happening in those places to actually get any help.

And AIM speak is friekin obnoxious. I absolutely hate it. Especially in a technical support channel. If you want a good specific answer then ask a good specific question. I especially hate when people enter an IRC channel and put on the caps lock. Yelling stupid things like HELLLLPPPP!!!! That is rediculous. The same things happen on the forums but no one seems to care as much here. Just state the issue and the specifics and wait for a specific answer about the issue. Its not that hard. Sorry they dont all work the way you want them to.

I have had far more rude experiences on forums than on IRC.

matthew
December 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM

i don't want to point fingers at any channel in particular.Done.

AlexC_
December 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM
While the channel is good, there is one mod in ##PHP I do not like and his strict attitude is annoying and unfair. For example someone asked for help regarding a project someone made in PHP and he wanted help installing it on his server. This mod then kicked him out of the channel with the reason something like 'Do not discuss scripts here'

The guy comes back in asking why he was kicked, so the mod disabled him from talking.

Seriously, I don't think this mod has ever laughed or been non-serious in his life!

shining
December 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Don't you think it's also hard for people trying to give help and support on IRC to users who are not willing to cooperate?
That means doing a minimum research on their side before asking questions, and then asking questions correctly (well written, and with enough information).
Of course, sometimes you can get very harsh answers, while not having said anything wrong. But since you didn't pay for this support, you can't complain. The only thing you can do is either find support somewhere else, or learn everything by yourself, and start to give a nicer support yourself to other people.
But in my experience, that's quite rare. Most irc channels I've been in are nice, and have regularly very helpful people. So I'm quite happy with it :)

Brunellus
December 1st, 2006, 01:55 PM
In a textual medium, other users simply have no way of knowing all the intangibles, unless there is a Soul-over-IP system that nobody has told me about yet. The intricacies of your soul and your unspoken aspirations and desires are simply not relevant to me if you cannot express them in a way that I can understand and accept.

If you don't want to bother baring your soul on IRC, at least make the effort to ask technical questions in a proper form--that way those users who *can* help you *know* that they can help you. You are already asking for help on IRC--meet that community halfway and at least try to conform to their rules for as long as you need their help.

This doesn't mean that there aren't arbitrary, arrogant, or abusive chann ops out there. There are. But by and large, each IRC channel (especially large/persistent ones with a number of "regulars") has its own set of cultural norms about what is and is not acceptable behavior. One does not behave the same way in #ubuntu as one might in, say, #goatse, in the same way that one does not behave the same way in a crowded bar as one would at church.

argie
December 1st, 2006, 02:06 PM
I can't stand abbreviations. The only time I put up with them is when they're friends.

However, saying "laughing out loud", or "rolling on floor, laughing" is kind of stupid, and that's just a way of saying "that made me smile" so I don't mind that, though smilies are easier and nicer. I like smilies, in moderation.

I guess we all have our quirks, but when in rome, do as romans do.

Anyway, I've never really had a rude experience, unless people spamming the channel with "help plz/pls" followed by some problem that you try to help with by providing a link to the solution and they keep spamming counts. (ugh! horrible sentence)

ubuntuman001
December 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM
coming from a completely non-offensive point of view, i just cannot understand the mentality some IRC users have, of "you should be well-learned and competent of a subject before you ask for help, and if you're annoying, I'll tell you how annoying you are, and then possibly kick you out."

I understand that non-competent and annoying users might kind-of annoy you sometimes, but there is always a perfect solution...ignoring them. You don't have to reply at all, after all, you only provide help if you want to really. So though you might get quirked by someone or by something, can't you just ignore the thing/user, or is it that unbearable that you have to come out and say how dumb or ignorant or immature the users is, and then use the /kick user command.

i am not directing this toward anybody, so please don't take this on offense, as I've already stated.

holylucifer
December 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
I Use aim lauguage ,to speak quicker and less time typeing,and it does not annoy me.because i read u as = you , r as =are ,lol = as laughing out loud , well lol does annoy me a bit, because thats the one i hear the most, and stfu as well annoys me a bit more then lol,

You see,

In a game i don't mind,

Xzallion
December 2nd, 2006, 03:37 AM
AIM/"leet" speak is bad for the internet. It has no standardized rules, confuses people, and even if its just abbreviations, some people don't understand abbreviations. If you use abbreviations, treat it like a paper and write it out the first time like this: "Ubuntu FTW(For The Win)!"

Typing is very easy, and can be done in numerous ways (My sister can chicken peck the keys at 80 words a minute, Its insane.) If you have a disability or something there is voice input and other things (at least in windows, I'm sure there is something for linux but I haven't ever seen it myself.)

But I digress, my point is are you really saying your too lazy to spend that extra second or two to spell out "are" instead of just typing "r"? In case you are wondering, I personally detest "leet speak" in all its forms.

To be a bit more on topic, I can't rememember the channel, it was some form of linux support channel, but I couldn't get help because to many users where spamming for help and not actually listening for help.One person saw me and said he couldn't help, but said I should probably check back later after "we deal with these morons.". Later on it was fixed, but those users were really rude and just causing grief for everyone.

Also I tend to not be bothered by spelling or grammar errors, long as it looks like the person is trying and being polite. Not everyone has English as their first language, and even most English speaking people can't do a great job one hundred percent of the time.

Chimes
December 2nd, 2006, 04:40 AM
The rudest experience I have ever had? On #perl on freenode.net. I must say in advance: I can be kind of aggressive, competitive, or have a bit of an ego; it's a weakness. This one guy ruffled my feathers and got into an argument with him because he was busy arguing everything I said, so I eventually just stopped talking, and then when I started talking a while later, he kept on happening to disagree with me because he had some grudge against me, because he thought, or wanted to "prove" that I had no idea what I was talking about or something, at this point. I just don't go there anymore. See, you can still tell that I'm kind of angry in this post.

I don't like being a jerk like that. :-?
It's hard. And it's very hard for me to admit I'm wrong. Especially when I think the person arguing me is just doing it to show off how cool and right they are or something. I get pissy and act like a heartless jerk. And I might sound like I've put it all behind me now, but that's bull. I know that half the time, if I get in another argument, I'll be all fighting all over again, just cause I can't think my way out of my goddamn testosterone. I feel primitive. 'Only human' isn't any excuse, some people just have an easier time being peaceful, or just are more conscientious about it... I dunno. :neutral:

One of the strange things about programming is that people get so uppity over it. It's just code. I don't know, maybe after all that boredom you're desperate for something, anything, to liven life up a little. Or maybe people tend to inject emotion into anything social. Hm.

Albi
December 2nd, 2006, 04:52 AM
Well I went to the GNAA IRC just to see if it existed. They were talking about uploading some crap on Soulseek and when I asked questions they told me to stfu and banned me. Then I dodged the ban and they threatened to call my ISP if I didn't leave (I didn't even say anything after)