PDA

View Full Version : copying and pasting from emacs to firefox

styracosaurus
December 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM
So, I want to copy a block of code from a file that is open in emacs, and paste it into Firefox. What's the deal? When I select copy in the emacs edit menu, and paste in Firefox, I get the last thing I copied in Firefox...

I've noticed this elsewhere... the whole clipboard thing is sort of iffy? Is it just me? Am I a total noob and am missing something crucial?

styracosaurus
December 1st, 2006, 03:50 AM
Okay, this is embarrassing!! I tried the little "clipper" tool in the KDE taskbar... it did what I want. Although it still seems a little complicated? Does it add anything you SELECT to the clipboard?

Anyway, I'm usually not this silly! Thanks for the help! ;)

Arndt
December 1st, 2006, 10:54 AM
So, I want to copy a block of code from a file that is open in emacs, and paste it into Firefox. What's the deal? When I select copy in the emacs edit menu, and paste in Firefox, I get the last thing I copied in Firefox...

I've noticed this elsewhere... the whole clipboard thing is sort of iffy? Is it just me? Am I a total noob and am missing something crucial?

My opinion is that the whole clipboard thing _is_ sort of iffy. It started with X (the window server) providing several mechanisms for copying/pasting between programs: clipboard, cut buffers and selections (I may be calling the same thing by two different names here - I don't remember), one of them with very complicated semantics, so it was never clear exactly where a copy operation put the text or where a paste operation fetched it. Programmers have a large scope for making mistakes or design errors here.

One program that has sometimes helped me is 'xcutsel'. Other times, it has helped to paste the text into a terminal window and then copy it again.

lnostdal
December 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Okay, this is embarrassing!! I tried the little "clipper" tool in the KDE taskbar... it did what I want. Although it still seems a little complicated? Does it add anything you SELECT to the clipboard?

Anyway, I'm usually not this silly! Thanks for the help! ;)

The way to do it in *nix is not to use the menus. You mark the text you want to copy with your left-button, then middle-click (or both left and right at the same time) at the spot you want it pasted.

This is from Emacs.

..you'll find this way better and easier than in Windows.. :)

ohgod
December 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
I added these lines to my .emacs file to tell emacs to always interact with the clipboard (the default is that emacs ignores the clipboard on linux I think). Anyway, copying-and-pasting from/to emacs and any other X program works for me:

;; make emacs use the clipboard
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

dwblas
December 5th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Glad you found a solution. Also remember that you can open a file in Firefox and cut and paste within Firefox if you run into this problem with another app.

thomasaaron
December 5th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Nice, thanks.
I've been trying to figure that one out too.

Tom

lukew
January 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I added these lines to my .emacs file to tell emacs to always interact with the clipboard (the default is that emacs ignores the clipboard on linux I think). Anyway, copying-and-pasting from/to emacs and any other X program works for me:

;; make emacs use the clipboard
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

Thank You!!! This worked for me!!

Anyone else managed to get dragging and dropping files / text into emacs? Can this work? Should this work? Acording to GNU it should!!!

Thanks

Luke