PDA

View Full Version : I need ideias and advices on a small installation

pedrotuga
November 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ok, i got a 1Gb usb memory device. I want to install a linux distro that i can keep there and costumize my way.

It's no worth to be saing that i only need this or that... i like gnome and nautilus and i would like to keep them. i can use it for ftp, ssh, bittorrent, cdburning, etc.
So... i have a dapper cd, is there anyway can make a small intalation with gnome?

How much does gnome takes?

Where can i save some megabytes? For example... the games... i can take the all away, and so al office apps.

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM
check out NDSL (Not Damn Small Linux). It is very small. I think Gnome would be too big on anything for a 1 gig hard drive. Sorry. If you want a good small live disk, check out NimbleX nimblex.net

pelle.k
November 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I dont know. 1GB seems a bit small for such a task. Maube you could utilize the "persistent" feature of the LIVE-CD instead?
I guess xubuntu (with a bit of luck) would fit in a 1 GB install. If that is not an option, maybe you should try DSL or puppy linux?
As far as installing it, i guess you just push the (alternate?) install cd in the drive and choose to partition the usb stick. When you're done, setup BIOS on the computer to boot from USB first, cd second and hd third.

lyceum
November 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I dont know. 1GB seems a bit small for such a task. Maube you could utilize the "persistent" feature of the LIVE-CD instead?
I guess xubuntu (with a bit of luck) would fit in a 1 GB install. If that is not an option, maybe you should try DSL or puppy linux?
As far as installing it, i guess you just push the (alternate?) install cd in the drive and choose to partition the usb stick. When you're done, setup BIOS on the computer to boot from USB first, cd second and hd third.

I tried to throw Xubuntu on a 2 gig once, it took up too much space. You are right, a live CD would be the best option here.

pedrotuga
December 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
mmm i looked around, i think i will go for puppy.

Sometimes it takes like forever to find info about the distros in their webpages.

What is DSL based on? what about puppy?

slimdog360
December 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM
how about wolvix cub http://wolvix.org/node/373

Titus A Duxass
December 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM
I'd go with puppy, I have a 256mb stick with puppy on it. Works a treat.

pedrotuga
December 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
I am running puppy. What a great distro! The fastest i have seen. Well, that's because i am still runing it on the ram, but i will put it on my usd stick.

Now that i say wolvix i got a bit...
I think i will give it a try before sticking with puppy. I should say that i am very surprised with this. I didnt have so high expectations on this. So far i love it.
Wolvix would be cool because of the gtk aplications. I have a AMD k6 300Mhz. The problem is... 64mb of ram :S... i will still give it a try with puppy.

Thanks guys.