PDA

View Full Version : when will it end!!!

TheRingmaster
November 30th, 2006, 04:14 AM
how much space will google give away! I seems like the space will just go up and up. They must have terabytes upon terabytes of space readily available. wow.

xopher
November 30th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Yeah well - most of the people only use a fraction of what's available -- and that's what google is counting on. This is how they can give out more and more space. And Im not sure, but I think that if everyone would simultaneously fill their gmails up to the cap -- google would run out of space.. If someone else knows better - please enlighten me :)

And hey, Im not complaining, I like the free space they give me ;)

Peepsalot
November 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM
hehe, you can almost buy a terabyte in a single hard drive these days. I'd guess that google has a few petabytes, maybe exabytes ;). But it doesn't really matter, because after a certain point, no one is actually using all that space. Maybe a handful of people, but I think the vast majority will stay under a gigabyte for as long as they use their account.

adam.tropics
November 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
...but I think the vast majority will stay under a gigabyte for as long as they use their account.

That's one of those sweeping statements you just know is gonna come back and haunt you later!!...like when google starts to let people email movies!

Peepsalot
November 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM
That's one of those sweeping statements you just know is gonna come back and haunt you later!!...like when google starts to let people email movies!
The MPAA would shut them down before that happens :p

adam.tropics
November 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
The MPAA would shut them down before that happens :p

....not all movies floating around the net are stolen or illegal! (Many are that bad they perhaps should be though)

zgornel
November 30th, 2006, 09:41 PM
....not all movies floating around the net are stolen or illegal! (Many are that bad they perhaps should be though)

Yes they are ! :mrgreen:

hkgonra
November 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe a handful of people, but I think the vast majority will stay under a gigabyte for as long as they use their account.

640k will be all anyone ever needs . :rolleyes:

Lord Illidan
November 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
The thing about GMail is that the revenue gained by google from the ads every day is enough to buy more than enough large harddrives for 1000s of accounts.

ixus_123
November 30th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Hare's a free film. Not the greatest thing you'll ever see but it's free & the effects are suprisingly good!

It's a sci-fi star trek meets babylon 5 type affair
http://www.starwreck.com/

Yes they are ! :mrgreen:

zgornel
December 1st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Hare's a free film. Not the greatest thing you'll ever see but it's free & the effects are suprisingly good!

It's a sci-fi star trek meets babylon 5 type affair
http://www.starwreck.com/
:) Not to mention the movies with expired copyrights.

ChrisNiemy
December 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM
You can use the space of your Gmail Account as a filesystem. :D
Haven't tried it. The packages is called gmailfs in the universe repository (edgy).

You need to compile a kernel with fuse before.

Anyone tried this before?

TheRingmaster
December 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM
gspace is a nice file system also. It is a firefox extension

zgornel
December 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM
You can use the space of your Gmail Account as a filesystem. :D
Haven't tried it. The packages is called gmailfs in the universe repository (edgy).

You need to compile a kernel with fuse before.

Anyone tried this before?
Only in windows, when it first appeared. Worked well.