PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations

ron126
May 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
I want to make those cool looking graphics and visual effects like in the Matrix movies or Kung Fu Hustle

What programming language should i start and what programs are used for these kinds of projects?

On the other hand the ultimate question is where do i start?

Helps are much appreciated.

defkewl
May 1st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Are you developing on KDE or Gnome?

If on KDE try QtDesigner or KDEdeveloper
On gnome go ahead with Glade

To start off, you need to learn C/C++ first :)

Good luck

ron126
May 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Well, im a computer newbie running ubuntu and win xp.

Can please eloborate KDE or Gnome? :smile:

toojays
May 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
I don't really see how defkewl's post has anything to do with your original question. :(

You might need to elaborate on your question though . . . I don't know whether you want to make visual effects for a video or still image, or whether you mean you want to program them for a game or similar interactive program.

If you want to make still images or video clips, you should probably start with a visual effects program like The GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/), Blender (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html) or CinePaint (http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/). These kinds of programs usually allow you to write scripts using a language like Scheme or Python, but you need to be familliar with the program before you start to script stuff for it.

If you want to do visual effects programming, you will need to learn programming concepts, and then learn how to do graphics programming. Probably the best way to go about that, if you are a computer newbie, is to find a good computer graphics textbook, and then learn the programming language used in the textbook.

Either way, it is going to take many hours of dedicated practice/study before you can make effects like in the Matrix. That kind of skill doesn't happen overnight.

Good luck.

ron126
May 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks toojays, blender seems cool. \\:D/

Firstly, i just want to understand the insight in making the movie Matrix. Remember a scene in Matrix Reloaded where 100 Smith agents going after Neo? I heard it invloves something called CGI, whatever it is, i feel like taking a shot at this skill.

So, what is the actual programs they use? Any idea? Or is there other program that is able to create the same powerful "visual effect" just like in the Matrix?

Sorry for unelaborated question, im still a newbie :-?

Help is much appreciated

toojays
May 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Okay, I have seen that movie, so I know what you're talking about. For 100 Agents they probably would have used some automatic programing. On a larger scale you have some of the battle scenes from the Lord of the Rings movies, where they had 1000s of soldiers on scene those were definitely automated to some degree. So when you ask if there is a program to do this, well I guess there is, but it would be unique to a given scene of a given movie.

I don't work in the animation industry, but from what I've read, companies in that field use a great many tools even for just one scene. So for instance they will use a 3D modelling program, some other tool for rendering, something else for rotoscoping, etc etc. Some of these tools will have been written in-house, some will be Free software, some will be proprietry. Most of the tools will have a scripting language, so the tool can be controlled by a custom program.

So maybe for a scene like where Neo is being chased by hundreds of agents, they might have written a script to reuse the Agent model many times during a scene, to move him in a particular way between frames. (Here "script" just means "program".) This script would've hooked together several different applications to compose and render each frame.

By the way, CGI just means "computer generated imagery"; it is can mean anything where the computer is used for special effects, etc.

ron126
May 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks toojays for your informative information :razz: :razz: :razz: