PDA

View Full Version : Username change...please.

justinjstark
November 29th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I would like to change my username to

justinjstark

Would an admin out there be willing to do this for me? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

catlett
November 29th, 2006, 01:35 AM
You can just add another user with that username and give the new user administration powers. Then just select thyat user at login.
Add the new user

sudo useradd justinjstark
Thne add justinjstark to the admin group so he will have sudo powers

sudo adduser justinjstark admin

You can delete the old user after you make the new user with (that is if you want to. You could keep them both. It's up to you)

sudo userdel oldname

justinjstark
November 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Sorry, I meant forum username.

PriceChild
November 29th, 2006, 01:39 AM
You can just add another user with that username and give the new user administration powers. Then just select thyat user at login.
Add the new user

sudo useradd justinjstarkThne add justinjstark to the admin group so he will have sudo powers

sudo adduser justinjstark adminYou can delete the old user after you make the new user with (that is if you want to. You could keep them both. It's up to you)

sudo userdel oldnameSlightly off topic now... but I STRONGLY reccomend you to use the gnome gui to perform this operation. There's a few other groups you may like to be a part of that it'll sort out.

Pricey

justinjstark
November 29th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Add the new user

sudo useradd justinjstark
Thne add justinjstark to the admin group so he will have sudo powers

sudo adduser justinjstark admin

You can delete the old user after you make the new user with (that is if you want to. You could keep them both. It's up to you)

sudo userdel oldname

BTW: An easier way to do what you're suggesting is with the usermod command.
usermod -l newusername -m oldusername This will simply change the linux username without having to worry about losing your settings or home directory.

But, to clarify, I want a username change ON THESE FORUMS, not on my linux install. :)

ubuntu-geek
November 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Please send me a PM with the new username