View Full Version : Intro Meeting

Vorian
November 28th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Introductory Meeting
When: Wednesday Dec 6th 2006
Start: 20.00 EST
End: 21.00 EST
Where: #ubuntu-ohio on irc.freenode.netSuggested topics:

Ubuntu advocacy - setting distribution points in ohio.
Keysigning party (pgp keys)
Becoming an Ubuntero

Thoughts.....?

steven8
November 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I got it set up. I connected and everything! No one was there at this time, but I'll try to be there some tomorrow night.

cstudent
November 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'll be there. Already have a pgp key and I'm already an Ubuntero. So I'm ahead of the game, which is how I like it. :cool:

jpeddicord
November 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I'll be there. Already have a pgp key and I'm already an Ubuntero. So I'm ahead of the game, which is how I like it. :cool:
Same here ;)

tshirtz1013
November 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Anyone that doesnt have a key yet, would be helpful to get through it. I did it but then had to figure out why gmail wouldnt read the reply mail (encrypted) so I had to set up Evolution with gmail.

jpeddicord
November 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I got it set up. I connected and everything! No one was there at this time, but I'll try to be there some tomorrow night.
There is 7 people online right now, not counting ChanServ. Also, if anyone noticed, it is in open-topic mode, so anyone can change the topic. Feel free to; I have a feeling we'll get bored of the current one quick.

meatballhat
November 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'll be there - pgp key in hand :D

_lynX
November 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Next week is the start of my winter break, so I'll be there for sure. :)

Vorian
November 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Next week is the start of my winter break, so I'll be there for sure. :)

Ahhh, to be in college again.;)

_lynX
November 30th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Ahhh, to be in college again.;)

I'm despising it the more I'm here. I'm stuck in one of the University of Cincinnati's community colleges until the beginning of next year, when I transfer to the main campus actually in Cincinnati or somewhere else. Community colleges are a joke though!

Anyway, I think another topic for this meeting might be to explain or decide how the LoCo team will work. For example, what process will the team go through to make decisions? Are we going to have specific meetings for people to bring up general ideas, and then have a team vote on IRC, or on the site or something? I know it may be a little early to go that in-depth about process, but I've heard that it's not a bad thing to create a framework early on. Just a thought!

Vorian
November 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Anyway, I think another topic for this meeting might be to explain or decide how the LoCo team will work. For example, what process will the team go through to make decisions? Are we going to have specific meetings for people to bring up general ideas, and then have a team vote on IRC, or on the site or something? I know it may be a little early to go that in-depth about process, but I've heard that it's not a bad thing to create a framework early on. Just a thought!

That is a great idea!

cstudent
November 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Community colleges are a joke though!

(This is way off topic, but I just wanted to comment)

I have to disagree with you. I went to Shawnee here in Portsmouth in the early 80's and got an associates in data processing. The computer program then was pretty darn good. Shawnee is now a full blown university and has 4 year programs in computer science & engineering. I started taking classes in the fall of 2005 towards a CET degree. The program is excellent, but the schedule is not geared towards an old guy like me with a full time job. Community colleges seem to be more geared towards accommodating working people who want to continue their education. I decided that this quarter that just ended would be my last. It's just too difficult to leave work to attend a class.

I also remember when I attended Shawnee Community College there were a lot of "older" people attending. This past year I hardly saw anyone near my age at all, except the professors.

Vorian
December 1st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Suggested Topics *update*

Team Structure (suggested by _lynX)
Road map suggestions.

That should take the bulk of the time.

Does anyone think we need to cover any other topics?

_lynX
December 1st, 2006, 10:49 PM
If anyone has made any progress on creating a presentation, or has done any work on setting up or planning to set up a display, a testimonial might be nice to let us know the kind of work they've done so far, and how involving it is.