PDA

View Full Version : do you use a screensaver?

delfick
November 28th, 2006, 01:34 PM
so then, do you use a screensaver ?? and if so which one and why ?? :D:D

personally, i don't use a screensaver.........instead i just turn off my monitor whenever i leave the computer.

though i do have a favourite screensaver, the skyrocket one, which is just plain fantastic :D:D (and euphoria :D)

djsroknrol
November 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I use a blank screen and let the power saver feature do it's thing...

Kieranties
November 28th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I just switch mine off. My computer tends to be on for 5 days straight each week. I really should just sort out one of my old ones as a fileserver!

mcduck
November 28th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I just let the power management to turn my display off.

It's been years since screensavers actually saved screens, today they are rather wasting resources.

Besides, what's the point of displaying nice pictures on your screen when you are not watching?

delfick
November 28th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Besides, what's the point of displaying nice pictures on your screen when you are not watching?

that's the problem with nice screensavers (skyrocket :D) you want to keep watching it and it distracts you.... :D

Stew2
November 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM

It's been years since screensavers actually saved screens, today they are rather wasting resources.

My sentiments exactly! :D

Regards,
Stew2

Circus-Killer
November 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM

there was a time when i stopped using a screensaver, but now i started using them again. yes, its true, they dont serve a purpose anymore. yes, it is true it wastes resources. but assuming you're not using your pc when screensaver is on, who cares if it uses up resources.

its like oh no, its using up my resources, when those resources could be doing nothing. oh no.

sorry for that sarcastic comment. i just disagree with these people that are obsessed with resources to the point where it becomes (in my opinion) silly. obviously you dont wanna waste to much resources on rubbish, but using up resources that arent currently being used, well thats what its there for. they didnt invent the pentium so that windows 3.1 would run super fast.

Oh yeh, and the screensaver i use atm is euphoria. so pretty.

Eddie Wilson
November 28th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I keep my screensaver on random. Screensavers like the skyrocket are cool and they do attract a lot of attention. Power management does do its job but a screensaver will not harm anything or really use any resources to speak of. And I like to catch people staring at my computer.:mrgreen:
Eddie

lazyd2
November 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Don't use one either. Just turn the monitor off every night.

Dual Cortex
November 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I have a screensaver selected (the one that displays molecules) but most of the times I'm AFK I simply turn off the monitor.

ixus_123
November 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well people have their computers performing tasks while they are not there.

For example transcoding a DVD to h264 which takes ages on my computer (any where from 10 - 15 hours). The great thing with mutitasking Linux is aI can still surf the web, use office apps etc while all this is going on but when I'm not at the computer I want resources to be at a minimum so I have the screensaver off & just turn my monitor off.

I have to say though, I think th flurry & gl matrix savers are very swish

there was a time when i stopped using a screensaver, but now i started using them again. yes, its true, they dont serve a purpose anymore. yes, it is true it wastes resources. but assuming you're not using your pc when screensaver is on, who cares if it uses up resources.

its like oh no, its using up my resources, when those resources could be doing nothing. oh no.

sorry for that sarcastic comment. i just disagree with these people that are obsessed with resources to the point where it becomes (in my opinion) silly. obviously you dont wanna waste to much resources on rubbish, but using up resources that arent currently being used, well thats what its there for. they didnt invent the pentium so that windows 3.1 would run super fast.

Oh yeh, and the screensaver i use atm is euphoria. so pretty.

public_void
November 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I used to have the BSOD screensaver, then PacMan now its the tunnel.

drphilngood
November 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I like most all of them but the Skyrocket SS is my favorite.

beercz
November 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Skyrocket

bonzodog
November 28th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I use a screensaver that DOES serve a purpose - it processes information as part of a Distributed Computing project.
It's called 'Electric Sheep', and it draws fractal art in 3D, and sends it to other machines in the project.
It's in the repos and you will see it listed in the xscreensaver options. Dont' use gnome-screensaver for this, install xscreensaver.

cmorgan47
November 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I use a screensaver that DOES serve a purpose - it processes information as part of a Distributed Computing project.
It's called 'Electric Sheep', and it draws fractal art in 3D, and sends it to other machines in the project.
It's in the repos and you will see it listed in the xscreensaver options. Dont' use gnome-screensaver for this, install xscreensaver.

me too

MattSMiddleton
November 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I use a laptop, when I'm not using it, I close the lid.

angkor
November 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Yup.

GlSlideshow nowadays. Use to have flurry (beautiful!)

I'm using Xscreensaver in stead of the gnome one.

kuja
November 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I currently have it set to blank, to keep my video cards monstrous fan quiet, and it locks the session after five minutes, but skyrocket and euphoria are the best screen savers ever :D

creaturex
November 29th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I like Skyrocket and Hufo's Smoke not to save my screen (LCDs are not affected by such trivial problems), but becasue they looks pretty and gives someone trying to unlock my session something to stare at as they fail.

Stew2
November 29th, 2006, 02:57 AM
My main computer is in the family room in the basement. I have the screen saver set to blank screen and let the power saving mode put the monitor on standby after X amount of minutes. I think a CRT uses a fair bit of power and I can see no purpose in having a pretty screen saver kick in if absolutely no one is going to see it. I would rather save a few bucks in electricity :). My utility bills are high enough already! :D

Regards,
Stew2

BWF89
November 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I have a screen saver (fireworks) but I don't know why as I usually just turn off the monitor when I walk away from the computer. I have it set to turn off the monitor after X number of minutes in case I forget and I disabled the power save functions that turn off the actual computer if it isn't getting used. I want my Seti@Home to be searching for ET whenever my computer is on.

andrewabc
November 29th, 2006, 03:14 AM
What the hell is the point of a screensaver when I can have my monitor shut off (or hibernate I guess) when I leave my computer idle for 15 minutes, and as soon as I get back it will automatically go back on when I move mouse.

I really don't understand the point of a screensaver these days.

aysiu
November 29th, 2006, 03:45 AM
When I'm not at my computer, I think it's nice to glance over occasionally to see cute pictures of my cat in a slideshow. That's fun for about ten minutes or so. Then the monitor goes to sleep.

Peyton
November 29th, 2006, 04:04 AM
When I leave for more than a few hours (or sleep), I just turn my computer off. Otherwise, it's Solar Winds for me.

Zaen
November 29th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I use the default settings for screensaver, except for the time delay, but I shut off my monitor whenever I'm not at my computer anyways.

vayu
November 29th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I love screensavers. Programatic art. I love all the RSS screensavers, plus flurry and electric sheep. I would like Linux versions of Synthesoft's Psychedelic screensavers. The original reason I became interested in computers was because of computer graphics.

DarkN00b
November 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Yes I do.

But only to watch Skyrocket and Hufo's Tunnel. :mrgreen:

SnTholiday
December 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ever since I upgraded to Edgy the screen savers are all blank screen, no matter which one I choose. Now I let power management
turn the monitor off or I turn it off when I am not going to use it for awhile.

This may be a dumb question, but how long would it take to burn an image on your monitor screen if you never turned it off or used a screensaver?

tzulberti
December 1st, 2006, 11:31 PM
I tourn off the monitor when i leave

JeffS
December 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I'm currently using the Cosmos screensaver.

fuscia
December 2nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
a what?

patrick295767
December 2nd, 2006, 12:26 AM
i installed a screensaver for the gdm

and use xset and xlockmore

leo1a0
December 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
I do use a screensaver but actually I dont remember which one, I'm always working on the PC so it never starts :D

mushroom
December 2nd, 2006, 01:15 AM
I just lock it with a blank screen, then turn my monitor off.

xpod
December 2nd, 2006, 01:18 AM
Them screensavers save loads of resources in this house....i can plonk my wee girl down,stick the "screenies" on and she sit`s mesmorised for hours at a time.

Much less resources than say "mr potato head" which takes quite a bit of the available resources........:D

jdhore
December 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
my screensavering is awesome...a Matrix Code-like screensaver on every OS i run (WinXP, Ubuntu and OS X) and one on my PocketPC...i must say, it looks awesome

jaakan
April 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Stonerview + power management

FuturePilot
April 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Yes, I use a screensaver. I like just about any of the OpenGL based screensavers. Those are all pretty nice:)
GFlux and GLText are two of my favorite.

FoolsGold
April 30th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I also use a screensaver, but I've got a rule that whatever I select, the screensaver MUST be an OpenGL-only screensaver. 2D screensavers for some reason use 100% CPU while they're running (or at least that's what Conky is reporting), but OpenGL screensavers like AntsInspect, Chess and and several others use barely anything. I can't justify a screensaver using every drop of the CPU, just takes resources away and heats up the machine. At least the GL stuff runs independant with no disadvantages, plus they look nice too. :)

roachk71
April 30th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I like Fireworks 3-D, Euphoria, Hufo's Tunnel, and the basic analog Clock, though on batteries, a blank screensaver is best. ;)

pcdoctor
February 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Skyrocket and Euphoria are my favorites.

kuja
March 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Skyrocket and Euphoria are my favorites.

Ditto.

vishzilla
March 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
I use a blank screen and let the power saver feature do it's thing...
+1

23meg
March 1st, 2008, 04:45 AM
I wish people (including desktop environment developers) took the steps to gradually dump the whole outdated and wasteful notion of screensavers in favor of proper energy saving.

Medieval_Creations
March 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Just us a blank screen, for when I step away...
At night I just turn off the monitor.

PhrankDaChickenGeek
March 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM
Yup - I do

People ask "What's the point?"
Answer: Digital Picture Frame. Mine's set to F-spot favorites. :D

ShadowVlican
March 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
i use blank after 5 minutes

after 15min the screen is set to turn off

tubasoldier
March 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
Yup - I do

People ask "What's the point?"
Answer: Digital Picture Frame. Mine's set to F-spot favorites. :D

Thats what I use mine for. My little 11 month old boy loves looking at pictures of himself as they come up on the screen. Needless to say it is very hard to take a picture of him now without him stopping to pose for the camera.

Sreensavers are now more for fun and entertainment than actually saving screens. I personally don't find it wasteful. I used to love having the fireworks screensaver on when my friends were over. They thought it was the coolest.

sumguy231
March 1st, 2008, 09:13 AM
I use a screensaver, and it's not because I hate the environment. If I really wanted to save energy then I wouldn't leave my computer on 24/7. That said, I just set XScreensaver to random, with it changing to a different screensaver every 10 minutes.

misfitpierce
March 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Power manager turns display off... Other than that Screensaver is set to no.

macogw
March 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM

I just started using it too. I was going to use the hacked xscreensaver with it, but it won't compile :( Gnome-screensaver works fine with it though. Either way you can't vote on them :mad: Gnome-screensaver's thing to log back in is nicer though.