PDA

View Full Version : Is Beryl-Project.org site ofline?

djsroknrol
November 27th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I've been trying to get to the forums all day....is the site offline for some reason?

tribaal
November 27th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah apparently.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they had a harddrive failure...
Let's hope they had good backups :)

- trib'

PriceChild
November 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Their svn server has been dodgy for a few days now :(

Pricey

delfick
November 28th, 2006, 01:49 AM
straight from http://www.beryl-project.org/

Server hard drive disk failed on Sunday, and we're currently trying to rescue it even though it does not look good at all. Apologies.

that sounds a little dodgy.....

i want to know more details :D

jdong
November 28th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Ouch... I certainly wish the guys best of luck with rescue (dd_rescue / dd_rhelp party? :D), and that they:

(1) Made regular backups of their svn repo
(2) Had developers who used svk, which would indirectly be an svn backup
(3) Now wished they used bzr/mercurial/git? (kidding!)

greggh
November 28th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Their new forums are online now

http://forum.beryl-project.org/index.php

undertakingyou
November 28th, 2006, 04:28 AM
In response to their backup situation, the new forum page says this
"Hello there fellow Beryl users. As you have witnessed, the beryl sites have gone down until now. This was due to the fact that the servers hard drive failed, thus resulting in the loss of our data.

Unfortunately no backups can be found, thus we have had to go through the process of redoing most of the site, such as redoing the forums, blog, wiki, and trac setup.

Because of this, users must re-register on every part of the site. While this seems like a HUGE problem, it's allowed us to redo some things. The forums are now using phpBB, and are completely reorganized.

We thank you for understanding, and we hope to have everything back to regular service as soon as possible. "

Bummer!
Will Smith--

Polygon
November 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM
geez... you think developers of a major project would be smart enough to take the time to make backups....

well anyway, it was most likely good in the long run. Now im positive they will be making regular backups.

jdong
November 28th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Poor backup skills -- it happens to the best of us :-\...

Let's just hope this is a lesson to the Beryl team (and for that matter, all of us) about the importance of backups.

po0f
November 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
There are two types of computer users: those that make backups, and those that have never had a hard drive fail. (I backup religiously.) :)

SingLee
November 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Just before the drive fail, I saw a installation instruction for Ubuntu. Does anyone know where I can get to that page or similar link?
I remember that I had to update my nvidia driver,etc...
I also had to cleanup my source.list.
Thanks in advance.

chaosgeisterchen
November 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Too bad to see that their harddrive suffered a failure, I hoped for them that it wouldn't be that bad but what happened is a major drawback to their efforts.

I hope that everything will become okay again within reasonable time. It should be clear that the Roadmap is changing upon events like these.

davehat
November 28th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Just before the drive fail, I saw a installation instruction for Ubuntu. Does anyone know where I can get to that page or similar link?
I remember that I had to update my nvidia driver,etc...
I also had to cleanup my source.list.
Thanks in advance.

By the looks of things, the information that was on beryl-project.oerg is now toast - the prognosis did not look good last time I was on #beryl. Having said that, miracles do happen, so you could just sit tight and see what happens.

On the other hand, there are many, many how-to threads regarding Beryl/NVIDIA on this forum and a good few on the wiki too. Unfortunately, I don't have an NVIDIA card, so I can't point you to "one that worked for me". I hate to say "search the forums", but...

...Have you actually tried searching the forums here? :)

Try using the search terms "beryl, AIGLX, NVIDIA" and see where it gets you.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 29th, 2006, 02:24 AM
The Beryl forums are back (kinda):

http://forum.beryl-project.org/index.php

If you had an account before, you'll need to register again, etc.

Sammi
November 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
The forums aren't loading for me. Been trying for hours :(

PriceChild
November 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Fine for me

halfvolle melk
November 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know where I can get to that page or similar link?
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:YislucXkedEJ:wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/nVIDIA+beryl+ubuntu+wiki+nvidia&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=safari
:KS

edit: Main page and forums aren't working here either.

_simon_
November 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM
down again for me as well.

PriceChild
November 29th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Please remember they're having redo EVERYTHING after the hard-drive failure...

Pricey

_simon_
November 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes but if it's for maintenance they really should have a placeholder advising as such.

It's a bit frustrating that all we can do is keep trying.

A simple - "Essential maintenance in progress, estimated time 1hr" or something similar would be good.

Sammi
November 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Now it's up for me :-D

Great!

PriceChild
November 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Yes but if it's for maintenance they really should have a placeholder advising as such.

It's a bit frustrating that all we can do is keep trying.

A simple - "Essential maintenance in progress, estimated time 1hr" or something similar would be good.No.... hard-drive failure... everything lost.

They're starting most again from scratch.

skenliv
November 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Tobad they where not using my server as main site, would be good to have automatic backup... :-P

chaosgeisterchen
November 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I wish them the utmost luck they can have trying to restore the data on the hard disk. They will have an eye on backups in future I am quite sure.

.t.
November 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM
This is terribly unlucky. Does it mean they've lost code as well?

delfick
November 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM
This is terribly unlucky. Does it mean they've lost code as well?

fortunately not, the svn servers were hosted on some up2date mirrors at the time of the crash and so were saved (and even if it wasn't there, many people who use svn have the source on their own computers :D)

chaosgeisterchen
November 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I hope you will again participate in Beryl project again after relaunch, Delfick. Your posts were always very funny to read and sometimes really made my day.

delfick
December 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM
I hope you will again participate in Beryl project again after relaunch, Delfick. Your posts were always very funny to read and sometimes really made my day.

cool, thnx :D:D

yep, i'm still on those forums

i even have most posts :D (see screenshot) (never had that in the old forums, i was always second to Quinn, though i got very close at the end :D)

..... :D