PDA

View Full Version : why doesn't "show all my posts" show backyard posts?

TeeAhr1
November 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
??

-p.

frodon
November 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Because backyard threads doesn't appear in any search results ;)

I think we should add this in our FAQ because you're not the only one to ask.

Ben Sprinkle
November 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I want this feature added. :(

ubuntu-geek
November 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I want this feature added. :(
Not going to happen.. This is a support forum, there is no support going on in the backyard for ubuntu. Plus, there are people of all ages who come here and don't want to be bothered by the information posted in there.

Ben Sprinkle
November 27th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Well can you at least add a 'search the backyard' option?
That way people will know the other one is for help.

TeeAhr1
November 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Not going to happen.. This is a support forum, there is no support going on in the backyard for ubuntu. Plus, there are people of all ages who come here and don't want to be bothered by the information posted in there.

I don't agree with this at all.

1. If it exists on this site I should be able to search it on this site, otherwise what's it there for?

2. I can see my "Ubuntu Cafe" posts, which are not support-related.

frodon
November 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I suggest you to read this thread and especially of the part about the backyard it will give you some answers to the question "what is it for": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=244237

To summarize, this forum aims to be safe for work, the backyard isn't and that's why it is not included to search results. The rest of the story is really well explained in the link i gave you.

TeeAhr1
November 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I believe you are referring mostly to this section (plz correct if I'm mistaken):

People talked a lot about free speech, etc., and while it wasn't actually necessary the backyard was created for stuff that really isn't, or might not be, safe for work, etc. Note: the majority of UbuntuForums are intended for all ages (General Audiences admitted), the backyard isn't intended to be an atmosphere that would be harsh or grossly inappropriate for children (Adults only or Restricted...), but rather a place where perhaps more leeway is given (Parental Guidance suggested).

I guess I don't find that synonymous with "NSFW." Nor can I recall seeing threads in the backyard that I would really consider NSFW (at least not ones that didn't get pulled mighty quickly). Disclaimer: My idea of "safe for work" is pretty broad, your mileage may vary.

That said, I can certainly see good points in not wanting to "muddy the waters" by including backyard (and cafe, for that matter, even though it comes up) in general searching. I don't want to come up with a backyard post if I'm looking for help.

But even if I'm subscribed to a backyard thread, I still can't see it if I click "all my subscribed threads." There is, as far as I can tell, no way at all to find these threads other than to go through the backyard myself. Surely there's some kind of middle ground that can be reached here.

Thanks for your time, y'all.

respectfully-
pete

matthew
November 30th, 2006, 04:54 PM
II guess I don't find that synonymous with "NSFW." Nor can I recall seeing threads in the backyard that I would really consider NSFW (at least not ones that didn't get pulled mighty quickly). Disclaimer: My idea of "safe for work" is pretty broad, your mileage may vary.

That said, I can certainly see good points in not wanting to "muddy the waters" by including backyard (and cafe, for that matter, even though it comes up) in general searching. I don't want to come up with a backyard post if I'm looking for help.

But even if I'm subscribed to a backyard thread, I still can't see it if I click "all my subscribed threads." There is, as far as I can tell, no way at all to find these threads other than to go through the backyard myself. Surely there's some kind of middle ground that can be reached here.Part of the confusion you have is with what constitutes NSFW. There are a lot of people who would feel uncomfortable if their boss came up to them while they were at work viewing the UF and the boss saw threads of a political nature, threads discussing religion, etc.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, this is where we chose to draw it. It wasn't done maliciously nor without trying to think through all the issues involved and we realize it isn't a perfect solution, but what we have now is workable and most users seem quite content.

Losing the search functionality in the backyard is a bit of a bummer if you're trying to find that one thread about Kurdish translations of Ubuntu being investigated (or the one about gaybuntu or UbuntuCE). I understand, really I do.

The best I can suggest is if you find a thread that interests you in the backyard you can subscribe to it and then you can always find it using UserCP (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/usercp.php)

PriceChild
November 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
But even if I'm subscribed to a backyard thread, I still can't see it if I click "all my subscribed threads." There is, as far as I can tell, no way at all to find these threads other than to go through the backyard myself. Surely there's some kind of middle ground that can be reached here.That's not an issue for me...

I'm not sure whether It appears there or not, but when i click User CP all my threads (backyard included) are right there.

Pricey

TeeAhr1
December 1st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Part of the confusion you have is with what constitutes NSFW. There are a lot of people who would feel uncomfortable if their boss came up to them while they were at work viewing the UF and the boss saw threads of a political nature, threads discussing religion, etc.

I agree. I'm aware that the shall-we-say relaxed work environment that I'm lucky enough to have is by no means the norm.

The best I can suggest is if you find a thread that interests you in the backyard you can subscribe to it and then you can always find it using UserCP (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/usercp.php)

Ah ha. Didn't realize that, I had always tried to do it through the search menu. Thx, this pretty much moots my question! Have a good weekend...

-p.