PDA

View Full Version : Monospaced fonts

mssever
November 27th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I think that [code] blocks should use a monospaced font--preferably DejaVu Sans Mono. It is quite common on these forums to post various files for troubleshooting purposes (usually included in a [code] block), and some (e.g., /etc/fstab) are difficult to read in a regular font. In testing, I noticed that both [html] and [php] are rendered in DejaVu Sans Mono, although they use a small size that is harder to read. But, who would think to use [html] to post /etc/fstab?

I would also like a font option for DejaVu Sans Mono, instead of or in addition to Courier New, since the former is much easier to read and looks nicer than Courier New, IMHO. Plus, DejaVu Sans Mono is a standard part of any Ubuntu install, so most forum visitors have it. (I would suggest specifying: "DejaVu Sans Mono","Lucida Console",monospace.)

ubuntu-geek
November 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM
We will be fixing the code block issue with the upcoming template patch..

mssever
November 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Great! Thanks!

po0f
November 28th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Yay someone else finally noticed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273849). :)

mssever,

I have been using a combination of [code][font] and [ /code][ /font] tags for the time being, it makes it a little harder to post, but is much clearer and easier to read IMO.

mssever
November 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Yay someone else finally noticed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273849). :)

mssever,

I have been using a combination of [code][font] and [ /code][ /font] tags for the time being, it makes it a little harder to post, but is much clearer and easier to read IMO.
I've done that, too--even though courier isn't exactly a clear font. DejaVu Sans Mono is great. I wish that that was an option in the fonts list.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the new beta template. [code] is fixed in it. I'm happy, now.

@ubuntu-geek: When will this new template become the default?