PDA

View Full Version : Language Rules and Filters

KiwiNZ
November 27th, 2006, 12:36 AM
It was recently brought to my attention that our Rules and Filters concerning language ( profanity ) may be to harsh.

I would like to gain the thoughts of our members concerning this.

Please remember when responding to consider that Ubuntu Forums are the Official Support Forum and public face of Ubuntu and Canonical and as such has standards that must be kept.

It maybe helpful if you considered what would be permissable on Support Forums at such organisations as HP , Dell , Microsoft and Intel for example.

So please advise your thought on

1. We are doing it right
2. We are too harsh
3. We could loosen up a bit .

I would be gratefull if you could elaborate your responses.

Thanks heaps

bruenig
November 27th, 2006, 01:46 AM
It takes a stance about what is right and wrong, which is inherently discriminatory to those who do not agree. Words are only 'bad' because we think they are bad. There is nothing inherent in any word or concept that is bad. If this is supposed to be linux for human beings, I would think that would include all human beings regardless of what your arbitrary and baseless stance on what constitutes bad language is.

PriceChild
November 27th, 2006, 02:04 AM
It takes a stance about what is right and wrong, which is inherently discriminatory to those who do not agree. Words are only 'bad' because we think they are bad. There is nothing inherent in any word or concept that is bad. If this is supposed to be linux for human beings, I would think that would include all human beings regardless of what your arbitrary and baseless stance on what constitutes bad language is.I can't quite understand which side you are for here?

In my opinion, we should be playing it safe, keeping most of the board as clean as is necessary so that we don't offend anyone.

mssever
November 27th, 2006, 02:58 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there's never a good reason to use "bad" or offensive language. I don't know how the filter is because I've never had any of my posts filtered.

Stew2
November 27th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I think the language rules are great and show a high degree of professionalism. Swearing is the sign of a weak mind. I vote to keep it the way it is.

Regards,
Stew2

po0f
November 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I voted Ubuntu Forums are doing it right, support questions shouldn't be reduced to (or start off with) swearing. Plus, you can pretty much guess what the poster was thinking when you see all those asterisks. (Sometimes it's just plain funny. :))

aysiu
November 28th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I voted the main forum is fine but things could be eased up in the Backyard. I'm not saying we let anything go, but the Backyard is the Backyard. You don't have to see it, and you know anything posted in there is probably controversial and/or offensive in some way.

Y4CcduyctJL3
November 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
i mean really, who gives a damn?

. . . he he . . . irony? . . .anyone?

ok, you can probably guess how i feel about it. the concept of cuss words really is ridiculous. are any other words offencive out side of any context? if you're going to be offended by anything shouldn't it at least be of some substance? we know why a bigoted rant is offencive. that's easy, because some one's endorsing arbitrary hate and intolerance, probably directed toward at least one person we care about. but what about a "dirty word?" well those are offensive just because we grew up being taught that they were dirty words. think of it this way. if you hear profanity in a foreign language, is it as offencive or shocking or noticeable at all, even if you're familiar with the word? actually you don't even have to use a different language to see this point. just cross cultural boundaries and you might not even know what words are appropriate for use. for example, if i hear the word slag, i think, 'metallurgy.' but say it in the uk and you might get punched.

see? silly.

BigDave708
November 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
First and foremost, Kiwi, thank you for starting this thread. I'm one of the people who have complaints about the language filters on this site, so I'm glad to see that you are doing something about it.

In my opinion, we should be playing it safe, keeping most of the board as clean as is necessary so that we don't offend anyone.
Herein lies the problem. I'm sure you know I'm not singling you out here, Pricey, but the overwhelming majority of users on here are adults, and the few young un's that do visit here have heard it all in school before. I've yet to meet a single person in my entire life who has been offended by someone saying "%*^" or "&($" or "%*&$^*%" - you get the idea. When you step over the threshold of your doorway every morning, you are very probably going to hear worse comments than even the most controversial posts on here. The only difference is that in real life there aren't moderators walking around with the ability to hand out infractions.

Maybe keeping the main Ubuntu forums clean is a good idea - there's no real reason for there to be swearing in those places. However, keeping the backyard subjected to the same moderation is a waste of a forum. The rules in the backyard should be relaxed because even though the backyard is said to be "loosely moderated", it really isn't.

Ben Sprinkle
November 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I used to be able to say S.H.I.T, but now I cannot, I think the filters are a bit strict. I mean what's it going to hurt as long as we are not directing it at people then we are fine. :)

Like:

Oh man, that S.H.I.T was easy to get installed mate, lemme help you with it.

Dislike:

Screw you, I spent 5 hours helping you. Go figure this S.H.I.T yourself ****!

------------

So you can see the differences. Please don't give me an infraction for the above. Just using examples.

cowlip
March 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I know this thread is old but the issue is still a concern with me, and maybe others. Obviously people swearing at each other is bad thing, but what I don't see anything wrong with the odd "color" here and there; people don't only use it to insult one another. Also it seems to only account for US swearing, some UK slang and stuff around the world isn't censored, misspellings are a simple way around it, etc. What exactly is the point? It gives the forum a very childish feel IMO. We've all encountered it in the real world, it's in books, it's just human expression that can make posts a little more interesting at strategic times ;) I understand this is the "face of Ubuntu/Canonical" now, but then I would question whether making Ubuntuforums "official" was the right move in light of this situation.

And I'm just not too happy seeing "*****" littered in my posts.

mips
March 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Seeing there could be kids around and also that you would like to project a professional image I would say keep things as they are. Does one really need profanity to get ones point across.

I use profanity in speech but that depends on who is around. I actually prefer not to use profanity but that is hard. Golf brings out the worst in me :)

Maybe relax a bit in the backyard but besides that keep it as is.