PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 update uninstalled Firefox!!!

punkinside
November 25th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Hey y'all

In my most recent (increasingly infrequent) visits to my winxp partition it wanted to install IE7 for me. I thought, hey why not? And went ahead and let it install it. As soon as it finished, my Firefox icon on the desktop was gone!

I thought: whoa, thats odd, I went to look at the start menu, where my default browser is firefox again and: voila! IE took its place.

Well, needless to say, I was pretty pissed by now. So I went to look for firefox in "all programs" and it was also gone!!!

It went ahead and did away with everything pertaining to firefox! (Except the folder in C:\Program Files)

Anybody else have this problem? Good thing I had the installer handy, IE7 will never ever load in this computer, thats for sure.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

PryGuy
November 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
That's strange 'cause everything went smooth in my case. Another question is that IE7 is one of the crappiest applications I've ever seen. No engine enhancements over the previous version (that's what I expected as a web designer), just the dumb interface changes. Do not install this IE7 crap, it's lousy...

I do not think it uninstalls Firefox though, they would be sentenced in no time for such dirty tricks.

punkinside
November 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Well I didn't plan on using it I thought it would be harmless at the very least. I am so pissed right now :mad:

BLTicklemonster
January 9th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I guess no one will be going here, then, huh?

http://webexpose.org/2007/01/07/internet-explorer-7-on-linux/

manmower
January 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Update went flawlessly on all Windows machines I've tried it on, didn't even try to make itself the default browser. You must have been doing something wrong.

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Yeah. Something just went screwy. I think it would be a anti-trust or some such violation if they actually uninstalled Firefox.

maniacmusician
January 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
That's strange 'cause everything went smooth in my case. Another question is that IE7 is one of the crappiest applications I've ever seen. No engine enhancements over the previous version (that's what I expected as a web designer), just the dumb interface changes. Do not install this IE7 crap, it's lousy...

I do not think it uninstalls Firefox though, they would be sentenced in no time for such dirty tricks.
well it does render PNG transparency now :rolleyes: what a revolutionary achievement.

~LoKe
January 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I smell troll.

BLTicklemonster
January 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
... come to think of it, XP has internet explorer? Huh, I have been using firefox in it for so long, I forgot all about that. :-k

teaker1s
January 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM
why not just cure the lot-format your windows partition;)