PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Ohio LoCo Team Forum

steven8
November 23rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
Welcome from the Heartland of America! I am proud to be the first person to make a post in the Ohio Loco Forum, and I thank Vorian for doing me the honor of inviting me to join.

To all here in the Forum from the great state of Ohio, come help us to spread the word to our fellow Buckeyes!

jpeddicord
November 23rd, 2006, 01:55 AM
Was this forum just recently added? I didn't notice it before. Glad to see there is in fact an Ohio Ubuntu LoCo team.

Go Bucks!

steven8
November 23rd, 2006, 02:05 AM
We're brand spanking new!!

And yes, by all means. . .GO BUCKS!!

Go here to join, fellow Ohioan: https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-us-ohio

jpeddicord
November 23rd, 2006, 02:10 AM
Just joined the team! (pending moderation anyway)

Hopefully some more Ohioans will come. I noticed this team on the wiki a week ago. This forum should help attract members. :)

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Well Steven, you beat me to it!

Welcome Jacob, you have been officially added :D

TheElite1x721987
November 23rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Howdy all. I'm new here. Been useing Ubuntu on my old P3 for over a month now and love it. Thought id join up here. Since I live in ohio, I thought this was a good place to post first. And yes...Go Bucks :D

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 04:58 AM
Welcome to ubuntu forums, and welcome to the team!

You have been officially added :D

ZylGadis
November 23rd, 2006, 05:08 AM
Hey folks, I'm in Columbus. Why do we use kubuntu's icon as the icon of the Ohio LoCo forum (if I'm not mistaken)? And what is LoCo anyway? :)

Go Bucks!

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 05:17 AM
Hey folks, I'm in Columbus.
Welcome! You have been added:D

Why do we use kubuntu's icon as the icon of the Ohio LoCo forum (if I'm not mistaken)?

If your talking about the launchpad, it is...

Launchpad is a collection of services for products in the open source universe. You can register your product (https://launchpad.net/products), then collaborate with the open source community on translations, bug tracking and code. For more information, see our Frequently Asked Questions (https://launchpad.net/faq).

And what is LoCo anyway? :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoFAQ

Go Bucks!
Awwwww Yeah!

RAV TUX
November 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM
Welcome to ubuntu forums, and welcome to the team!

Vorian congratulations on putting together the Ohio LoCo Team, and obtaining your own team forum...

very well done!

(and I like Vorian in green, very nice;))

Jozef

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Vorian congratulations on putting together the Ohio LoCo Team, and obtaining your own team forum...

very well done!

(and I like Vorian in green, very nice;))

Jozef

Thanks Jozef!

It's great to get us roudy buckeye's in the same place:mrgreen:

skippy13
November 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Greetings! I'm in lovely Columbus, OH and some time ago started the ColumbusTeam (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColumbusTeam).

My vision for the ColumbusTeam is to serve as a stepping stone for new users to gain confidence with Ubuntu before they join the larger Central Ohio Linux User Group (http://www.colug.net/). COLUG can be a bit technical at times, and might overwhelm a new user. By providing an Ubuntu-specific resource, I hope we can provide clear, usable peer support for new users.

A state-wide umbrella group for more region-specific teams might be a nice way for us to collaborate. I'm looking forward to seeing the Ohio team grow!

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Welcome skippy!

I love what you've done with the Columbus team. Great to have you around!

TheElite1x721987
November 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm from a little suburb of Cleveland Ohio (Brooklyn). But I'm only 1000ft from the border to Cleveland Proper, so I normally just say Cleveland. :cool:

No one knows where Brooklyn is when I talk about it anyway. LOL

steven8
November 23rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
I know where Brooklyn is. It's 45 minutes away from where I live. Welcome to the group Elite1.

http://h1.ripway.com/steven8/map.web.mapquest.com.gif

skippy 13. . .wow! I am new to Linux, and I'm very excited to follow your links and see how wide the Ohio following is so far. I see that we have an Akron LUG, which meets at a restaurant just 15 minutes from my house!! I may just find myself dropping in on a meeting some day.

Vorian
November 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
You two are about 3 - 3.5 hours from me :D

I live about an hour south of Columbus.

TheElite1x721987
November 24th, 2006, 12:16 AM
In all my forum travels, ive never really met anyone who who is from Ohio save for 1. I thought people in Ohio didnt use the internet...LOL!! I've been to (or thru) many parts of the state. Not a bad accomplishment for someone my age (19). I personally like the Lorain county area up here in Northeast Ohio, or the Area around the cincinatti outskirts. Mason was a really nice town :)

timcredible
November 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM
i'm in ohio, and new to ubunutu (not new to linux). what's LoCo?

Vorian
November 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
i'm in ohio, and new to ubunutu (not new to linux). what's LoCo?

Check this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=305205 .

Joining the team is easy, follow the last link in the thread:mrgreen:

Phototrek1
November 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Hello fellow Ohioans!! Guess where I live. Here's a hint "Pink Flamingos" Clevelanders should get this one.
I was looking for a Ohio team months ago. So How do i join this Great Buckeye Team. :)

To: The Elite1x721987- You should look at Portage/Summit County. It's even better than Lorain. Lorain is alright not much activity. The Portage/Summit area is great it's a perfect balance of Urban development and country. Your right next to two great cities Akron and Cleveland. So if your cultured your 25min from each downtown. Plus your Job prospects are even better because your so centraized. Plus theres the Cuyahoga valley national park which i love. Everbeen to brandy wine. You should take your girlfriend there (Brandywine Falls). My last girl friend loved all the ice. A big chunck of it fell and crashed. After that you can take her down the closed off road and hike the trail that crosses it. It's very nice you can be in Downtown Cleveland and in no time be 1000miles away at the park.

steven8
November 24th, 2006, 11:28 PM
He's from Parma! He's from Parma!! I grew up watching Houlihan and Big Chuck! He is definitely from Parma!!

Welcome to the team!!

Phototrek1
November 25th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Right On!!! Go figure Big Ckuck and Little John. I live in Parma and I love Big Chuck and Little John. There so right!! Funny Thing is Parma was started by an Italian.

TransitMan
November 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Steve, your link leads to an Error Page.

And I've sent in for my membership.

Vorian
November 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry about that, which link is broken?

And I've sent in for my membership.
Great! Welcome to the Team!
(https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-us-ohio)

lyceum
November 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I am from Ohio, how do you join?

cstudent
November 29th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I am from Ohio, how do you join?

Hi lyceum,

Start with this thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=305205

steven8
December 1st, 2006, 04:32 AM

I fixed it. That way if people want to click on a link right off when they enter the thread it will work. Sorry 'bout that!

msak007
December 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Glad to see there's finally an Ohio LoCo. I kept checking for one and was surprised to see one so thanks for putting it together. I just joined the Ohio Team LoCo on Launchpd.

hackle577
December 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hey everyone! I just registered this morning so I thought I'd introduce myself here in the Ohio forum, since that's where I live. More specifically, I attend Miami University in Oxford (Butler County), but my home is about 20 miles south of Columbus in Ashville (Pickaway County). GO BUCKS!

When it comes to Ubuntu, I'm still pretty new. I'm currently experimenting around with the 6.06 LiveCD before (hopefully) making a permanent switch from XP. I thought I'd join the forum so I can get help when I need it, etc. I'm looking forward to getting to know at least some of you.

So I figured I'd better start off with at least one question. I like Ubuntu a lot, but I'm sort of halfway between installing it and merely running it from the LiveCD. I'd like to experience Ubuntu full speed, but I'm also very comfortable with XP right now and I'd rather not risk partitioning my hard drive.

My question is: Is it advisable for me to purchase a 20 to 30 GB external drive and installing Ubuntu on that? At least until I'm comfortable enough with it to the point where I feel I can safely install it to my main drive? Thanks for your help and have a great day!

Adam

Sqwishy
December 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Hi Adam! Linux loves you and I hope you'll love it too!

My question is: Is it advisable for me to purchase a 20 to 30 GB external drive and installing Ubuntu on that? At least until I'm comfortable enough with it to the point where I feel I can safely install it to my main drive? Thanks for your help and have a great day! Partitioning isn't really a big risk, at least i've never had problems with shrinking my windows partition... I've heard horror stories of grub and stuff not working with multiple hard drives, although I havn't tryed it myself so i'm not the most reliable source. So I wouldn't adivse it but you probobly should get a second oppinion.

Wut be your compy specs?

Cool blog by the way :D

hackle577
December 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Dell Inspiron 4150
XP Pro SP 2
28GB hard drive, 15.4GB free space
1.7GHz CPU, 640MB RAM

doonium
December 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM
hey adam

i have shrunk an existing xp (NTFS) partition on one hard drive many times. it has always worked although sometimes i hit a few snags (grub not booting xp or the partitioner not setting the size of the NTFS partition correctly). every time though my ntfs partition did not contain critical data.

imo if you greatly value your xp drive, getting a 2nd drive and using that solely for ubuntu would be slightly safer. you could always physically unplug the ubuntu drive and go back to the way things were somewhat easily. if you shrink your xp partition and destroy that hard drive's MBR, it could be painful to try to get xp working. also, the ubuntu installer is usually good about setting up grub correctly with two harddrives.

either way, if you're new to ubuntu/linux, backup your ntfs partition and be prepared for possibly snags :)

good luck!
ryan

Vorian
December 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Adam!

Welcome to the team!

I would use the 15 gigs for ubuntu, and dual boot. The install has guided partitioning, and it is quite easy to follow. Since you know the partitions on your disk already, your ahead of the game.

PWill
December 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Adam,
The Ubuntu 6.06 installer has a graphical partioner to make it easier on the whole process. I would recommend, however, backing up your My Docs folder from XP, just to be safe.
If you can get another HDD cheap, then that would be even better. Once you install Ubuntu, you won't be booting back into Windoze much :-P

steven8
December 14th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Adam,

Back up your docs, and run a defrag before partitioning.

Welcome to the forums, to the Ohio team and also. . .GO BUCKS!!

hackle577
December 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
The way I see it, that's 3 votes for partitioning and 2 for an external hard drive installation if I can get one cheap, which I should be able to. NewEgg has some good stuff. Anyway, that brings up a few more questions on my part:

Is my 28GB hard drive enough space for both XP and Ubuntu? I don't do heavy video editing or anything like that, but it would be nice to have some space in reserve.

Second, if I do decide to partition, it seems like I need to create some "swap" space, according to this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot). What does that mean and why? So I can move files back and forth between XP and Ubuntu?

And third, what are the advantages of manual partitioning (ie, third installation option) versus letting Ubuntu do it for me (ie, the first installation option)?

If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. I'm new. ;) Thanks again for the help!

Sef
December 14th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Read Psychocat's (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing) pictorial on dual booting with the Live CD.

What does that mean and why? So I can move files back and forth between XP and Ubuntu?

Swap is virtual memory, so you don't run out of it. A FAT32 or ext2 or ext3 partition can be used so both windows and Ubuntu can save to it.

And third, what are the advantages of manual partitioning (ie, third installation option) versus letting Ubuntu do it for me (ie, the first installation option)?

If you let Ubuntu do it, then it will take over the whole disk.

If you manually partition, then you can set up a dual boot or just put Ubuntu on part of your hard drive.

It's ok here, but the best place would be absolute beginners because more people will see it and help you out. Absolute beginners is at the top of the forum list under New to Ubuntu? Look Here First!

jpeddicord
December 14th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I'd vote for partitioning. It is a lot easier than having to use a second drive, and it works almost flawlessly. I can't guarantee the same results for you however, but good luck with it. :KS

And, I'm late on this, but welcome to the team!

hackle577
December 14th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Alright, I posted my questions in the Beginners Talk forum. Read the thread here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318329) if you want to continue helping I guess. Thanks!

hackle577
December 14th, 2006, 04:05 AM
The general consensus seems to be for partitioning, although it was mentioned that 28GB might be too small for both XP and Ubuntu. However, I do not have any large video files, and only 1.32GB worth of music. One user also advised me to leave 25% of my NTFS partition as free space. I assume this means to leave X/4 gigs worth of extra space on my XP partition, where X is the current number of GB Windows is using?

So keeping all this in mind, would it be better to manual edit my partitions, or just let Ubuntu work it's magic and automatically resize my Windows partition?

Thanks again!

Vorian
December 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Glad to see there's finally an Ohio LoCo. I kept checking for one and was surprised to see one so thanks for putting it together. I just joined the Ohio Team LoCo on Launchpd.

Welcome to the team!

daisuki
December 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I was surprised to come across this forum :-D I'm a new Ubuntu/linux user and i'm just starting to get my feet wet. I hope to be able to learn as much as I can from this forum and meet new friends.

Pending approval I will be joining this team.

Till then ....

jpeddicord
December 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the team!

Great to see a new Linux user! :KS

thelocust
December 15th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Your surprise will be your savior. This forum is probably the number one reason I use Kubuntu. I have not found another distro with anything resembling this much community support. Even when I google a general linux question not pertaining specifically to Kubuntu it usually takes me to this forum were I find the answer. Since you just started out I suggest that before you get to far in to it you do a clean install of kubuntu. I find KDE to be much more satisfying than Gnome but as you will probably find out that is a personal preference. Also backup you /home /etc and /boot folders before doing any major configuring or you will be doing a lot of fresh installs. Good luck.

msak007
December 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hello and welcome to Linux and the forums. Everyone here will tell you the same thing (we're all biased :) ), but you will find out in time that this is indeed the best Linux support community out there. Let us know if you need any help getting started.

Vorian
December 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Pending approval I will be joining this team.

Till then ....

Welcome to the team! :)

daisuki
December 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all comments... They're much appreciated....

I'm a Windows Network Administrator by day.... I'm currently running Edgy on an old Dell Laptop i had laying about. Seems to work well other than the wonky behaviour of my microsoft wireless card not wanting to connect to my wireless access point at work because i wasn't broadcasting the ssid ...... never did resolve that issue but none-the-less works now that i have enabled the ssid broadcast.