PDA

View Full Version : Search for unanswered posts in subforums [Resolved]

hod139
November 22nd, 2006, 04:23 AM
I hope this has not been asked before, I did some searching and couldn't find it. I know it is possible to remove forums from search results, but is it possible to search for unanswered posts in only a specific sub-forum? In particular, can I search the Programming Talk sub-forum for unanswered posts?

daller
November 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
It WAS possible with the OLD "advanced search"!

I'm also pissed out, that they removed this feature!

ARGH!!!! - They made it harder for me to help people!

PriceChild
November 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
It WAS possible with the OLD "advanced search"!

I'm also pissed out, that they removed this feature!

ARGH!!!! - They made it harder for me to help people!Thanks for the feedback.

Please take in mind that the average amount of users online has tripled... almost quadrupled even in the last month. - Some things have to be cut back to keep this site chugging along.

jsandys
December 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
If you do search for unanswered posts and go to the last page (page 10) you will find that the posts are only one day old! Your advise to wait for an answer is hopeless, so users repost generating more traffic. The more posts we can answer, especially for the absolute beginners, the more happy users we can introduce to Ubuntu Linux.

My guess is the only people searching for unanswered posts are trying to answer those posts which is a valuable service to this site. And some posts like many in Cafe are just comments that do not need a reply.

daller
December 15th, 2006, 12:07 AM
We should do a better job, getting the howto's into the wiki... (which one? - I'm getting confused...)

I general, I don't think newbies search the wiki (and the forum for that matter...) before posting... At least not to a satisfying point!

The wiki-concept rocks! I really don't think people should post "HOWTO: *" here! - Tell me if I'm wrong...

Update: Speaking of the forum-speed, stability, etc... Why do we have relatively load-heavy avatars? (Or is the database-fetch a bigger issue?) I doubt that anyone appreaciates my avatar... :D

hod139
December 15th, 2006, 02:55 AM
We should do a better job, getting the howto's into the wiki... (which one? - I'm getting confused...)

I general, I don't think newbies search the wiki (and the forum for that matter...) before posting... At least not to a satisfying point!

The wiki-concept rocks! I really don't think people should post "HOWTO: *" here! - Tell me if I'm wrong...

Update: Speaking of the forum-speed, stability, etc... Why do we have relatively load-heavy avatars? (Or is the database-fetch a bigger issue?) I doubt that anyone appreaciates my avatar... :D
I'm confused how this relates to my original question of being able to search sub-forums.

daller
December 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I'm confused how this relates to my original question of being able to search sub-forums.

The ability to make advanced searches is CLOSELY tied together with the load of the forum...

A goal may be:

* Decrease the number of HOWTO's here. (the wiki is excelent for both HOWTO's and the related discussions.)
* Decrease the number of non-contributing users. (If people simply searched the wiki first, the number of users will be decreased seriously.)

yager
January 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM
It has been a few months since this thread started. Is there any possibility to bring back the search for unanswered threads?

In an effort to help newbies, I have to scroll through many pages trying to find the lost or overlooked post. This evening I found at least 3 easy answers that anyone could have answered had they been looking.

I am no expert on how forums operate but would it be possible to set up a second table in the database that is a clone of the main where all incoming posts would be duplicated and then flagged for deletion once they have a reply? A search for unanswered posts would only require a filter against that one incoming table. A daily or hourly purge would keep the table small and manageable for quick filtering.

I Like the Wiki idea of moving all How To's to the Wiki. To emphasize the Wiki, maybe it should have a bigger button especially in the installation and Beginner threads. I know you have stickies but it is obvious that not everyone reads the Sticky before posting. Heck they don't even try Google which turns up all kinds of answers even from this forum. Just had an idea, why not have a welcome sound for the page that mentions the Wiki or some kind of animation on the button. Maybe a big arrow that moves across the screen with the words, "Check the Wiki 1st".

Aysiu has some great how to's on his psychocat site. Why not ask if those could be moved in with the screen shots and all to the Wiki? Heck Aysiu should be the Editor for the Howto based on some of the great work he has.

aysiu
January 9th, 2007, 07:34 AM
There is the ability to get unanswered posts, but, as the original post points out, it's not so easy to get unanswered posts within a particular subforum. If you want unanswered posts, you can go to Search > Get Unanswered Posts.

Moving the HowTos to the Wiki sounds like a great idea in theory, but there are a couple of obstacles. First of all, the Wiki isn't that easy to learn... at least not as easy as learning how to make a post in the forums. Secondly, there are some weird politics involved. Apparently some people are very possessive of what goes into the Wiki, even though theoretically it's supposed to be maintained by the community as a whole and editable by anyone. I don't know all the details, but that's the impression I've gotten.

There is, however, a site dedicated to collecting HowTos from the forum:
http://doc.gwos.org

I don't really mind if someone wants to mirror my HowTos on the Wiki or on http://doc.gwos.org, but one of the reasons I started Psychocats was to have a one-stop "shopping" place for frequently asked questions/HowTos. It serves an entirely different purpose from the Wiki and the Document Storage Facility. The latter two are intended to be comprehensive. A comprehensive site has the benefit of being explorable, of being useful to novices and advanced users alike. That comprehensiveness is also a weakness--making good organization necessary and often (when good organization isn't maintained) being difficult to navigate. A quick-and-dirty site like Psychocats is weak on not answering every question you have, but it's easy to navigate--there are only a handful of pages and they're all linked to on the side bar.

daller
January 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
You can actually merge the URL to unanswered posts, with any variable from the advanced search...

I've tried to setup a page to search within unanswered posts...

http://dallerweb.dk/as.php

It's only an idea! - Sorry for the copy-paste!

yager
January 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM
What I forgot to include in my request was in the past, the forum had the option to filter posts based on the number or responses it had received. This was before we went to this format. Its been months.
You would set the filter to find posts with 0 responses and in my case, I would try to find the responses that were older than 2 days to see if there were any lost souls out there who never received a reply. If I did not have an answer, I would at least encourage them to repost in maybe a higher traffic thread that was more appropriate to their question.

There is nothing like feeling alone with your problem and the world passing you by. Sometimes just an acknowledgment that people acknowledge your pain takes the edge off.

As for the politics of the Wiki, that I guess can be a sticky issue. It is a shame that a tool with such power is not being leveraged for the benefit of the entire community. Its the difference between giving fish and teaching fishing. The Wiki is the pond that answers should be fished out of.

Odd, but the first page of the Wiki seems so inviting requesting that everyone edit. Then you look deeper and there is a WikiTeam that to join, you have to be seen as a contributor to the Wiki and then there are rules about not replicating information and a warning that the licensing on the Forums is not compatible with the license of the Wiki. What does that mean? How does Wikipedia function? Do they have a team somewhere inside that thing that police the whole thing? What licensing are they talking about? You would think that all of this is Public Domain since it is just out there freely contributed by everyone with no claims of ownership.

NOTICE: ALL RIGHTS OF OWNERSHIP RESERVED. ANY USE OF THIS POST IN PART OR WHOLE WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR IS ENCOURAGED.

I think I will add this to my footer. It has a nice legalistic ring to it.

bapoumba
January 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hi, just found that well answered thread ;)

I was going to start a a new one, but I might as well post in here. I there a way to get rss feeds for unanswered threads ?
I mainly read sub-forums through rss, but they provide both unanswered and newly answered threads.

This may not be possible, I'm just asking, as I do not know anything about it.

Thank you.

frodon
January 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I think that we can put this topic on the table for the next forum council meeting during which team leaders will be elected. I think the further "unanswered post team" may need such a feature.
I will see if it's possible to put this on the agenda.

ubuntu-geek
January 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
There is now a feature to search each forum for unanswered posts. In the brown navigation bar on each forum on the right hand side there is a link.

Enjoy.

hod139
January 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Awesome, thanks!!!

bapoumba
January 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Nice, thank you :)

yager
January 11th, 2007, 05:56 AM
The link is fantastic. This is a great addition to help people who are trying to find others in need of help.