PDA

View Full Version : Source code for free Animated GIF creator released

Velotix
November 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM
(I had no idea where to put this, so I apologise if it's in the wrong place.)

On this web page (http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/) you can download a program for Windows called UnFREEz which allows you to create animated images in GIF format. I once used it extensively and found it very efficient at doing its job, though it's very basic.

I always thought this program was only freeware, but it turns out that he's offered the source code for download, so I guess it's not.

Anyway, I figure that now the patenting issues are no longer relevant, this can be ported to Linux without much hassle at all. So I'm letting people know of its existence here.

Why do I not do this myself? I suck at programming right now. :P I'm sure one of you folks could whip something up a lot quicker than me.

Just putting this out there. Apologies if I've overlooked something important. ^^

red_Marvin
November 21st, 2006, 10:42 PM
Gimp can save layers as frames if gif is chosen as the save format...;)

ironfistchamp
November 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
Personally I found GIMP quite poor when it came to making Gifs. It never seemed to work right. Can't really explain it but I would like to see a program that was explicitly developed for Gif animation purposes. Too bad I am not good enough to port it.

Ironfistchamp

hod139
November 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
imagemagick can make animated gifs, among handling almost every other image format.

kperkins
November 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Looks like the only thing that this prog will do, that gimp doesn't, is set how many times to loop the gif. I don't really see any benefits to it, since if you want to set the number of times to loop there you can do it with gifsicle (actually making a gui for gifsicle would probaly be easier than porting this, since there are lots of calls to the Windows api in the code I looked at, and you'd have to redo the whole gui anyways since it uses MS Developer Studio for the gui building.) Also, it is not GPL'd.
" "LegalCopyright", "Copyright © 2001 WhitSoft Development" "

billynomates
July 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM
This post was ages ago, but in case anyone is looking.

When you save a gif in GIMP, it asks gives you the option to roll the layers through as an animation, and the delay between each one.