PDA

View Full Version : Poll; Does anyone actually play these games?

squidward_tentacels
November 21st, 2006, 12:40 AM
My menu on a default install of ubuntu is littered with hordes of<cough>lame</cough> games. My question is, does anyone actually play these dated relics? I could see if some of the cooler games (slune, tux racer, the mario clone...I forget what its called, etc) were even on the menu, but these ancient relics remind me of DOS.

Now I know someone is going to post , as to how all the games Ive mentioned require 3-D acceleration, and a semi-decent amount of system resources, but isnt Xubuntu available for this scenario?

I love my Ubuntu, & you can just edit them off the menu with alacarte, but personally I just feel they are a waste of space. If I wanted these, I think I would just just enable the "stupid game repository" : P

Anyway, Just my opinion

aysiu
November 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
I play Gnometris sometimes.

P.S. I've moved this to a more appropriate forum.

smile_sunshine
November 21st, 2006, 12:48 AM
I play the tetris type game and the solitaire type game :)
hey maybe if they weren't on there i would get more work done lol :)

LLRNR
November 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Well you're not quite accurate: I never saw Mines(weeper) in DOS for example. And neither Solitaire & card games (except for some lame simulations). If you don't like the "Games" entry in the menu, it's quite easy to remove. And it's not a great waste of space... they're small apps, really. (At least I don't consider them to be a space-waste, and I only have 15 GB)

Well maybe some people just looooooove Mines :D, this is my perfect form of relaxing. LOL, I'd feel jailed if I wouldn't have Mines available from time to time.

Of course it's just my personal opinion... And I think the developers thought ok in this matter, since TuxRacer and other games you mentioned are more demanding than simple Mines, or Robots (I think back in the Mac days it was called MacDrone, but I'm not sure).

Is this ok with you ?

skymt
November 21st, 2006, 12:51 AM
I'd vote no, but I'm a Robots addict. Sorry. :p

FyreBrand
November 21st, 2006, 12:51 AM
I wish I could remove the gnome games I don't like (which is all but one or two) without irritating package management. Why must all of them be removed if I remove one? I suppose there is a way to remove the gnome games package and search for the individual game packages, but they aren't really worth the trouble so I just remove them all.

It's not that big of a deal I suppose.

edit: the Tux Racer is a cool game. That's much more worthy of a default install, but it would probably take up too much room on the CD.

gigaferz
November 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
It depends!
What I play is the solitaire and tetris, and black jack..These are games just for a quick break.

You'll find people everywhere hooked on this, just cause they are simple, and entertaining.

And I consider myself a hardcore gamer (console only)

Heck! I am about to finish Ninja Gaiden for NES!!

squidward_tentacels
November 21st, 2006, 01:01 AM
Lol! Ninja Gaiden is cool:)

MaximB
November 21st, 2006, 01:30 AM
the problem with all those gnome/KDE/XFCEigames is that it's hard to remove them after the installation, that really pisses me off.
and you can't install just one game...you have to install all the package.

seijuro
November 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM
I play several of the games and the fore mentioned mario clone is called Super Tux. Alough I really like Pysol best for solitaire. I think Chromium BSU would be a good one to include as well.

LLRNR
November 21st, 2006, 01:46 AM
Well the thing with these "stupid" games as squidward_tentacels calls them... is that it's a very personal issue. My very first contacts with a computer date back to 1992 or 1993 with an old Mac OmniBook (black & white), very simple, and plain-old DOS.

I find myself to be very attached to those stupid little games, yes, I love them. I love Mines for instance (I first played Minesweeper on ******* of course), Robots (the Mac "MacDrone" equivalent) and Gnometris (reminds me of the old old 1989 I think Pentax).

So I guess that the developers simply thought about putting in their distro such stupid games for such stupid people like me :D so I love them even more for that.

Cheers !

LLRNR

deanlinkous
November 21st, 2006, 02:03 AM
my two time wasters...
frozenbubble and tuxracer
tuxracer usually is fine on intel video chips as well as Via onboard, not sure about SIS onboard chips.

kuja
November 21st, 2006, 02:50 AM
I play quite a few of these sorts of games :) Frozen Bubble, Mahjongg, Sokoban, Mines, Crack Attack, and others. Great for wasting time.

gnomeuser
November 21st, 2006, 02:59 AM
Dare you call Frozen Bubble 2 antiquated??

I'll open up a can of FreeCiv whoopass on you boy! ;)

I play Nexiuz, Battle for Wesnoth, FreeCiv, Frozen Bubble 2.. lots of good games to keep me entertain, sure they aren't the latest 3d shooter games but honestly aside a really good RTS akin to Ground Control or Command and Conqueror I don't miss much gaming on Linux.

steven8
November 21st, 2006, 03:03 AM
I hate to say it, but this question SO Squidward. Don't you think?

I know that the reason the basic card games were developed for windows was a way of testing windows as it was developed. the graphics, minimize, maximize and such. I just assumed that Ubuntu was just sort of following the tradition of including simple games in the package.

Now, if they were going to include more ADVANCED games, I would have been happy with a copy of Serious Sam!!

:-)

P.S. - I love statements like, "I only have 15 gb." :-) When I got my Acer Aspire in '96, people said it was LUDICROUS to have 4.2 gbs of space. "You won't fill that up in your lifetime!", one guy told me. :-)

nalmeth
November 21st, 2006, 03:04 AM
No, they're pretty lame

There are better equivalents available for a little more work, though I don't go through any trouble to remove/hide them. I just happily ignore them.

coder_
November 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM
I like Tetravex, and I'm trying to get into FreeCiv (Friend's Recommendation).

glotz
November 21st, 2006, 03:18 AM
I don't play those games and never have really tried them out properly. But as long as some people do, I'll be voting yes because the package is so miniscule.

jmtjet
November 21st, 2006, 05:51 AM
FreeCell and Black Jack. Once played 15,000 games(over a long period) of Freecell on my windows machine-won 82% of them. :-?

steven8
November 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Freecell on my windows machine-won 82% of them.

Just like my wife. How do you DO it?!

56phil
November 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
I'll play mahjongg from time to time. However, if they need the space on the live CD for something else life would go on. All the games are available from add/remove on the Applications menu.

megamania
November 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
I never play games on a computer (every once in a while I play games on my old Atari collection), but I think it's ok to put nice little games on a default install.

Something I suggested sometime ago was to include install option for macro-categories of software - something like:
-install games?
-install open office?
-install multimedia players?
(etc.)

That way, by simply checking/unchecking a few options you could customize your install without having to use the server install.

Circus-Killer
November 21st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Mahjongg for teh win! :D

zcal
November 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
I don`t really know how "stupid" they are as I donīt really play them. It kind of irks me that it is the most filled-up submenu for applications though, and I donīt even use it. I install more involved games to get my fix. :rolleyes:

darkninja
November 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
Well I think that the default games are your usual office work fare. A required feature of any decent OS ;-)

If you want something really fancy you should install it yourself.

daynah
November 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
I play Tali like a mad fiend when the internet is down. I don't know, internet goes down, it's like I forget what to do with my computer and I go back to my old "dice rollin'" ways... or something... But I play tali and tetris and that is it of the original games.

fuscia
November 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM
i like changing the background color in mahjong.

glotz
November 21st, 2006, 03:40 PM
Something I suggested sometime ago was to include install option for macro-categories of software - something like:
-install games?
-install open office?
-install multimedia players?
(etc.)

That way, by simply checking/unchecking a few options you could customize your install without having to use the server install.
Yeah, this would be very nice. It's too bad many programs think that all users are idiots and would be immediately scared away if they must do something else than hit the next button like hell to install something. As result we end up with all kind of useless crap (I'm talking about the clueless hordes here). For example, bluetooth, RAID, shetloads of strange fonts and whatnot.

mrgnash
November 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
I've spent more time playing with Kiba-Dock.

Terracotta
November 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
I just love that kubuntu comes with no games, if I want a stupid game I will install it myself, it's not like it's hard, but whether a game is fun, depends too much on personal taste, so why include it by default (in the case of ubuntu)?

Old Pink
November 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM
I removed all mine straight away, absolutely no need for them.

Take them out and fill the space with something useful. :)

sanderella
November 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM
:KS I play Patience (solitaire), Mah Jonng and Same Gnome. My husband plays Tetris, Mines and Nibbles.
The Ubuntu Mah Jonng tiles are the best on the web.

lyceum
November 21st, 2006, 10:04 PM
I don't play ALL the games, but some of them are cool. I jsut wish I could remove the ones I don't like from the add/remove screen.

mediax
November 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Personally, I like having the simple games available as a quick and easy five minute relaxation. My personal preference is Tali.

P.S. - I love statements like, "I only have 15 gb." :-) When I got my Acer Aspire in '96, people said it was LUDICROUS to have 4.2 gbs of space. "You won't fill that up in your lifetime!", one guy told me. :-)

I remember thinking exactly the same when I got my first 20Mb hard disk!

steven8
December 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
It's amazing, isn't it. I now have a 160gb HDD, and have only 115 available. I think nothing of it. :-)

Nonno Bassotto
December 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yes, I sometimes play them. Anyway I don't think that any os should ship with any complex game, like TuxRacer. The games shipped with ubuntu may be changed a bit, but should be simple patience or board games, to relax a bit.

iPower
December 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
i play them when i don't have anything to do or when im waiting for downloads to finish

ChadMMc
December 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
I don't worry about whether they are installed or not. True, if you want maybe one or two you still have to have the rest of the package installed for them (I sometimes play the mah jongg and blackjack and same gnome every once in a while). If you want to clear up the menu then just right click on applications and edit the menu. That's what I did. (The original gnome-games base package is quite small really, I only have a 12GiB drive and I still have plenty of space)

imhdd
December 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM
My wife and I play some of these simple games daily and if they weren't there, I would download them. I downloaded Shisen-Sho and we have an ongoing contest with it. But her favorite game is online Poker (for chips only) and my favorite diversion is playing with our Web site. But when I just want to relax, I enjoy a few minutes with Freecell or one of the other simple games that doesn't require much skill or thinking.

kop316
December 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Since we r on the discussion of these old games, I have a quesiton:

Is there a port of Scarab of Ra for Linux? I loved that game.
http://www.semicolon.com/Scarab.html

glotz
December 7th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Quite offtopic really but have you tried an emulator? E.g. qemu (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) or sheepshaver (http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/) or pearpc (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/).

3rdalbum
December 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I play AisleRiot all the time. I occasionally play Mines, and I sometimes play Robots (which is actually a clone of the game "Daleks", not "MacDrone").

Some distributions don't have games, so I think they're quite a welcome thing to have.

xopher
December 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I find it good they include the games - I mean, they don't take many MB's of space.. gnome-sudoku is something I'd like to see in future releases though ;)

Maybe the list of games should be updated instead, removing games that aren't popular and adding something better. Just a thought.

Olav
January 4th, 2007, 04:19 AM
The gnome-games have to go. It's not that I hate them, but they should be optional. As it is now, they are a requirement of the ubuntu-desktop package. I just don't think that is right. People should have the option of installing the desktop with absolutely NO distractions.

Mateo
January 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM
^^ it is? i removed the games, don't think ubuntu-desktop is gone...

anyways, i hate that the card games have such small cards that you can barely see them. I was quite depressed to learn that linux doesn't have a decent freecell! i'm forced to Wine the windows freecell.

IYY
January 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I occasionally play Gnometris, Mines, and Mahjongg. Don't underestimate the importance of these little games. Kids and the elderly can decide to switch over to Ubuntu just for them!

emarkay
January 4th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Games, we don't need no stinkin' games.....

What a waste of bandwidth...

roachk71
January 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I personally like Solitaire, Blackjack and Mahjongg. Of the games that aren't included I tend to install Pingus, Enigma and ClanBomber (they rock).

sgx
January 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM
If the games were not -ever- dependancies, I would not mind their slipping in on a default install. Only
Mandriva gives you significant install selections. Other partially selectable distro installs offer the
'see if you can install without OO.ORG' adventure game...which I often lost to the computer opponent,
but usually won, in sudden-death 'Apt-get remove' overtime periods!

xmastree
January 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I play Gnometris sometimes.Oh yes, me too. What's your high score? I'm up to 60,000 :cool:

plb
January 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Just curious. Am I the only one who would prefer games that people actually played e.g. frozen bubble for instance?

meng
January 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, question has been raised before, of course. I occasionally play Tali and Tetravex. And of course, Freecell is a MUST for Windows refugees. This inevitably leads to the question as to whether a games package, or more accurately, THIS games package, should be installed by default. The debate is not that important in my opinion.

Koybe
January 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm playing mines a lot :D I like to hit the scores!

aysiu
January 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, question has been raised before, of course. I've merged this with the other thread.

jrb114
January 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I've scan read the entire listing... I was a bit surprised to find that no one said they play "Five in a row". I've kind of informally renamed it "Marbles", but my girlfriend and I are both pretty hooked on it. (Which doesn't mean we're very good.) Never mind latex for writing her thesis, I think marbles was mostly responsible for her finally deciding Ubuntu is better than Windows.

So I vote yes.

pmj
January 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I think a lot more people play solitaire than Frozen Bubble, so the games package should stay. I like Mines myself.

Olav
January 10th, 2007, 09:14 PM
(I said removing gnome games also removes ubuntu-desktop)

^^ it is? i removed the games, don't think ubuntu-desktop is gone...
You are right. Well, this is an improvement. I am quite sure that in previous versions of Ubuntu it did exactly what I said.

doobit
January 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
There was a game in Windows 3.1 that I really liked and would like to see in Ubuntu. It was called "Barney Blaster" Barney would walk across the screen making Barney noises and your mouse cursor became a gun site and you could blast Barney with a right click of the mouse.

macogw
January 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm a Mines addict, but I do install Frozen Bubble. That's fun. I have TuxRacer installed, but I'm terrible at it and don't play it. Oh, I really like Mah Jong too. And Solitaire. Is Sudoku going to be in Feisty by default? I know two of the games are changing, and I think that's one that's being put in. I like that one too.

PartisanEntity
January 10th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I love Mahjongg :)

tbrminsanity
January 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Every OS worth anything has some basic games available for it. This is because you need something to entertain yourself on the system and attract new users to the system. I'm actually please with the starting games on Ubuntu. The wide range of simple games are fun and hit many different gamers tastes.

MkfIbK7a
January 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
My menu on a default install of ubuntu is littered with hordes of<cough>lame</cough> games. My question is, does anyone actually play these dated relics? I could see if some of the cooler games (slune, tux racer, the mario clone...I forget what its called, etc) were even on the menu, but these ancient relics remind me of DOS.

Now I know someone is going to post , as to how all the games Ive mentioned require 3-D acceleration, and a semi-decent amount of system resources, but isnt Xubuntu available for this scenario?

I love my Ubuntu, & you can just edit them off the menu with alacarte, but personally I just feel they are a waste of space. If I wanted these, I think I would just just enable the "stupid game repository" : P

Anyway, Just my opinion

the super mario clone is "super tux"
that game doesnt need much resouces...