PDA

View Full Version : Why Bother???

tim sedge
November 20th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I have been looking over several forums now and I am confused. Why should I bother to send in anything when nothing comes back that is helpful. One forum seems to have a huge bug over a wages issue. (simple not happy don't apply/take the job...)

Now don't get me wrong I understand that I might be jumping in halfway through a conversation but surly if you cant accept the offer why apply??????

I have asked a simple question about personal views about ALLEGRO and I have had two reply's (thank you). But if all issues are not given full attention why call the site (any site) a forum, why not just call it a let's insult anything we want?

Can anyone tell me if there is a serious site out there that can have a discussion about issues that mean something. (PLEASE).

And then if this is it where is serious?

xpod
November 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Not half as confused as me:confused:

meng
November 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah I agree, this is the only internet forum in existence where not all issues are given full attention. For shame!

Mr Fat Bat
November 20th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The funny thing is that out of all the tech forum sites i've been to this one has probably the fastest and best response rate i've seen! I can't count the number of issues i've had resolved in under an hour, sure as hell beats the real support desk at work ;)

mssever
November 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM
You've been asking for personal opinions about allegro. Perhaps no one who is knowledgable enough about allegro to offer an opinion has read your (multiple) posts. I personally know nothing about allegro. But I suspect that if you asked a more specific question, you'd get better answers.

aysiu
November 20th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Okay, I don't know what the problem is, but it seems site-related, so I've moved the thread to the Forums Feedback section.

xpod
November 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Aint there forums for this "allegro" like there are forums for practically everything else??

I know thats mabey not the same but you would at least find people talking about allegro.

I use quite a few apps that are mabey better supported on their own forums.
Not many mind you;)

bulldog
November 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Yes,what can we say.............sorry we haven't more time available.

And I have no idea what ALLEGRO stands for,Im deeply sorry for my ignorance.

turbojugend_gr
November 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I don't represent anyone but my self with this response. I 've only decided to use ubuntu while I was a complete noob, cause the community was amazing. I understand it is not a nice thing to not get an answer, but if what you ask is not a Linux close-related issue, I can't understand why you suppose everyone knows about it, yet they decide not to answer. If allegro game library (or whatever) is what you talking about then it's their forums (if any) responsibility. I can't imagine going over to a windoz (or macos or suse forum) forum and asking sth about python or Football Manager 2007 and expect serious responses. Last but not least, you should bump the thread daily, cause in the thousands of threads it is not easy to track all threads.

I remind you ,that's my point of view but I have a strong impression that it is hard to seriously argue about it.

Cheers, TJ.

Henry Rayker
November 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I'm not quite sure I follow. First off, this doesn't sound like a beginner's problem with Ubuntu, but a problem with forums in general. As such, it should be in the Backyard (or at least the Cafe).

Secondly, not every single post can be responded to by every single poster. Your post count is hidden, but I would be willing to suggest that it is not equivalent to the number of threads on the forums. Why should every single thread recieve everyone's full attention? That's just crazy.

The purpose of a forum is to get people involved with other people on a subject. We are all here to try to help others out with Ubuntu. If you thought otherwise, please elaborate.

LLRNR
November 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Not half as confused as me:confused:...I subscribe, xpod.

@ tim sedge: I looked through the two Allegro threads you started... Unfortunately I don't know what's that about. Others are in my situation too. And besides, it's only been TWO HOURS since you posted them. If you DO need quick professional help then why stick with a volunteer community in the first place ? Why not pay 400$$$ for M$ Vi$ta & $tuff, this way you'd be happy to have support. Sometimes you just have to wait for people (VOLUNTEERS, remember that) to see your post and reply. It happened to me and to many many others that our questions were answered in a few days or so.

Also when you first "use" a forum (like you said in your first Allegro thread, the one in the Ubuntu Cafe) be sure to read the stickies, be sure to understand the philosophy that governs the community and if it doesn't suit your needs... either "don't bother" (to use your own words), either pay for profe$$ional a$$i$tance.

Don't just rush in and start telling us we're no good because in TWO hours you couldn't get a fulfilling reply. Everybody tries to help with what they can and where they can and when they can.

If you'd have been more receptive, you'd realised that this IS a good forum with a wonderful community, who happily tries to help, provided that you can respect some principles and its way of thinking.

Yeah I guess it's cool for you to be upset with all of us within TWO hours and just start telling bad things, huh?

Mimsy
November 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Allegro is an italian word, a term frequently used in and about classical music, to indicate how the composer wanted a specific piece to be performed. If a piece is intended to be performed "allegro" it is intended to be performed in a brisk and lively way. The word "perky" comes to mind.

Oh wait, we're not talking abut music, are we...?

/Mimsy

xpod
November 21st, 2006, 12:05 AM
...I subscribe, xpod.

Just as well you did..

I was about to have a rant because no-one was quoting me;)

Nothing un-usual there then i here them say:twisted:

EDIT...my dad had an "austin allegro".We could talk about that.
Right old banger it was

bodhi.zazen
November 21st, 2006, 12:36 AM
I have been looking over several forums now and I am confused. Why should I bother to send in anything when nothing comes back that is helpful. One forum seems to have a huge bug over a wages issue. (simple not happy don't apply/take the job...)

Now don't get me wrong I understand that I might be jumping in halfway through a conversation but surly if you cant accept the offer why apply??????

I have asked a simple question about personal views about ALLEGRO and I have had two reply's (thank you). But if all issues are not given full attention why call the site (any site) a forum, why not just call it a let's insult anything we want?

Can anyone tell me if there is a serious site out there that can have a discussion about issues that mean something. (PLEASE).

And then if this is it where is serious?

First I would like to, as always say hi to xpod.

Tim, after reading all of your posts I have no idea what you are asking. So, I did an internet search on "ALLEGRO".

This may help you (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html).

If not, This thread also seems relevant (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303672)

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 12:41 AM
Don't forget there's no problem with bumping a thread ever 24 hours or so a few times at different parts of the day to try and get an answer.

tim sedge
November 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
ok so now i have upset some people, (i'm sorry) has anyone heard or tried ALLEGRO? what do you think? (and it aint the CAR version).

I am after peoples evaluation about it, if your into computers (as this forum suggests) then you must have heard or even tried it?

I have a reason for the question but I would rather hear your views about it before I commit myself to a huge deal that could make me or see me looking silly. (i can do that without involving anyone else.)

So here's your chance to say how you feel about ALLEGRO! If you aint tried it you cant say its rubbish. But you could say "I will trial there free version and let you know".

So wheres the harm in stirring up a bit of fuss..... It has worked so far.....

aysiu
November 21st, 2006, 12:49 AM
I am after peoples evaluation about it, if your into computers (as this forum suggests) then you must have heard or even tried it? I've never heard of it or tried it.

I guess I'm not into computers, then.

Mimsy
November 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM
I am after peoples evaluation about it, if your into computers (as this forum suggests) then you must have heard or even tried it?

It's a musical term; see my above post. I rather like it, assuming the orchestra is skilled and has practiced enough to make it sound good. A good allegro by Mozart or Grieg can always put me in a good mood. :)

I'm obviously not into computers either. Then again, if I was, I probably would be a member of a community centered around computers, and not around a free operating system.

/Mimsy

Stew2
November 21st, 2006, 12:59 AM
ok so now i have upset some people, (i'm sorry) has anyone heard or tried ALLEGRO? what do you think? (and it aint the CAR version).

I have a reason for the question but I would rather hear your views about it before I commit myself to a huge deal that could make me or see me looking silly. (i can do that without involving anyone else.)

So here's your chance to say how you feel about ALLEGRO! If you aint tried it you cant say its rubbish. But you could say "I will trial there free version and let you know".

Hmm... interesting way to get attention. Definitely not the right way I would say. Passing a fairly harsh judgement on a forum you just joined today and have only posted 3 times on.

P.S. To answer your question. No, I have never heard of ALLEGRO before.

aysiu
November 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Hmm... interesting way to get attention. Definitely not the right way I would say. Passing a fairly harsh judgement on a forum you just joined today and have only posted 3 times on.

P.S. To answer your question. No, I have never heard of ALLEGRO before.
This tactic is more common than you think, and--like you--I don't approve of it.

tim sedge
November 21st, 2006, 01:05 AM
what is harsh about an observation?

My opinion is my own.

I asked a question and got nothing, so I took another step (right or wrong. (and I have apologized)) so lets move on.

Or is this going to be another one of those sites that cant get over attention seeking????????

The only way to get good or bad advice is to ask.

smile_sunshine
November 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
It seems many people (including me) havent heard of and/or used allegro - possibly you could try asking the question the allegro forums? :)

http://www.allegro.cc/forums/

(found them on google)

LLRNR
November 21st, 2006, 01:16 AM
has anyone heard or tried ALLEGRO? what do you think? (and it aint the CAR version).

Sorry never heard of Allegro...

Yup I'm into computers, I'm a CS student, and nope, haven't heard nor tried Allegro before...

I have a reason for the question but I would rather hear your views about it before I commit myself to a huge deal that could make me or see me looking silly. :confused:

Wow it sounds to me as if you're trying to "sell" something... I don't know for sure, but here's my guess (http://www.google.com/search?hl=ro&q=%22allegro+software%22&btnG=Caut%C4%83&meta=)... Am I right ?? :mrgreen:

This is NOT the way to do it. Period.

PS - As a quick note, you should be more precise when asking a question. I might as well take your post for a who-can-read-my-mind game.

xpod
November 21st, 2006, 01:16 AM
I`ve asked questions about stuff that most folks have actually heard about and not had answers.....Sort of helps you go find stuff out for yourself so you can then form your own opinions without aving to sit watching some forum thread that might never get noticed.

Still....

Good luck:-k

bodhi.zazen
November 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM
has anyone heard or tried ALLEGRO?

Link ?

aysiu
November 21st, 2006, 01:17 AM
I asked a question and got nothing, so I took another step (right or wrong. (and I have apologized)) so lets move on. Moving on. Closing the thread.

If anyone wants to help Tim out, go to the Allegro thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=303623).