PDA

View Full Version : Howto:Remove Signatures,Avatars,Images, from your UbuntuForums(&Smilies From TextBox)

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2006, 06:39 PM
If you work in a professional environment or if you would simply like to simplify your UbuntuForums here is a great start:

SIGNATURES, AVATARS, IMAGES, & SMILIES FROM THE TEXT BOX can be a bit embaressing if your employer or co-worker happens to glance at you browsing the UbuntuForums....or simply making a post.

Here are some quick ways to make UbuntuForums more professional.

To remove Signatures, Avatars, and Images

go to "UserCP">Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Visible Post Elements>

here you can:

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.you can enable or disable:

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

don't forget to select the "SAVE CHANGES" button at the bottom of the page.

To remove SMILIES FROM THE TEXT BOX go to:

"UserCP">Edit Options>Miscellaneous Options>Message Editor Interface>

here you can:

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.choose BASIC EDITOR: simple text box

to remove smilie options from the text box
(unfortunately this does not remove the post icons) but atleast your UbuntuForums will look more professional, and the aesthetic qualities of simplicity are more appreciated.

don't forget to select the "SAVE CHANGES" button at the bottom of the page.

or an even better option for this is to simply use your "Quick Reply" feature and leave your "Enhanced Interface: full WYSIWYG editor" enabled.

My favorite option is to remove Signatures, this eliminates useless clutter at the bottom of each post, that ultimately for the most part is used as a form of personal advertising to various links.

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM
here are examples of the difference of what your UbuntuForums will look like before and after disabling Signatures, Avatars and images:

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Here are examples of images enabled and disabled:

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM
examples of the difference of text boxes and Quick Reply:

(of the three Quick Reply is the best option, all though it won't help you if you are starting a new thread)

RAV TUX
November 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
OK,....am I the only one here who turns off avatars and signatures?

Zdravko
November 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yes, you are. I find avatars and pictures funny. They make me smile.

RAV TUX
November 23rd, 2006, 12:48 AM
Yes, you are. I find avatars and pictures funny. They make me smile.

interesting.

RAV TUX
November 27th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Yes, you are. I find avatars and pictures funny. They make me smile.I have to agree I have re-enabled signatures and avatars.

Ben Sprinkle
November 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Less lag for dial up users. :)