PDA

View Full Version : Removing The Backports

punkrockguy318
April 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Hey, I'm wondering about how I can remove Hoary Backports, and go back to Vanilla Hoary. Thanks!

Leif
April 27th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Remove the repositories from your sources.list, and remove and reinstall whatever updates you got from backports. So far, I've only noticed firefox for my usage.

bored2k
April 28th, 2005, 12:04 AM
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Put a # at the beggining of every line that says backport.

jdong
April 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM
You'll also have to roll back the backported packages... Easiest way is to invoke "apt-get install PKGNAME/hoary" on all Backports updates you've installed.

punkrockguy318
April 28th, 2005, 02:07 AM
You'll also have to roll back the backported packages... Easiest way is to invoke "apt-get install PKGNAME/hoary" on all Backports updates you've installed.
How can I get a list of the installed backport packages? Maybe I should try to work up a script for this.

dafrabbit
April 28th, 2005, 02:38 AM
How can I get a list of the installed backport packages? Maybe I should try to work up a script for this.
This thread has what you want:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12174

I used it to roll back my warty backports so I could dist-upgrade to hoary. The basic idea should be the same, give it a try.

Gustav
April 28th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Or you can search for "ubp" in version in synaptic

slnkez
March 20th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Old thread, but it's the first result on Google search. The instructions here are for karmic.

To remove backports without going through individual packages, use a process called apt pinning.

Create a text file /etc/apt/preferences.d/downgrade (or whatever name you choose). In the file, put:

Package: *
Pin: release a=karmic-security
Pin-Priority: 1003

Pin: release a=karmic-updates
Pin-Priority: 1002

Pin: release a=karmic
Pin-Priority: 1001

Packages from repositories with higher pin-priority have higher priority regardless of version number. Pin-priority of 1000+ allows downgrading. The repositories are in /etc/apt/sources.list

Do this in a console after saving the file:
sudo apt-get update

Do this to make sure your apt-pinning policy is there (use arrow keys to scroll, 'q' to quit):
apt-cache policy|less

Do this to downgrade:
apt-get upgrade

Afterwards, you can remove the backport repositories and the downgrade text file if you like.