PDA

View Full Version : How about a light grey or brown rather then bright white?

slimdog360
November 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I recently got a new 19" widescreen lcd and can really notice the whiteness of the forum background burning into my corneas. Its alright in the day time with a little light behind me to dull it out but at night I feel as if Im staring directly at the sun.

So how about it? the next time the forums go down for a bit of maintenance the background gets changed to a slightly duller colour. Off white, light orange, light brown, something, anything. Please Im begging you.

Or how about giving the users a choice of colours like in the gamespot website (http://au.gamespot.com/index.html) where there you can see a little button near the top giving users a choice between black and white. This feature would be nice.

Thanks

frodon
November 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Giving the choice with some different themes is on the to-do list, just be patient ;).

Ben Sprinkle
November 17th, 2006, 03:12 PM
It would look better as a really light grayish white, or mild tan. Not orange or brown though. :)

mips
November 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It's not going to change as they follow the official ubuntu site colour scheme.

All is not lost though, If you use firefox install the Stylish extension and then install the "Ubuntuforums that is easier on the eyes" script.

http://userstyles.org/style/show/621
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=211360

kdawg
November 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
White is good, helps me to spot any dead pixels on my aging LCD!

slimdog360
November 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM
It's not going to change as they follow the official ubuntu site colour scheme.

All is not lost though, If you use firefox install the Stylish extension and then install the "Ubuntuforums that is easier on the eyes" script.

http://userstyles.org/style/show/621
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=211360

thanks, that is so much better

ubuntu-geek
November 18th, 2006, 03:58 AM
You should be happy to know.. There is an update in store for the theme that will cut down on the whitespace..

adam.tropics
November 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM
You should be happy to know.. There is an update in store for the theme that will cut down on the whitespace..

Tease!!

mips
November 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Tease!!

lol :mrgreen:

Ben Sprinkle
November 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Hmm, it's fine really.

PriceChild
November 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Are you guys looking closely? ;)

hint... bottom left ;)

adam.tropics
November 21st, 2006, 05:42 AM
Lol, oh go on then, tell me how long I've been blind! (very nice by the way, thank you.)

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
tell me how long I've been blind!Only since about 30 minutes before i posted my message :P

And I'm sure ubuntu-geek will appreciate the nice words :)

Ben Sprinkle
November 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
I don't notice a difference. :confused:

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM
I don't notice a difference. :confused:Look at the bottom left of the forums a lot harder ;)

Ben Sprinkle
November 21st, 2006, 05:34 PM
Don't see anything different.

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Don't see anything different.Ok... to spell it out... bottom left, there is a dropdown to choose the new "in development" style.

Zdravko
November 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ok... to spell it out... bottom left, there is a dropdown to choose the new "in development" style.

Emmmh, it .... it just looks even worst. Sorry to say it. But I expected a more warm and inviting color, than just plain white.

Henry Rayker
November 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
I like this development theme.

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Emmmh, it .... it just looks even worst. Sorry to say it. But I expected a more warm and inviting color, than just plain white.:(
I like this development theme.yay :)

Personally I much prefer it.

Things are changing every hour... what you see now isn't finished :)

Zdravko
November 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
:(yay :)

Personally I much prefer it.

Things are changing every hour... what you see now isn't finished :)

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to sound complaining. But you have to understand that human's eyes are the most important treasures. One has to take care of them. Watching a blank white screen 1 hour per day is not the right way to do it!

PriceChild
November 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't want to sound complaining. But you have to understand that human's eyes are the most important treasures. One has to take care of them. Watching a blank white screen 1 hour per day is not the right way to do it!It has been dampened... open up an advanced editor, or quote a post to easily compare the while with what the bg is.

Zdravko
November 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM
Nope, it should be even darker in tone. Why don't you add a touch of pastel brown or some green-brown mixture? Remember, eyes need to relax.

ubuntu-geek
November 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Nope, it should be even darker in tone. Why don't you add a touch of pastel brown or some green-brown mixture? Remember, eyes need to relax.
Darker tone doesnt help :) There are alot of aspects. Which ones should be darker?

dataw0lf
November 21st, 2006, 09:28 PM
How about #F0F0F0?

ubuntu-geek
November 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM
How about #F0F0F0?
Were should it be applied? To the user post space?

dataw0lf
November 21st, 2006, 09:34 PM
Were should it be applied? To the user post space?

*shrug* I guess. I'm just throwing out ideas, I have no problems with the current color scheme.

P.S.: you can grab the Web Developer add-on for Firefox and edit CSS live with one of it's features, for those who don't want to grab the stylesheet and content from Ubuntu Forums and edit it locally.

ubuntu-geek
November 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
*shrug* I guess. I'm just throwing out ideas, I have no problems with the current color scheme.

P.S.: you can grab the Web Developer add-on for Firefox and edit CSS live with one of it's features, for those who don't want to grab the stylesheet and content from Ubuntu Forums and edit it locally.
Gotcha.. I'll checkout that plugin..

Zdravko
November 22nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
First of all, there is a bug in the forums, when using the new theme. No forum could be opened by Internet Explorer, because some file on the server couldn't be found.
I don't understand why are people so conservative about forum themes. There are different tastes and color-preferations. A darker theme will be welcomed!

slimdog360
November 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cool, I like the change but a few more options would be nice. A black all over would be cool for those of us who haven't seen natural sunlight in the past four years. Perhaps for the moment just dull up the white middle bits a little.

One thing I noticed is that the profile goes back up to the top, as opposed to on the left, when this option is selected.

I understand its still in development though. Thanks for the change.

Ben Sprinkle
November 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Really, the current theme is fine. The new one does look worse off from what I see. By the way look at the attached image.

frodon
November 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Please remember that it's in active development, it's just to allow you to have an idea of the changes and to be able to follow them, it's not supposed to be usable yet.

Ben Sprinkle
November 22nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
You will have the normal theme available also?
Make a Kubuntu theme also, been asking for months. :p

ubuntu-geek
November 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM
No the current theme will not be available.

liljoe76
November 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
just a quick thanks, i'm loving the v2.01. breaks up the page nicely, well done.
-joe

Zdravko
November 24th, 2006, 04:13 PM
just a quick thanks, i'm loving the v2.01. breaks up the page nicely, well done.
-joe
Yup! It seems now going better! Keep it work, guys! :KS

Ben Sprinkle
November 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
No the current theme will not be available.

WHAT!?!?!?!

Come on please have the option to choose this one.[-o<

PriceChild
November 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
But that would mean keeping both completely different themes updated whenever we add a new feature...

GStubbs43
November 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I really like the new theme, but on the "newest post" part, the time it was posted overlaps the posters name...

PriceChild
November 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I really like the new theme, but on the "newest post" part, the time it was posted overlaps the posters name...Hehe... yeah ubuntu-geek's just been making a few tweaks, staff are discussing it a bit right now.

It'll be perfect once he's finished :)

omns
November 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Ben Sprinkle
November 29th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Ryan, if we are forced to use that new one, can you release the old one? I still would like to be able to have access to the old one though.

Circus-Killer
November 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
i said keep it white, although i disagree with the welding helmet comment. i mean seriously, making it out as if ubuntuforums is the only website with a white background. 99% of the websites i goto have white backgrounds, and most of the time when its not a white background, its either distracting or clashing or something is usually not cool. white is the ultimate in background color. it "just works". :p

ubuntu-geek
November 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
The new theme is basically the old theme with some more curves added and tons of fixes. It has almost the same amount of whitepsace. Look at the CSS and the page/body are #ffffff..

Ben Sprinkle
November 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM
It's so ugly though. Ughk.

addicted68098
November 30th, 2006, 01:59 AM
They have a skin still in devolpment that is a little better, it has dark backgrounds around posts, and looks good on CRT's also!