PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you to all the forum staff

steve.horsley
November 15th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Feel free to delete or move this thread. I thought about putting it in the testimonials thread, but I wanted to make sure the forum staff get to see it first.

It occurs to me that the forum staff are deserving of some thanks and congratulations. I had a quick look, and don't see an existing thread of that nature.

A few months ago, the forum was struggling to cope with a little over a thousand users, with page timeouts being common. Recently, the forums have been running smoothly, and I notice that some op the features that were removed to help performance have reappeared. And finally tonight I notice that there are four-and-a-half thousand concurrent users! Cor blimey! Someone has been quietly working to make a dramatic improvement in these forums performance.

I have also thought on a number of occasions how friendly and helpful these forums are. I compare them to usenet newsgroups that I read periodically. There is a notable lack of the usual arrogance and downright rudeness that is common on the newsgroups. I think that the forum administrators probably have a great deal to do with this good atmosphere. I haven't seen much evidence of it, but I suspect they are again quitely working behind the scenes to maintain the quality of the forum.

I have also seen that Ubuntu seems to be gaining a larger share of general interest that other distros. Although I have to say Ubuntu is the best distro I have used, I can't believe that's the whole reason - the others can't be that far behind, and so I think the forums are also partly responsible for Ubuntu's rise in popularity.

So my thanks and congratulations to the forum staff, and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that.

ubuntu-geek
November 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Very kind words. Thank you.

mtn
November 16th, 2006, 01:01 AM
hear hear, agree with all of the above. without the this forum switching to ubuntu would have been almost impossible for me. thank you.

Frak
November 16th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Dude you guys deserve the upmost respect, your the people that inspired me to switch in the first place, and all the help I needed the best came from the forum staff!

adam.tropics
November 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Dude you guys deserve the upmost respect, your the people that inspired me to switch in the first place, and all the help I needed the best came from the forum staff!

Absolutely. Thanks to all.

ciscosurfer
November 16th, 2006, 07:58 AM
The admins on Ubuntuforums are most certainly top-notch and indeed deserve the utmost respect and many, many thank-you's.

adam.tropics
November 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Oh, and thanks for the return of the user information and stats off the front page...missed that!

lyceum
November 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Also wanted to throw in a thank you. When making my desition between what I felt were the top three distros, it was the forum here that made the choise so easy. That is not to slam other forums or distros, but you guys really do a great job!

10 stars! (but I can only show 8 of them)
:KS :KS :KS :KS :KS :KS :KS :KS

n8bounds
November 20th, 2006, 05:54 AM
It occurs to me that the forum staff are deserving of some thanks and congratulations. I had a quick look, and don't see an existing thread of that nature.

Most definitely! I cheer you all as well! You guys are a big part of why this is the best forums on the internet.

hod139
November 22nd, 2006, 04:58 AM
I agree completely with the first poster, these forums have never been running better. Thanks for all the hard, and often thankless, work.