PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CE Edgy Poll

mhancoc7
November 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Ok, I have been testing out some new tools and have pretty much built a complete Ubuntu CE iso based on Edgy. I am considering the options of upgrading Ubuntu CE to Edgy. Here are my current choices to make. I think number 3 is my preferred choice.

1. Completely move Ubuntu CE to Edgy.
2. Do not move Ubuntu CE to Edgy.
3. Offer both. Dapper as the main iso, and Edgy as the Bleeding Edge iso.

I would love to hear what you all think.

God Bless, Jereme

Biggus
November 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I voted to offer both.

I can't offer up much in the way of supportive argument, other than I like people to have as much choice as possible.

mysticrider92
November 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I would say do both, Dapper because it is stable, and Edgy for the new stuff. One thing you might want to do if you offer Edgy is to do it as an upgrade from Dapper CE or convert from a basic Edgy install only, because so many people want to download it.

shane2peru
November 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I would definitly say do both. I have played around on Edgy, and even asked before that you upgrade to Edgy, however, Edgy didn't agree with my system too well. I still have left over problems and need to completely re-install. Edgy looks nicer, and probably works on many systems, but not on mine. I vote both!

Shane

araz
November 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I would say do both, but edgy as main iso.

LaserJock
November 15th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Perhaps doing some branching would help. You could have a stable Dapper-based version (say 1.6 or so) where you only include bug fixes (1.6.1, etc.) but at the same time work on 1.7 for Edgy. People who want to stay with Dapper can stick with the 1.6 branch. The thing is it would be about twice the work to have a Dapper and Edgy version in development at the same time. Fixing the Dapper version and then only providing bug fixes would lessen your burden. I guess the only thing you'd have to worry about is making sure that a 1.6->1.8 (or whatever the next stable version will be) upgrade goes ok.

Just my $0.02

-LaserJock

dakotadare2b
November 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I agree that having a choice is the way to go. There are those out there who like to be the early adapters and test the waters with the latest, while there are others who are happy with the current offering and features, and will be for quite some time.

The option to use either OS would help satisfy the needs and wants of both users, while they are able to enjoy the benefits of the "CE" features whether they use Dapper or Edgy. Which they wouldn't be able to, if denied accessibility by limiting the CE version to one OS. I know that I have not really consider moving to Edgy, only because I didn't want to be without my "Christian Edition" Ubuntu for fear that it may not be compatible if I were to move to Edgy.

If the CE version were only offered in Dapper for the next 3 years, I would stick with it, but I may also feel as I am missing the opportunity to experience the newer features of Edgy. So I would like to have that option available to me if I decided to move on to the latest OS, while still keeping my CE. As you can see, I called it "my CE". And that is because I feel that I can share ownership in this OS, not only because it is open source, but because it is also more personal to me with the CE version.

I also love the fact that you offered to include the option to install Ichthux, as another tool for Christians. I truthfully have enjoyed some of its features, as well, but I am primarily an Ubuntu CE user.:-D

Thanks, Jereme, for helping to better an already great OS; and offering your users the opportunity to voice their thoughts and opinions!

May God continue to bless you & Ubuntu CE,
Randy

mhancoc7
November 16th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I would say do both, but edgy as main iso.

I think I am going to take your advice and have Edgy as the main iso. I have been working with building Ubuntu CE (Edgy) tonight and it is looking great so far. I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks, Jereme

HareBall
November 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I think I am going to take your advice and have Edgy as the main iso. I have been working with building Ubuntu CE (Edgy) tonight and it is looking great so far. I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks, Jereme

When are you going to offer it for Edgy? I was just looking for itlast night and all I could find was for Dapper. I have been using Edgy for about a week and am beginning to like it a lot. Still have a lot to learn:confused:

mysticrider92
November 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
When are you going to offer it for Edgy? I was just looking for itlast night and all I could find was for Dapper. I have been using Edgy for about a week and am beginning to like it a lot. Still have a lot to learn:confused:

You can use the Dapper convert_me script on an Edgy install, just change the repositories for Automatix and it will work (you may want to wait until they release it for Edgy fully, though).

meng
November 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM
So would Ubuntu CE edgy be Ubuntu CE 1.6 or Ubuntu CE 2.0? This versioning still has me scratching my noggin!

mhancoc7
November 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Well, I am still working on the build. I am having a few issues right now. I don't really have a date set for release. I just wanted to get this conversation started while I worked on it.

So would Ubuntu CE edgy be Ubuntu CE 1.6 or Ubuntu CE 2.0? This versioning still has me scratching my noggin!

Ubuntu CE edgy will be the v2.x branch. Ubuntu CE dapper will only receive maintenance and bug fixes. The version numbers for it will now be v1.5.1 for example. The Ubuntu CE v2.0 (edgy) will become the main focus and the main iso download for Ubuntu CE. Does that make a bit more sense?
God Bless, Jereme

HareBall
November 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM
You can use the Dapper convert_me script on an Edgy install, just change the repositories for Automatix and it will work (you may want to wait until they release it for Edgy fully, though).
I already had Automatix for Edgy. I installed and haven't had a chance to look at it, since I had to go to work:(
Hopefully everything will be alright when I get home.:D

montgoej
November 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I like the idea of switching it over to Edgy, or at least having an Edgy Iso. I am on Edgy now, but if it came down to it, I would switch back to dapper if I really had to.
God bless
Jordan Montgomery

cvmostert
November 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I would also say both, Dapper is the stable one with long term support, but then again, edgy supports my printer samsung 1610 from install cd...!

doobit
November 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I think an Edgy version would be nice, but updated from the current Edgy, i.e. use the latest available stable kernel, desktop, etc.
I have already compiled the 2.6.18.2 kernel, and I can tell you it works better, at least on my system, than the 2.6.17 Ubuntu kernel did.
I've also been using the latest Xfce and it's very nice.