PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Wireless networks. Everything works perfectly then its gone!!

ade234uk
November 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Mine has been working perfectly for the last 3 months. Then a few days ago out of the blue the laptop was not picking up any signal whatsoever. So I did the usual. Fiddled with the aerial on the router etc... Even thought my network card was finished.

Anyway I decided to move the router to a new place and hey presto, full signal again.

Why does wireless networks do this sometimes. It can be working perfectly and then its gone.

prizrak
November 14th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Wireless plain sux, I hope the new 802.11n will solve the issue but I doubt it. I have the same exact problem even with high gain "aerial" ;)

ComplexNumber
November 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Mine has been working perfectly for the last 3 months. Then a few days ago out of the blue the laptop was not picking up any signal whatsoever. So I did the usual. Fiddled with the aerial on the router etc... Even thought my network card was finished.

Anyway I decided to move the router to a new place and hey presto, full signal again.

Why does wireless networks do this sometimes. It can be working perfectly and then its gone.
maybe you've NOT got it set up to receive the IP address from the router(ie you'vee got it set up to be a fixed IP address) and the IP has suddenly changed. that would result in your signal suddenly going dead.

awakatanka
November 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Everytime my wife used the microwave the signal dropped and didn't worked anymore, before i found out that was the reason i almost killed myself ;). Elctro can do strange things. Also my neighbours oneday bought a wifi router and i couldn't find my router anymore he used the same channel and probely he pushed my channel away, i used another channel and everything worked again. Wifi sometimes suck.

Frak
November 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I know I live in an Apartment Complex that offers Wi-Fi as part of their services...

700 People live here...
89 routers...

No more than 3 people can get on at a time.

I use my own Landline and Wi-Fi now, whatever I'm in the mood for.

EDIT
But I still have to pay for it, I pay for something I don't use, don't like wireless now that much.