PDA

View Full Version : Search is a bit messed

Ben Sprinkle
November 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I see you all took the tags off??

Anyway search is messed up, won't search backyard and art and probably others. Onlyy does the absolute beginner for me.

I am talking about searching from a user. Like in the advanced search "search by user", it's how I see my new posts.

frodon
November 14th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The backyard issue as been already reported, we'll fix that ASAP.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ben Sprinkle
November 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Alright, still messed up today. :rolleyes:

frodon
November 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Ok, it's not messed up, backyard and jail threads don't appear in any search tool results so it's normal if you don't find backyard threads in the results of your search.

Ben Sprinkle
November 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM
How come, I'd like it to be included, but only search by username if possible so I can see my unanswered posts. :)

matthew
November 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM
We have discussed this a lot among the staff/admins. The thing is that these are primarily tech-support forums and we have a ton of work just keeping those sorts of threads easily accessible to searches.

ubuntu-geek mentioned (and we all agreed ultimately) that removing the Backyard from searches helps us accomplish several goals at once: keeping the forum searches work/school/kid friendly so it can be used and recommended without reservation as a tech-support resource, and it does lessen the impact on the search database...even if just a bit.

PriceChild
November 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
You can do a google search to search the entire site if you want to...

site:ubuntuforums.org query

Ben Sprinkle
November 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Isn't there a 'view unanswered threads' link?

frodon
November 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM
yes there is in the main panel within the "search" menu

Ben Sprinkle
November 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks frodon.