PDA

View Full Version : solution to ubuntu bug #1

tr333
November 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
The #1 (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1) bug for ubuntu is that "Microsoft has a majority marketshare". One of the major reasons why Microsoft has that market share is games.

My solution to this problem is for Canonical/Ubuntu to buy Cedega and release the source as GPL, thus allowing the community to improve the code and allow widespread gaming on linux which was previously unheard of for the Windows users.

Sure there might be other barriers to linux adoption (Photoshop, etc.) but gaming seems to be the one area that there is no visible OSS alternative to proprietary software (in reference to playing proprietary games on linux, not a lack of OSS games ;) ).

shining
November 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Why not just supporting the wine project?

Turtle.net
November 14th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Anyway, that's true that the first show stopper to close bug #1 is gaming support.
But with the constant and huge evolution of the games that will be very difficult to achieve...

fuscia
November 14th, 2006, 04:10 AM
if everyone took up golf instead, the problem would be solved.

aysiu
November 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM
It may be a show stopper for Windows power users, but for the general populace, it isn't.
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/gamingperspective

xhaan
November 14th, 2006, 04:13 AM

Why play golf when you can whack a tiny ball with a long stick into a hole some distance away?

It may be a show stopper for Windows power users, but for the general populace, it isn't.
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/gamingperspective
Definitely true.

sweemeng
November 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM
gaming is not really big issue, not a small one either. but not the most important one. in the end there is more non-gamer that gamers as pc user.

you know, average user need to know what is linux for the first place.
not FUD, or overzealous linux advocate say linux is easy(in the end frustrate new user).

not just blogs that say how easy it is. but something that demonstrate first hand. let them actually use it. and have them able to play linux version of commercial games helps.

Peepsalot
November 14th, 2006, 06:06 AM
You mean neverball/neverputt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverputt)? :cool:

Shuja
November 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
A windows/antivirus eating virus? They'll have no choice but to convert!
*cough*
Sorry, I'm still trying to curb my evil impulses... I'm in a support group, really.

frodon
November 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
You know about gaming i don't think buying cedega is a solution.

What AMD developped is really interesting, they created an automatic translator which is able to translate HLSL (High Level Shader Language) which is used by directX into GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language) which is the openGL equivalent.
That means that it will be easier to convert directX game to openGL which means that they will be supported by all the plateforms : windows, linux and MAC.

So for the way to go is to develop games based on openGL or to find some easy way like what AMD offer to adapt these games to openGL.

Don't worry this will come soon ;)

Sef
November 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
The majority of gamers like simple one person games that quick to learn and play.

delfick
November 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
You know about gaming i don't think buying cedega is a solution.

What AMD developped is really interesting, they created an automatic translator which is able to translate HLSL (High Level Shader Language) which is used by directX into GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language) which is the openGL equivalent.
That means that it will be easier to convert directX game to openGL which means that they will be supported by all the plateforms : windows, linux and MAC.

So for the way to go is to develop games based on openGL or to find some easy way like what AMD offer to adapt these games to openGL.

Don't worry this will come soon ;)

will this mean that all windows games will be able to be played on linux with no problems at all ??

as if they were being played in windows??

would they even work better because linux is better than windows :D:D (lol)

and soon as in years or decades ?? :D

frodon
November 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
That mainly means that thanks to this tool and this general effort it will be easier for video game makers to create an equivalent openGL version which would be easy to be run on linux or mac. Now i can't tell you if game makers will take the time.
Obviously the best would be that game makers make directly openGL versions and don't use anymore directX which is a windows only driver.

mips
November 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Golf stresses you out, drives you to drink and empties your wallet. I should know...

DoctorMO
November 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
frodon, shaders are cool, but I'm still trying to work out a bug in wines DDRAW functionality for a windows 95 game... I'll get it eventualy but it's so complex it's taking me ages.

We need more wine developers.

Conical can't afford Cedgea it's valued at millions of pounds or more. personaly I don't think we should reward them for going against the community morals and while not technicaly stealing did the next best thing.

We need more linux games anyway, having something that is Linux only and is really great to play will help people come over. because linux is so open almost everything gets ported to windows so it's never going to have things that you couldn't get on windows or mac os x.

delfick
November 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
That mainly means that thanks to this tool and this general effort it will be easier for video game makers to create an equivalent openGL version which would be easy to be run on linux or mac. Now i can't tell you if game makers will take the time.
Obviously the best would be that game makers make directly openGL versions and don't use anymore directX which is a windows only driver.

.....well that crushed my hopes of being able to get rid of windows...(i only use it for games)

so with this thing you speak of, and game-makers developing games in opengl, they be just as good as they are now with directx?

damn, that would be cool.....:D

fuscia
November 14th, 2006, 03:23 PM
You mean neverball/neverputt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverputt)? :cool:

no! real golf!](*,) like this...

http://www.threestooges.com/news/images/photo_golf2.jpg

Golf stresses you out, drives you to drink and empties your wallet. I should know...

1. play against people who think a lower handicap is a status symbol (they usually fail to report their higher scores).

2. have the beer girl come to you.

3. see #1.

zcal
November 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'd also go so far as to say that a lot of gamers who really care about and follow PC gaming tend to be on the more "techy" side of the fence. Most "casual gamers" I know (yes I'm using anecdotal evidence :rolleyes: ) play their games on the PS2 or XBox or what-have-you, whereas the more involved ones play a lot on PC, and also know the ins and outs of the computer. That is, a lot of these folks are also more likely to be poking around on the computer in general, and thus more likely to discover the joys of Linux. Why do you think the lack of game support is always one of the big complaints from the Linux community? Just a thought... :-k

What Ubuntu, and Linux/GNU in general, really needs to get the attention of the average user is proprietary software, I'm sad to say. A lot of people won't trust something they can't buy at the store. They won't trust something that doesn't come with hard-copy documentation and a warranty and the ability to go to any big name electronics store and get easy service.

jc87
November 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Actually that is not a real solution because:

A) If you really need windows games just dual-boot, is what i do and works great.

B) We need to encourage game producers to port their games to our platform! or at least to stop using direct3D and start using OpenGL! So buy games that run at our platform and they will start thinking more and more about supporting you.

C) Use the computer for "work" only and buy a console is also a good solution, personally im thinking in buying a PS3 in a year and two, computer hardware is too expensive anyway.