PDA

View Full Version : Linux crashes in flight!

swamytk
November 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/sprague/archive/2006/11/12/inflight-crash.aspx

shining
November 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM
bluescreened?
Maybe the penguin was just windows trying to disguise itself as Linux, and it succeeded.

hesee
November 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
So the music stopped playing. Is that necessarily a "system crash"? Maybe just buggy music player. I don't think i could crash linux by listening to music, then again, I might be wrong... ;)

(There was not probably actual bluescreen(if it was linux), maybe "bluescreening" is his synonym for "system crash"... )

23meg
November 13th, 2006, 02:54 PM
This makes me think he says "I'm going to bluescreen now, good night" before going to bed at night.

prizrak
November 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Wonder what the airplane is running if it's not Linux, definetly not Windows. From what I know they run on UNIX, could be a custom real time OS I guess.

Luggy
November 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
It's all just Windows Pro-Vista propaganda!

NorthCoast
November 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM
snore........

Wow, someone found a crashed Linux system. or not. or did. big deal. I think I've had my box crash, I just can't remember when but I'm sure it must have happened once. The next time it does I'm going to brag about it to the world since I've been lied to all these years. :p

If I was to get into a bragging war I'd point out the last time I was at the airport and noticed that every single info screen system was blue screened with the oh so useful "unknown error has occurred" error.

"Linux sucks, Windows sucks. Linux sucks less"

Bartender
November 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
If Linux gets out of its cage airplanes will be raining down on us, but with his laptop running the show we'll all be safe and happy.

PriceChild
November 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
When i went to New Zealand we had these amazing "ICE" inflight entertainment screens for everyone... about 1000 movies, tv shows, music videos, another 1000 or so audio tracks. Multiplayer games!!!!

It was ace... until it crashed. And yes... the penguin was there.

Took about 5 minutes for them to reboot the whole thing though so everyone was still happy :)

I really don't know how i survived the planes to south america without these...

DC@DR
November 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
_http://blogs.msdn.com --> and it's the answer why we have this sh*t blog posted here. Someone paid by M$ to write this piece of c***! That's it, dudes :)

shining
November 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
_http://blogs.msdn.com --> and it's the answer why we have this sh*t blog posted here. Someone paid by M$ to write this piece of c***! That's it, dudes :)

Well PriceChild just confirmed it, so I'm not sure.

insane_alien
November 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I've seen linux crash. but to give it credit the hardware was dying rapidly when it did. it took a stick of RAM and the harddrive to die before it finally gave up the fight. XP on the other hand would have collapsed in on itself for no apparent reason while on brand spanking new hardware.

PriceChild
November 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Just remember how many people there are on a plane... and they're getting served soooo much info.

Out of 6 flights over 3 days it happenned once for about 5 minutes.

23meg
November 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Then I saw the familiar penguin, showing that the whole thing was written in Linux and I said to myself Wait a Minute, I thought Linux systems never crash. Hmmm... Written in Linux, Linux being a programming language perhaps? The penguin isn't that familiar to him, it seems.

henriquemaia
November 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Lol. I loved the last flaming line. But it will only burn those who are up to it. I'm not.

Chayak
November 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hrm and here I though a linux crash would equal a 'kernel panic' and not 'bluescreen' I've had a kernel panic a few times myself but I found out that the mobo was going bad because of it.

jamyskis
November 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Note also that even if there was a kernel panic, any video app would realistically have to be running an X server - and so if there was a panic, you wouldn't see it, it would just freeze.

Chayak
November 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Every Kernel panic I've had has dropped my X server as well. Then again just about anything can happen :P

Lster
November 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well... on my computer (Windows XP and Ubuntu 6.06) windows crashes almost hourly, and Ubuntu has NEVER crashed. On my laptop (also Windows XP and Ubuntu 6.06) windows also crashes (rarely) and Ubuntu has NEVER crashed.

Ubuntu is the clear winner.:cool:

Lster
November 13th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Oh yea... my friends Windows XP computer freezes too... but hasn't got Ubuntu to compare it with...

.t.
November 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Well I posted the appropriate comment. I wonder if it's moderated...

Jussi Kukkonen
November 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Note also that even if there was a kernel panic, any video app would realistically have to be running an X server - and so if there was a panic, you wouldn't see it, it would just freeze.

Nope. Especially if it's an embedded system, running X is not necessary (it might even be impossible hardware wise). Just an example: I have Dapper running my digital TV recorder/player system, and it does not run X at all -- just pure framebuffer.

Lord Illidan
November 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Who said Linux never crashes? We never said it never crashes, and applications can and do crash..firefox, amarok, etc, for example. But it still is more stable than Windows. Otherwise, go and tell Google and Nasa to use Vista for stability!

Also, he is comparing one machine to a freakin aircraft...buy this guy an MS softtoy to keep him quiet.

PatrickMay16
November 13th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Linux is not perfect. It has frozen about five times on my machine, through the year and one month that I've been running Linux on it. Windows 2000 only froze once. But to be fair, I haven't run windows on this computer as much as I have linux.

IYY
November 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Point 1:

The person is describing a piece of software crashing. Since it's used in the airplane, this most likely is not even an open-source piece of software but just something written specifically for the entertainment system.

Point 2:

Linux systems don't tend to pop up debug window when crashing, and if such a window does appear, it does not have a penguin on it! This leads me to point 3...

Point 3:

This is most likely a made up story. It's posted by a Microsoft employee, on a Microsoft site, provides very little information, and advertises Microsoft's latest product. Microsoft has been known to use blogs in the past to advertise their products, often through FUD tactics.

Point 4:

I really hate blog advertising. It allows companies to spread lies and get away with it, and even make people believe this information is coming from a neutral source. Even if the reader does not actually believe this blog post, she will start doubting Linux's stability (because it's human nature to use anecdotes rather than data when forming opinions.)

shining
November 14th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Point 3:

This is most likely a made up story. It's posted by a Microsoft employee, on a Microsoft site, provides very little information, and advertises Microsoft's latest product. Microsoft has been known to use blogs in the past to advertise their products, often through FUD tactics.

So PriceChild is a Microsoft employee as well?

xhaan
November 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Who said Linux never crashes? :P

Anyways, maybe it isn't Linux at all, maybe they just had a penguin because they like penguins, or maybe so that Linux will be blamed when it crashes even though it's something else. :p