PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM
i think we need to get a massive thread going for this game (series).

tell me why you love it, hate it, whatever.

just talk.

WalmartSniperLX
November 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I have that game installed in wine :D I love it except I suck so bad at it. I havnt beaten the first mission yet :S. HAHA

nalmeth
November 13th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Old school wolfenstein (wolfenstein 3D) was wicked at the time.
I remember being kind of young at the time, damn, I think it may have been the first First Person Shooter I'd EVER played.
And my favorite until I discovered Duke3D ;)
The new wolfenstein was ok. It was a a departure from the old style, but they made a pretty fun game. I liked when it started getting really intense, and the nazis started throwing the evil mutated spawn dudes after you. Those electrified flying gorillas nearly made me **** my pants the first time. Online play was pretty sweet, but enough was enough eventually.

Isn't that True Combat game everyone's playing based on wolfenstein?

pmj
November 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I used to love Wolfenstein 3D, which was my first FPS. I liked it much better than Doom, despite the simpler graphics and gameplay.

It just got worse with every sequel, though, and I didn't care for Return to Castle Wolfenstein at all (too many monsters, not enough Nazis), but I'm still curious about the new Wolfenstein game on the Doom 3 engine that is in development. Raven knows how to make a great FPS, even if they don't always show it.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM
I have that game installed in wine :D I love it except I suck so bad at it. I havnt beaten the first mission yet :S. HAHA
dude, keep it up. once you get to about the third level, you're hooked.

and it's great.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Old school wolfenstein (wolfenstein 3D) was wicked at the time.
I remember being kind of young at the time, damn, I think it may have been the first First Person Shooter I'd EVER played.
And my favorite until I discovered Duke3D ;)
The new wolfenstein was ok. It was a a departure from the old style, but they made a pretty fun game. I liked when it started getting really intense, and the nazis started throwing the evil mutated spawn dudes after you. Those electrified flying gorillas nearly made me **** my pants the first time. Online play was pretty sweet, but enough was enough eventually.

Isn't that True Combat game everyone's playing based on wolfenstein?
yeah, wolf 3d was the first fps i ever played. i must have been in like first grade.

you almost messed yourself? haha, those things are pretty freaky.

online play, you mean enemy territory?

about true combat, i dunno. but im pretty sure that return to castle was based on quake 3.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM
I used to love Wolfenstein 3D, which was my first FPS. I liked it much better than Doom, despite the simpler graphics and gameplay.

It just got worse with every sequel, though, and I didn't care for Return to Castle Wolfenstein at all (too many monsters, not enough Nazis), but I'm still curious about the new Wolfenstein game on the Doom 3 engine that is in development. Raven knows how to make a great FPS, even if they don't always show it.
i agree; they went a little overboard with the storyline on return to castle. that having been said, i still like it better than most other WWII games (using the term quite loosely).

i hadn't heard about the doom based one. im definitely going to check that out.

nalmeth
November 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM
at least 3/4 people have wolfenstein as their first FPS

online play, you mean enemy territory?I played it on xbox live. About the gorillas, yeah, I like to play games with insanely loud volume levels. I'm sure you can imagine the reaction the first time.

I didn't mind the storyline in Wolfenstein actually. They had to rehash an old classic, but give it a name of its own.

For a long time it was JUST nazis, getting more and more boring, and then the monsters start taking over. Sure it became a little much, but whatever, I'm kind of glad they tried to make something new of it.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
well put !

nalmeth
November 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
aha
http://www.truecombatelite.net/content/view/19/33/
Based on enemy territory. You know, that game look pretty sweet.

pmj
November 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
i agree; they went a little overboard with the storyline on return to castle. that having been said, i still like it better than most other WWII games (using the term quite loosely).

i hadn't heard about the doom based one. im definitely going to check that out.

There isn't much known about the new Wolfenstein game. It's probably still pretty early in development, and Raven is completely silent as they have been for years now. What is known is that it's using the latest version of the Doom 3 engine, with the MegaTexture tech that Quake Wars is using (so we'll probably get large maps with large open areas) and maybe a few other improvements.

derjames
November 13th, 2006, 11:20 AM
From the very first Wolfestein I couldn't finish the last mission, that was 10 years ago I think... Now I haven't had the time to play it again despite the fact running it under FreeDOS.

Orwell
November 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Wolfenstein was my first ever FPS. I remember getting the demo from a newsagent and secretly using it on the school computers. It was quite taboo at the time due to it's 'graphic' violence. Quite funny in hindsight isn't it? I'm sure i'm not the only one for whom this game holds great memories.
A classic like this will always have followers. All i've gotta do, now that you've got me reminiscing, is to work out how to install it in ubuntu dapper.
if anyone has some n00b-friendly tips, drop me a pm!!

cheers!!:p

frodon
November 13th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I love enemy territory which is my favorite FPS game which you can play on internet (my second is CS sources).
I just love the principle of the maps with objective the XP save in the campain mode and the different characters you can play with (engineer, soldier, cover ops, ...)
All you need to know to be a great enemy territory player is here :
http://velocity.lunarpages.com/

For those who don't know, enemy territory is a game created with the wolfenstein graphic engine, it's free and it's available for windows and linux.

However return to castle wolfenstein is an old game which have no interest for me since i finished it :)

derjames
November 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Dear Orwell, if you have your old Wolfestein copy you can install it using under Ubuntu using QEMU/FreeDOS, (or any other virtual machine) or using WINE...

shining
November 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I love enemy territory which is my favorite FPS game which you can play on internet (my second is CS sources).
I just love the principle of the maps with objective the XP save in the campain mode and the different characters you can play with (engineer, soldier, cover ops, ...)
All you need to know to be a great enemy territory player is here :
http://velocity.lunarpages.com/

I love it too, but it's one of my favorite (FPS) games with also warsow and quake 3.
It seems it's the only game type where there are great games running natively on linux.

BoyOfDestiny
November 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Dear Orwell, if you have your old Wolfestein copy you can install it using under Ubuntu using QEMU/FreeDOS, (or any other virtual machine) or using WINE...

Don't forget DOSBox... Easier to setup than QEMU with freedos...

It's in the ubuntu repos...

Anyway, a screenie.

frodon
November 13th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I love it too, but it's one of my favorite (FPS) games with also warsow and quake 3.
It seems it's the only game type where there are great games running natively on linux.I agree and i'm glad that enemy territory exist, it's a free game and it's far better than many games like call of duty, day of defeat and all the equivalents.

Also for counter strike fans, enemy territory have its "CS like" mod which is called "true combat elite", look at the screenshots you will see how beautiful this game is.
However it really realist (too much for me lol), for example there no cursor you must use the weapon sight instead :
http://www.truecombatelite.net/
http://www.truecombatelite.net/gallery/

Rhubarb
November 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Quite liked return to castle wolfenstein, I remember the amusing 'bug' in the game that let me defeat the last boss dude without firing a single shot.
Before going out into the arena, wait until the boss dude walks up to the arch way, then quickly run past the archway.
The archway collapses behind you, and instantly kills the boss dude.

Stew2
November 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I think the first real computer game I ever played was the original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple 2E. We used to play it secretly in the computer lab at school (we had just gotten the computers that year... I think we had 2 Apples for a whole elementary school :D ) Then A friend of mines parents bought a Apple 2E for the family business and I would go over and play it all night long! :D Those were the days! Crap, I feel old now. :D Here is a screenie, its for a Commodore 64 but its almost identical to the old Apple version I used to play although I don't remember multiple colors on the Apple version (greenscreen).

Regards,
Stew2

mips
November 13th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Hehe, remember that, I played it on my AppleII clone.
Here is the apple image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/CastleWolfensteinPickChest.png

I think the first real computer game I ever played was the original Castle Wolfenstein for the Apple 2E. We used to play it secretly in the computer lab at school (we had just gotten the computers that year... I think we had 2 Apples for a whole elementary school :D ) Then A friend of mines parents bought a Apple 2E for the family business and I would go over and play it all night long! :D Those were the days! Crap, I feel old now. :D Here is a screenie, its for a Commodore 64 but its almost identical to the old Apple version I used to play although I don't remember multiple colors on the Apple version (greenscreen).

Regards,
Stew2

migla
November 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Is there a repository or a .deb anywhere for this enemy territory?

frodon
November 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM
There's loki installers on the ET website and in many other sites, dowload the file (which is a .run) then double-click, that's all ;)

migla
November 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM
There's loki installers on the ET website and in many other sites, dowload the file (which is a .run) then double-click, that's all ;)

Thanks, will do. :-D

(I just thought maybe there was a .deb somewhere, as it's open source (atleast according to happypenguin.org), but I guess it doesn't actually matter how I install it)

edit: Oh, "loki"... does this mean it's not really linux source code, and therefor no .deb? That would make sense.

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM
i dig the retro screenshots!

anyone else have problems running RTCW in wine?

henriquemaia
November 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
[...]

For those who don't know, enemy territory is a game created with the wolfenstein graphic engine, it's free and it's available for windows and linux.
[...]

And mac (ppc).

dbbolton
November 14th, 2006, 01:34 AM
ET seems pretty popular.

eh, i never really got into it :/

Zimmer
November 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks, will do. :-D

(I just thought maybe there was a .deb somewhere, as it's open source (atleast according to happypenguin.org), but I guess it doesn't actually matter how I install it)

edit: Oh, "loki"... does this mean it's not really linux source code, and therefor no .deb? That would make sense.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnemyTerritory

should help you find your way to installing ET..... more maps ?

http://www.new-etmaps.de/modules.php?name=Maps_1-A

shining
November 14th, 2006, 02:59 AM

No, it isn't open source. It's only free as in beer (as much as I hate this expression, what are the alternatives ? :))

That could explain the confusion:

In early 2004 the source code for the game logic was released in an SDK, enabling a number of mods to be created. Previous modifications, such as the popular ET Pro competition mod, couldn't change much. The source code allows more flexibility for mod makers. The game engine remains closed source, but could be released in the near future, considering the source code to Quake III Arena was released in August 2005.

BWF89
November 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM
The only Wolfenstein game I've ever played is Enemy Territory. It's one of my favorite online games. I had it on my PC when I used Windows. Now I play it on my iMac (Wikipedia says OSX version is only for PowerPC but it works on Intel based also). Went to install it on Freespire but I didn't see it in the CNR repos :( so I guess I'm going to have to look up how to get the .run file of it to install.

When I get it installed on Freespire it's gonna be great. I'll be able to invite one of my friends over and play with them online from in the same house :D

djsroknrol
November 14th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Oh the days of Wolfenstein with the "goobers" cheat and level 21 with Pac-man running around...

dbbolton
November 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Oh the days of Wolfenstein with the "goobers" cheat and level 21 with Pac-man running around...
was that on wolf 3D ?

djsroknrol
November 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
was that on wolf 3D ?

Yeah....The kids in the house still play it on occasion on their Wintendos...

dbbolton
November 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
i have that on my cough xp uncough desktop somewhere. i need to get it running under wine

d3v1ant_0n3
November 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Wasn't the final boss on Wolf3d Hitler in some sort of robot suit thing?

Or is my memory getting very addled in my old age?

Just about to try and get RTCW running on this box now- found the disc while looking for something completely different.

djsroknrol
November 15th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Wasn't the final boss on Wolf3d Hitler in some sort of robot suit thing?

Or is my memory getting very addled in my old age?

Just about to try and get RTCW running on this box now- found the disc while looking for something completely different.

Hardest thing to knock off out of the whole game...:mad:

dbbolton
November 15th, 2006, 05:04 AM
i believe that deviant's correct

d3v1ant_0n3
November 15th, 2006, 05:07 AM
damn. The install got 88% done and then bugged out due to 'corrupt installation media'.

Ah well. It's many years old and badly cared for. I should learn to look after discs better tho.

dbbolton
November 15th, 2006, 07:20 AM
damn. The install got 88% done and then bugged out due to 'corrupt installation media'.

Ah well. It's many years old and badly cared for. I should learn to look after discs better tho.
i could put it on my FTP if you'd like to download it

dbbolton
November 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM
here's what i get when i run RTCW in wine:

Wolf 1.0.0 win-x86 Nov 13 2001
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
Z:\home\daniel/main

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
Couldn't load default.cfg

for some reason, that file isn't in my wolfenstein folder at all. someone want to share theirs with me ?

PenguinMan
November 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I love Wolfenstein! :)

dbbolton
November 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
i read that my "default.cfg" error has something to do with the RTCW folder being in the wrong place; so where is it supposed to go? i've tried my home folder, "/", wine, etc. nothing has worked. i'd really like to play wolfenstein on ubuntu!

dbbolton
January 14th, 2007, 01:36 AM
does anyone know any good ET servers ?

frodon
January 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Click on my sig ;)

dbbolton
February 12th, 2007, 05:17 AM
do people who use aimbots annoy anyone else extremely ?

frodon
February 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
There're always banned few minutes after they come, they are easy to catch. But yes it's just stupid to come on a ET server with some cheats enabled.
We ban between 10-20 of these guys every day.

mips
February 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Click on my sig ;)

Does not work...

Which version should i install seeing I have the following version available in portage ?

* games-fps/enemy-territory
Latest version available: 2.60b
Description: standalone multi-player game based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein

* games-fps/enemy-territory-etpro
Latest version available: 3.2.6-r1
Description: Enemy Territory ETPro - a series of minor additions to Enemy Territory to make it more fun

* games-fps/enemy-territory-fortress
Latest version available: 1.6-r2
Description: Enemy Territory Fortress - a class-based teamplay modification

* games-fps/enemy-territory-truecombat
Latest version available: 0.49b
Description: Enemy Territory True Combat - a team-based realism modification

frodon
February 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Does not work...Thanks, link updated.

enemy territory 2.6 is enough is almost all the cases however some servers (often trickjump servers) use the 2.60b patch so it's better to have the 2.6b patch installed.
Now for the enemy territory mods like etpub, etpro, noquarter and jaymod don't bother to install them, when you will join a server the mod will be downloaded and installed automatically, servers always check that you have the right version of the mod and install it for you if needed.
For true combat you should install the 0.49b indeed if you want the latest version.

Zimmer
February 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM
First
Read
The game is here
http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x?cat=1773
* games-fps/enemy-territory
Latest version available: 2.60b
Description: standalone multi-player game based on Return to Castle Wolfenstein
This may just be the patch for 2.60, but check the file offered,
et-linux-2.60.x86.run is the full game installer.. (could be et-linux-2.60b.x86.run if it has changed . The patch download contains several files )
Read
Then
* games-fps/enemy-territory-etpro
Latest version available: 3.2.6-r1
Description: Enemy Territory ETPro - a series of minor additions to Enemy Territory to make it more fun

mips
February 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks people. busy emerging here and i think it's gonna take a while.

mips
February 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Zimmer,

Thx but I use Sabayon(gentoo based). Installing was a breeze with emerge and it works right away, no fiddling or anything.

Who is the person in your avatar, he looks a bit like a local tv news reader.

shining
February 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
We ban between 10-20 of these guys every day.

wow, that's a lot.. it really sucks.
I didn't see any cheats for a long time after I started playing this game. But I think I started to see a few aimbot on pub servers sometimes last year, and then it keep coming regularly. Maybe that's one of the reasons I stopped playing it.
Amazing game though.

mips
February 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Ok, that was fun but helluva confusing for me. I need to print a thing with the controls etc. things are happening just a bit to fast.

frodon
February 12th, 2007, 10:05 PM
wow, that's a lot.. it really sucks.
I didn't see any cheats for a long time after I started playing this game. But I think I started to see a few aimbot on pub servers sometimes last year, and then it keep coming regularly. Maybe that's one of the reasons I stopped playing it.
Amazing game though.You don't see them in general because it's the job of the admins to ban them. As i said someone using a aimbot can't stay more than 5min without being banned.
So don't worry, you won't see them if you play on good servers.

dbbolton
February 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM
frodon, etes-vous francais ?

sorry, "american" keyboard and lazy. also, if you see a "schildkroete" on the server in your sig, that's me ;)

jeffc313
February 13th, 2007, 02:49 AM
is it possible to run enemy territory in a window? running full screen crashes my xserver.

dbbolton
February 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM
is it possible to run enemy territory in a window? running full screen crashes my xserver.
yeah, from the main menu go to Options > System

and there is one that says "Fullscreen: Yes/No"

jeffc313
February 13th, 2007, 03:10 AM
yeah, from the main menu go to Options > System

and there is one that says "Fullscreen: Yes/No"I cannot go into options from the main menu, as I cannot even get to teh main menu

frodon
February 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM
frodon, etes-vous francais ?

sorry, "american" keyboard and lazy. also, if you see a "schildkroete" on the server in your sig, that's me ;)Yes i am :)

I hope we will meet us on the server, not always easy because there's something like 6h hours of gap between us. But please don't kill me with the knife :biggrin:

Zimmer
February 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Zimmer,..

Who is the person in your avatar, he looks a bit like a local tv news reader.

It is I... and, no, I am not reading the news :)

Zimmer
February 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ok, that was fun but helluva confusing for me. I need to print a thing with the controls etc. things are happening just a bit to fast.

Use the 'Host Game' option and play the game on your own, have a good look round the various maps etc...

See http://velocity.lunarpages.com/basicskills.html for tips

barney_1
February 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Just stumbled onto this thread. What a blast from the past!

Sorry about your installation woes. About 7 or 8 years ago I installed this from the original disc (discs?), the burned my installed directory to a DVD for backup. I was able to copy it onto my drive and play it in DOS box. Excellent!

Howto: Wolfenstein 3d in Dosbox:
(this assumes you have a copy of an already installed directory, but you should be able to install it the same way)

1. Copy all files to a directory:

mkdir ~/wolf3d
cd ~/wolf3d
cp /media/cdrom0/wolf3d . #change the directory in this line to match where your wolf3d files are right now

2. Install dosbox:

sudo apt-get install dosbox

3. Run the program:

dosbox ~/wolf3d/WOLF3D.EXE -fullscreen #this runs in fullscreen and assumes your executable file is called WOLF3D.EXE

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
thanks for the tip- this is great !!

dbbolton
March 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
dosbox worked a few times, then it just stopped. i don't know what's going on. on a completely fresh dapper install, dosbox won't run at all.

this basically sucks.

dbbolton
March 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Bump!

wolfen69
March 19th, 2008, 04:43 AM
the newer wolfenstein was much more fun with the cheat codes. :-)

ShodanjoDM
March 19th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Just wondering what's your favourite server? All of you who played ET, ofcourse.

Looking forward to frag each other online :lolflag:

dbbolton
March 19th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Just wondering what's your favourite server? All of you who played ET, ofcourse.

Looking forward to frag each other online :lolflag:
I like WF: 8.2.120.143:27960