PDA

View Full Version : Poll for Musician - Proprietary Audio Programs and Linux.

phranx
November 11th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I would completely switch to ubuntu if Ableton Live was ported on Linux.
And You?

.t.
November 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Sibelius (or at least file format support in Rosegarden). Good thing is, I am switched completely to Ubuntu. I just have an XP virtual machine with Sibelius in it :)

mostwanted
November 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I would be pleased if my Guitarport from Line6 would work with Linux, but I can live without it. I don't even think they support Mac yet, even though they've said they would do for years.

gorilla
November 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
voted other --> Energy XT
a) because it is a awesome aplication
b) because it is currently being ported to linux
c) because it will be the first host that supports native linux vst. It will already ship with mda's plugins ported to linux. The dev is sure other vsts will get ported to linux as well.. hopefully he is right.
on the downside, there don't seem to be plans for ladspa and dssi support :(

nalmeth
November 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM
none of the above

I want VST freed, with native support in our great free studio apps.

Other than having to use wine for VST, I'm happy with the free native audio apps.

Peepsalot
November 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I would completely switch to ubuntu if Ableton Live was ported on Linux.
And You?
Have you tried seeing if it can be run through WINE?

stuh84
November 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Its not a VST host, its a sequencer (I don't like the term VST host anyway), but ProTools would be good. Then again its already in Darwin....sorry...OSX :P

Pro-Tools is one reason I would never be only Linux (one of many if I'm honest, I don't see the point in limiting myself for a flawed philosophy)

Bezmotivnik
November 12th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I have a dedicated semi-pro studio for recording and I am afraid that Linux will never be in there in my lifetime. None of the real industry standard stuff is ported to Linux and I'm not about to try to kludge something together with Wine. Why? I have enough problems without that mess.

IF Steinberg ported Cubase to Linux and somehow made all the industry-standard VSTi plugins (Waves, Antares, etc.) seamlessly work in it without kludgy emulators, it'd be different -- but that's just not going to happen.

Additionally, I don't use amateur software on that machine after having some freeware VSTi freak out and nearly blow out my monitors, never mind the general bugginess. Why screw around with junk? Get warez of the real thing.

ShadowVlican
November 12th, 2006, 03:22 AM
sonar... so i can do some quality MIDI editing in ubuntu

PrairieShaman
November 12th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I use Acid Pro 5.0 for my sound recording/editting.

havent tried too many others though..

jclmusic
December 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
reason and pro tools. then i could finally dump crappy windows for good!!

mcduck
December 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Reason and Live. Then I'd just have to learn to use Blender instead of 3DS MAX and I'd be free..

Onyros
December 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Ableton Live rocks ;)

Artemis3
December 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
We don't need propietary programs ported, we need better free open source ones that can do the job. In fact, we have: AGNULA, Rosegarden, Ardour, Audacity, Sweep, LADSPA plugins, etc. Put your resources where its needed; don't pay for licenses, donate/hire people to fix free software.

AGNULA project
http://www.agnula.org/

Ardour
http://ardour.sourceforge.net/

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

LADSPA plug-ins by Steve Harris
http://www.plugin.org.uk/

Linux audio links
http://www.linuxsound.at/

Planet CCRMA
http://www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Rosegarden
http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/

Sweep
http://www.metadecks.org/software/sweep/

dbbolton
December 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM
cubase is pretty intense.

mushroom
December 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Renoise (http://renoise.com). They're looking for Linux devs, so give 'em a call should you want to step up to the challenge.

23meg
December 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
We don't need propietary programs ported, we need better free open source ones that can do the job. In fact, we have: AGNULA, Rosegarden, Ardour, Audacity, Sweep, LADSPA plugins, etc. Put your resources where its needed; don't pay for licenses, donate/hire people to fix free software.+1

stuh84
December 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Why wait for software that will only ever work as well as what is already available?

I have no problem putting money into something that works. Open source means nothing to me, I prefer usability over "freedom"

23meg
December 6th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Why wait for software that will only ever work as well as what is already available?What makes you think Cubase or Logic is as good as it gets, and nothing better can be developed? Besides, they're not "already available"; what's already available for our platform is the Free software we already have.

I have no problem putting money into Free software that works, but needs improvement. I have quite a problem putting money into something eternally buggy like Cubase that only gets fixed a few weeks before the new (buggy) version comes up every time though.

Open source means nothing to me, I prefer usability over "freedom"
I hate to be at the mercy of companies like Steinberg who can cripple critical functionality without prior notice (remember Cubase SX 2?), and only bother to fix their bugs after the release, as far after as the next major version at times. That's where open source shines, regardless of the freedom aspect you don't care about: authors don't innovate to make money, they don't innovate to sell n copies of their software, they don't have to intentionally hold back or cripple features or not fix bugs so that people will shell out for an upgrade. They just work towards making good software.

gorilla
December 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Why wait for software that will only ever work as well as what is already available?

I have no problem putting money into something that works. Open source means nothing to me, I prefer usability over "freedom"
But why do you use Linux then? It sounds as if osx or windows would be a better choice for you?

stuh84
December 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I don't use Linux for the philosophy, I use it simply because I like it, the same as I like OS X and Windows. Maybe I'm not the average Linux user who uses it because of some ulterior motive, unfortunately my life is too short to care. I use it because I find it fun, and am a tinkerer, but when I want to get something done, I don't care what I use either.

In terms of what 23MEG was saying. I hate Cubase. Logic also isn't anywhere near the greatest. I'm a ProTools man personally. I'm not saying they are the pinnacle of what is being developed, but they have far superior features to Ardour and the like. I have yet to see a good implementation of surround support, HUI control, OMF support, and the visual interface at the moment is okay but its a bit Windows 95-esque (you may not think this is really important, but if I'm looking at something for many hours a day, I don't want to squint to see the fonts all the time).

What I'm saying isn't that open source shouldn't be supported, but I'm never going to give up proprietary software and lose so many features I love simply because the manufacturer has control over the code. Who says I have to have the latest and greatest software anyway? I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 since about 2002, and yet I still use it every now and then to this day. I don't update unless I need a reason to.

Why you think Cubase is the height of sequencers is beyond me anyway, it is a fundamentally poor product and I will never own it.

23meg
December 6th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I don't use Linux for the philosophy, I use it simply because I like it, the same as I like OS X and Windows. Maybe I'm not the average Linux user who uses it because of some ulterior motive, unfortunately my life is too short to care. I use it because I find it fun, and am a tinkerer, but when I want to get something done, I don't care what I use either.That's a perfectly acceptable position; we have many people here using Ubuntu happily with the same motive.

In terms of what 23MEG was saying. I hate Cubase. Logic also isn't anywhere near the greatest. I'm a ProTools man personally. I'm not saying they are the pinnacle of what is being developed, but they have far superior features to Ardour and the like.
Cubase and Logic have been around for a decade and a half, whereas Ardour and its likes... four years at most? It's not been longer than four years since anyone started to even think seriously about audio production on Linux anyway. Today we have some pro studios using open source based DAWs running on Linux and many independent artists using Linux audio apps exclusively; that's good progress in my book.

There's a lot of room for improvement, but again, I don't think there's anything open source development can't deliver as long as there's demand.
Why you think Cubase is the height of sequencers is beyond me anyway,I don't, if you mean me; based on your initial statement, I thought you did. Good to know we agree.

stuh84
December 6th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah I don't deny it, there is progress, and Ardour is a pretty good program, but I still think it misses vital features that I really love. I'll still continue to use Ardour every so often, and test it and the like, it is just unlikely to replace ProTools and other such software. I'm very picky about the software I use, so I need a lot of choice when it comes to the software I'm going to pick for a platform.

I think that is why I haven't embraced the open source motive more than anything. I'm a huge believer in choice of top of the line apps, and Linux Audio doesn't get that for me, we have Ardour, and maybe Audacity at a push, and that is about your lot really in terms of majorly tested. People feel limited because they can't change features when something is open source, I'm the other way, I feel limited because there isn't a lot of choice in what is already available, and I am no programmer by a long shot.

Anyway, thats enough ranting from me for now :P

23meg
December 7th, 2006, 12:55 AM
we have Ardour, and maybe Audacity at a push, and that is about your lot really in terms of majorly tested. I disagree (http://www.linux-sound.org/).

Anyway, keep an eye on Linux audio; the progress is likely to keep accelerating.

futz
December 7th, 2006, 02:59 AM
EnergyXT. One of my favorite DAW's. Oh, guess what? EnergyXT-2 has just been released as an early beta, for linux and windoze! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Also all the MDA vst plugs have been recompiled for linux.

http://www.energy-xt.com/

Look in the forum there for how-to-get-it details. It's still far from complete and pretty buggy, but Jorgen is a hard worker. It will improve fast. Jorgen has hired another programmer too, so that will help.

Second choice: Sonar

xyz
December 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM
For fast and simple stuff, I like Magix Music Maker.

ReiKn
December 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see Tracktion 2 ported.