PDA

View Full Version : How do you think it will turn out?

Frak
November 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Fiesty's coming out as we all know as the all new Ubuntu distro, but what do you think will be it's strong points, weak points and it's "advertising" points to people who have not used Ubuntu before, plus any comments you might have about how you like it so far if you are developing it.

Thanks for the comments!:)

gnomeuser
November 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Let's see you are asking if the next Ubuntu release will be good.. on the Ubuntu forums - possibly the single least objective source you could possibly find for such questions.

Given the fact that Feisty is less than a month old nobody has anything to go on besides the specs.. it's a bit like asking "so will living on Mars be great" when all we have is a set of plans to go there during the next few decades.

MaximB
November 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
my hopes are far higher then my expectations.
I hope that it will fully support my ATI video card out of the box like berry Linux, but I'm almost SURE that it won't happen.
and if it won't happen, then the beryl won't work without me installing and configuring stuff.

and look at edgy...I was really disappointed by it like many other ubuntu users.
so I'm not expecting much from fiesty.

the ubuntu developers MUST work on better hardware detection if they want that fiesy work well.

I really want that they make a distro that I won't need to struggle with installing my video card.

EdThaSlayer
November 11th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I think it will be great, the supporting graphics card out of the box sounds like a great idea(and a bad idea for some users). Since Ubuntu Edgy Eft worked perfectly for me,I hope that this next distro will too. This will also eliminate the problem many users were having with Xorg(graphics drivers and so) after upgrading their Ubuntu OS.

bonzodog
November 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think Feisty will be edgy software with more bug work and updates where needed, essentially, thus stabilising it a bit.

This would go along with it being step 2 on the current development curve - Edgy laid out the initial software includes and a roadmap for the next LTS at Feisty +2.

Feisty is now working on removing some of the bugs and continuing to shape things for the next major release.

IYY
November 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Fesity promises to focus on GUI improvements, and I think it's about time. I think it will look great and have awesome graphical software that desktop users will love.

maniacmusician
November 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think it's about time we got a unique gui as well. I mean, windows is famous for it's "look", OSX is pretty unique. It's about time we got something that is Ubuntu.

kuja
November 11th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm probably going to try to avoid any new gui-ishness, but that's just me.

***kuja swears his undying love for kwin***

shining
November 11th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I'm probably going to try to avoid any new gui-ishness, but that's just me.

***kuja swears his undying love for kwin***

I believe there is still a lot of work to be done in the gui area, but not in the look area, in everything else. However, it isn't really the job of the distribution, but rather the developers of the desktops (gnome or kde) and all the other softwares.
There should be a gui app available for each task an user want, which has a nice, clean and simple interface, works as expected and is bug free.
And each interfaces should be consistent, and there should be a great interaction between them (maybe it's already good enough using gnome and gnome apps only, or kde and kde apps only, but probably less between the both, and with the other apps which are neither kde nor gnome).
I believe a big progress has already been made in the last few years, so what we have today is already decent, but still far from perfect.
Just look at the number of bugs on kde and gnome bugzilla. If they could be all fixed, I think kde or gnome would be much closer to a perfect desktop then.

vayu
November 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
However, it isn't really the job of the distribution, but rather the developers of the desktops (gnome or kde) and all the other softwares.

I agree. I want KDE and/or Gnome as they are. I don't like things added on like, the dimming of the whole desktop when I get a password dialog.

darkninja
November 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I think Feisty will be quite an awesome release, assuming all goes as planned.

I look forward to a lot less whining about codec/driver installation, even if non-free stuff isn't included by default there should be proper dialog boxes to tell the user what they need to do.
I look forward to MUCH BETTER wireless roaming support, with Network-Manager becoming the default way of connecting to networks.
I look forward to AIGLX being used by default in GNOME/KDE, even if it's toned down a lot from Beryl.
I look forward to GPLed Java out of the box, assuming Sun actually live up to their words.
I look forward to X.org 7.2 improvements, especially better resolution changing and device autodetection.

MedivhX
November 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I think it's gonna be awesome!!! Especially if it will look better graphically... I hope that Beryl will be bult-in together with AIGLX... And I hope it will be more worth installing then Edgy, who brought almost nothing that I need (except upstart that is really much faster than init on my PC)

Christmas
November 12th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I hope Kubuntu Feisty will include KDE4, in which case I don't expect much since the developers won't have enough time to test it.