PDA

View Full Version : What's with the zealotry?

Mathiasdm
November 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

Why do people need to exaggerate like that?
All of a sudden, 'Novell is teh evil!'

Sheesh!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

They're doing what they think is the best choice for their company. Why is that so hard to understand?

Ideology, okay, but please, why the exaggeration?

Lexam
November 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry you will have to be cast out of the community for posting such a thing. It is heresy to mention the traitor to Linux.

Actually I could care one way or another. As long as it does not effect Ubuntu an anyway, they can play together and I encourage it a little.
I believe we may even get some goodies out of it as a side-effect. (Kinda like Tang from NASA) Certain programs or even games that we want to play on linux may come about now. We'll see it is so broad it is really hard to tell what is going to happen. That is unless you want to look like a certain farm animal and spout things off at the mouth because of a knee jerk reaction.

shining
November 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000121

Why do people need to exaggerate like that?
All of a sudden, 'Novell is teh evil!'

Sheesh!
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

They're doing what they think is the best choice for their company. Why is that so hard to understand?

Ideology, okay, but please, why the exaggeration?

I really don't understand neither. Come on, it's not a big deal. A partnership between Microsoft and a company distributing Linux, that happens every day, right? And it's perfectly logical when you know how much Microsoft likes Linux and the open source movment, and how much they support it since the beginning, and how much it's in their interest.

Bartender
November 9th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Do you think Microsoft ISN'T looking at ways to either kill or subvert Linux?
Look back on Microsoft's predatory history against any other perceived competitor. Do you think they're just gonna sit still and await the inevitable?
They can't seem to produce better software than Linux, so the best route is to sue, and this "deal" with Novell may be the opening they're looking for.

picpak
November 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
"Your Internet ad was brought to my attention, but I can't figure out what, if anything, SuSE does, so rather than risk competing with you, I've decided simply to buy you out."

migla
November 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
A publicly traded corporation is not good or evil, it's obligated to do whatever will fatten the shareholders wallets the most. It's the whole damn system with corporations that is flawed, fudging up the planet and humanity for the sake of short term profit for some.

kuja
November 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Why the zealotry? Well, it's not everyday that a previously worthwhile company signs a deal with the devil, and agrees to pay them royalties regularly in exchange not to get sued.

Mathiasdm
November 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I really don't understand neither. Come on, it's not a big deal. A partnership between Microsoft and a company distributing Linux, that happens every day, right? And it's perfectly logical when you know how much Microsoft likes Linux and the open source movment, and how much they support it since the beginning, and how much it's in their interest.

I know the move is weird, and I know it might cause problems (even big ones), but people are overreacting towards Novell (imho). Also, folks, Microsoft is not the devil! I know, their business tactics are despicable, but they've done some good things too, you know.

Some people seem to be acting like we're talking about a religion here! (No offence meant to any religions)

chaosgeisterchen
November 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I do really hope that the cooperation between Novell and Microsoft will provide us way better interoperability between the two very different operating systems. We can only profit from this agreement as Novell will provide their achievements under GPL and therefore open source - at least I expect them to do so.

shining
November 9th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I do really hope that the cooperation between Novell and Microsoft will provide us way better interoperability between the two very different operating systems. We can only profit from this agreement as Novell will provide their achievements under GPL and therefore open source - at least I expect them to do so.

Actually, the only benefit for Microsoft I see is if they only provide a better interoperability between Windows and Suse, and not with the other linux distrib, so that they get more users.

shining
November 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I know the move is weird, and I know it might cause problems (even big ones), but people are overreacting towards Novell (imho). Also, folks, Microsoft is not the devil! I know, their business tactics are despicable, but they've done some good things too, you know.

despicable business tactics == evil
Otherwise, do you care to tell us which good things they did?

Some people seem to be acting like we're talking about a religion here! (No offence meant to any religions)

No one is preventing you to provide a solid argumentation proving how nice Microsoft is, and the good in the partnership with Novell, and that there is nothing to worry about, and that the article you gave a link to is total FUD (as some already did in the comments).

shining
November 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM
A publicly traded corporation is not good or evil, it's obligated to do whatever will fatten the shareholders wallets the most. It's the whole damn system with corporations that is flawed, fudging up the planet and humanity for the sake of short term profit for some.

The whole corporation system is maybe flawed, but that doesn't prevent some corporations to be more evil than others.
As I'm writing this, I'm not so sure though. Maybe all corporations just wish they could be as evil and successful as Microsoft.
I just want to hope it's not the case.

JAPrufrock
November 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Large corporations are amoral, but their mission is, invariably, to make as much $$ as possible for their shareholders, and, for that reason, they rarely consider the negative effects that their actions might have on the rest of the world (including the environment). For me, such corporations are immoral.

blastus
November 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Large corporations are amoral, but their mission is, invariably, to make as much $$ as possible for their shareholders, and, for that reason, they rarely consider the negative effects that their actions might have on the rest of the world (including the environment). For me, such corporations are immoral.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Businesses love money and the people who run them commit all kinds of questionable and evil things to obtain more money. From the exploitation of child labor in chocolate factories in the Ivory Coast to the sex trades to downright fraud, the love of money is root of all of it.

There is no limit to what people will do to *make* money, save we have certain laws, to prevent certain crimes. It's not money itself that is evil, it's the love of it that causes people (and the businesses they are responsible for making decisions on) to do evil things. Microsoft's business practices, while certainly illegal and downright deceptive marketing in some cases, pale in comparison to the actions of some other *businesses.*

JayTee
November 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I don't believe in zealotry. That being said..... "There is no Linux but Ubuntu and sabdfl is it's Prophet!" All infidels running pagan and apostate OS's will be purged!:)

darkhatter
November 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Why the zealotry? Well, it's not everyday that a previously worthwhile company signs a deal with the devil, and agrees to pay them royalties regularly in exchange not to get sued.

Q5. Novell's November 2 press release states that, "Novell will also make running royalty payments based on a percentage of its revenues from open source products." Are these payments for a patent license to Novell?

No. Novell has no license or covenant not to sue from Microsoft under this agreement. The payments are for Microsoft's covenant directly to Novell's customers. By the same token, Microsoft's customers receive the same covenant from Novell in return for payment from Microsoft to Novell.

http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq_opensource.html

please goto www.novell.com and read what they have to say.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 10th, 2006, 02:21 AM
despicable business tactics == evil
Otherwise, do you care to tell us which good things they did?

No one is preventing you to provide a solid argumentation proving how nice Microsoft is, and the good in the partnership with Novell, and that there is nothing to worry about, and that the article you gave a link to is total FUD (as some already did in the comments).

Now I'm not a fan of windows these days (Ubuntu meets all my computing requirements with less hassle, more freedom and no cost. Microsoft's business strategies are definitely businesslike. They're in the market to make money. The do it very very well. But they're not all evil:

The Bill &Melinda Gates Foundation website:
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

from Wikipedia (I know, not the most perfect of sources, But I'm googling fast and lazy):
"According to a 2004 Forbes magazine article, Gates gave away over $29 billion to charities from 2000 onwards."

$29 BILLION.

Now THAT's Evil.

sloggerkhan
November 10th, 2006, 02:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

MS would not make a deal unless they have a plan to backstab, unfortunately. I agree that the F/OS community should now fork every single novel/suse product and not touch their stuff again. It's the only safe thing to do, unfortunately. Maybe whatever they're planning won't matter in china or Europe, but I'll bet anything it'll screw people over in America.

darkhatter
November 10th, 2006, 02:31 AM
if you take anyone person from Microsoft they aren't bad people, but when you combine them into the "person" we know as Microsoft, then the evil shows up. This is true for all companies. Ubuntu, Suse, Red Hat their all her just for the money, they may do good things but its only for the bottom line, open your eyes and see it. Making the deal Microsoft does look kind of traitorous, but I still think people are freaking out cause deal, Linux, and Microsoft are all in the same sentence