PDA

View Full Version : What antivirs, anti-ad, anti-spyware, etc. software do you use?

shoagun
November 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm just wondering what types of software people run on different machines. For example:

On my Windows XP machine, I run Symantec Corporate 10 and Adaware Professional. I also use Spysweeper and (if you want to count it) adblock for firefox. I used to use Norton Security but found that I really didn't need a firewall.

On my ubuntu machine I don't use anything, except adblock for firefox. I hear there are programs out there for linux, but I also hear that they aren't necessary.

Mimsy
November 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Windows desktop: Avast antivirus, Sygate firewall, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Crap Cleaner, a-square antispyware. Only four of these actually run constantly, the others are there for a second opinion on my monthly scans.

Ubuntu: Clam AV and the "firewall" that came with the liveCD.

And Firefox with NoScript and AdBlocker, of course. :)

/Mimsy

happy-and-lost
November 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Windows: ZoneAlarm, avast!, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, Ad-Aware SE and Windows Defender just to keep it running.

Linux: Eermm... Adblock Plus?

an.echte.trilingue
November 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
On my ubuntu machine i run... nothing

On my debian machine i run... nothing

On the FC6 partition of my debian machine i run... nothing

Ah, the joys of linux.

rfruth
November 8th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Better safe than sorry so I use clamAV and Firestarter (a front end for iptables) ;)

skymt
November 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I use WinClam (open source :) ) for AV, Microsoft Defender (closed source :( ) for AS. For anti-ad, I have Adblock Plus for Firefox, but Opera has an ad blocker built in.

Ubunted
November 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
On my XP box, Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Avast! Home Edition. That's it, nothing more.

On the Ubuntu lappy, well, nothing of course.

RichJacot
November 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
firestarter only. No A/V for me!

Kernel Sanders
November 8th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Windows = Norton Antivirus 2006, Norton Personal Firewall 2006, Firefox 2 with Adblock, and i'm behind a router with a hardware based firewall :)

GStubbs43
November 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
On my XP box, Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Avast! Home Edition. That's it, nothing more.

On the Ubuntu lappy, well, nothing of course.

Exact same here (except IP Tables.) I'll probably install an ant-spy and ccleaner or something later on though. :rolleyes:

JurB
November 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Xp: nothing... cause it's gone! :-D
Ubuntu: adblocker

finalbeta
November 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Windows, Kaspersky (best antivir engine in my experience)
Linux, Anyone knows an antivirus that support on access scanning? (Clam AV might be good for mailservers, but it doesn't seem good for desktop ussage without on access scanning. I read that at the moment nothing is included in the kernel to support this.)

MedivhX
November 8th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Windows: None

Linux: None

Mimsy
November 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Linux, Anyone knows an antivirus that support on access scanning? (Clam AV might be good for mailservers, but it doesn't seem good for desktop ussage without on access scanning. I read that at the moment nothing is included in the kernel to support this.)

I heard a rumor that Avast has released an antivirus for Linux, and I'm pretty sure AVG has one as well. They might be what you're looking for?

/Mimsy

Gargamella
November 8th, 2006, 09:53 PM
wonderfully nothing with ubuntu ;D

Ubunted
November 8th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Windows = Norton Antivirus 2006, Norton Personal Firewall 2006, Firefox 2 with Adblock, and i'm behind a router with a hardware based firewall :)

Trash that Norton junk, man. You'll be happy you did. I guarantee you will see a boost in your system's reliability and speed.

Switch out Norton AV for AVG or Avast! and dump the firewall altogether - a NAT router plus the Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate.

kylevan
November 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM
on the family's XP machines, they have avast!, Windows Defender, and are all behind the NAT router.

on my ubuntu lappy, just the NAT router.

indigoshift
November 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM
On XP, I use AVG Free, Spybot, Ad-Aware and MS Defender. I also avoid IE like the plague, doing all my browsing in Opera or FF on the rare occasion the page won't display in Opera.

On Ubuntu: Not a damned thing. Which is nice. :)

Footissimo
November 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM
XP - Zonealarm, Avast, Spybot S&D, Adaware
Ubuntu - Firestarter

shoagun
November 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Trash that Norton junk, man. You'll be happy you did. I guarantee you will see a boost in your system's reliability and speed.

Switch out Norton AV for AVG or Avast! and dump the firewall altogether - a NAT router plus the Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate.

I wouldn't even bother with Windows Firewall. Honestly, I've used XP for a year now without a firewall and it's been fine. As long as you have updated AV and use the internet wisely, you'll be fine.

skymt
November 9th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't even bother with Windows Firewall. Honestly, I've used XP for a year now without a firewall and it's been fine. As long as you have updated AV and use the internet wisely, you'll be fine.

That's probably a mistake. Unlike Ubuntu, Windows has some services running by default, which is a great way for worms to spread. One security vulnerability and you're hacked. Worms frequently start by disabling your AV, so that's little protection (unless you use a really little off-brand), and your surfing habits have nothing to do with it. The only protection is a firewall of some sort, preferably in hardware (a NAT router). If you're not behind a router, you really do need the software firewall in XP.

Mimsy
November 9th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I wouldn't dream of going without a firewall in Windows. Apart from all the services running in the background, that actively try to pull things into the computer, most intrusions blocked by a firewall have little or nothing to do with surfing habits.

And that's before we take into account real human beings looking for an easy target to get into and take advantage of.

/Mimsy

shoagun
November 9th, 2006, 01:55 AM
That's probably a mistake. Unlike Ubuntu, Windows has some services running by default, which is a great way for worms to spread. One security vulnerability and you're hacked. Worms frequently start by disabling your AV, so that's little protection (unless you use a really little off-brand), and your surfing habits have nothing to do with it. The only protection is a firewall of some sort, preferably in hardware (a NAT router). If you're not behind a router, you really do need the software firewall in XP.

I was referring to what someone else said: "a NAT router plus the Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate". In that case, I think the NAT router is adequate. I used to strongly believe in using some sort of firewall software as well, but I've come to believe it's not needed, if you're smart about using your computer. Moreover, if you are going to use a soft firewall, I wouldn't use the Window XP firewall. Most of the previously suggested ones are much better.

skymt
November 9th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I was referring to what someone else said: "a NAT router plus the Windows Firewall is perfectly adequate".

:oops:

Note to self: learn to read.

In that case, I think the NAT router is adequate. I used to strongly believe in using some sort of firewall software as well, but I've come to believe it's not needed, if you're smart about using your computer. Moreover, if you are going to use a soft firewall, I wouldn't use the Window XP firewall. Most of the previously suggested ones are much better.

Query: How is Zonealarm better than the Windows firewall? As far as I can tell, the Windows firewall is sufficient for the average home user.

The Mekon
November 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Windows XP AVG free and Sygate Personal Firewall plus Spybot and Adware.

Linux AVG Free. I use it to ensure that I don't forward any viruses to my friends on Windows :)

Brian

TheRingmaster
November 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM
this is for the person looking for a linux virus scanner with "on-access" scanning

http://jodrell.net/projects/aegis2

EDIT: does any one use aegies for there av for linux (or windows for that matter)

TheRingmaster
November 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Windows XP AVG free and Sygate Personal Firewall plus Spybot and Adware.

Linux AVG Free. I use it to ensure that I don't forward any viruses to my friends on Windows :)

Brian
sygate was bought years ago

Dual Cortex
November 9th, 2006, 03:29 AM
For windows, I'll say the BEST AV is Kaspersky. Kaspersky Firewall is also pretty good.
Windows Defender, in a way, deserves some praise too.

kenweill
November 9th, 2006, 03:37 AM
In my Windows XP machines, I use BitDefender 9 Professional to handle everything. Virus, spyware, adware, trojan, firewall, spam, etc.

In my Ubuntu machines, none. I have tried installing ClamAV, BitDefender for Linux, AVG, but I cant make it work. I tried installing ClamAV from the repo but cant make it work. It just freeze my machine when its opened.

Aranel
November 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I've still got a dual-boot with Windows, I'm ashamed to say, because of

my iPod shuffle's apparent inability to play songs that have been added via something other than iTunes
my cell phone's obscure Windows-only driver that barely even works (but without Windows, I couldn't copy pictures from there to the hard disk)
my school's Windows-only software, which doesn't work in WINE...

Anyway, I only boot up in Windows a couple times a month, but I'm not one to take risks. I've disabled all ActiveX so-called "features" and all network interfaces, except when it's required that I go online for whatever reason. That said, I still have Symantec Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-Aware, which I run probably every other time I do boot up in Windows. Call me paranoid, but after experiencing two complete compromises of my computer (and an MBR virus on my mom's, such that Windows won't even install anymore!), one can never be too careful. I don't use an external firewall, but I figure that disabling Internet access is as good a fix as any. :mrgreen:

As for my Linux partition, I don't use anything aside from iptables. I tried that Desktop Secure thing, but it seemed pretty unnecessary... I'm happy that I don't have to do malware checks every other day and virus checks weekly anymore.*hugs a random Ubuntu developer*

d3v1ant_0n3
November 9th, 2006, 03:48 AM
On the windows machine, I have NOD32 (nearly as good as Kaperersky, but much smaller memory footprint), Tiny firewall, Adaware, Spybot S&D, then the hardware firewall.

On this machine, um, the hardware firewall. I might have installed ClamAV at one point too, but I don't remember.

Redache
November 9th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Windows: ClamWin as an AV, Outpost Firewall as a Firewall. No Spyware software at the moment, need to go looking for some decent free ones.
Linux: Firestarter.

Plus I have a Router with a NAT firewall but I still want software as a "Just in Case" Option.

Ptero-4
November 9th, 2006, 06:32 AM
In my Ubuntu box, FireStarter and ClamAV (just to avoid forwarding Windoze viruses).
On the (just bought) Windoze box at home, Ubuntu (yes, it connects through my computer hence my firewall/AV keeps it covered).

K.Mandla
November 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM
On my Ubuntu machines ... nothing.

On my Windows machine ... nothing. Because I never use it. ;)

Luggy
November 9th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I'm just wondering what types of software people run on different machines.
I use Linux :p

Mimsy
November 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Query: How is Zonealarm better than the Windows firewall? As far as I can tell, the Windows firewall is sufficient for the average home user.

Response:
Windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic. Zonealarm monitors outgoing traffic as well as the incoming. Meaning that if something is already on your computer, and happily calling home every time you boot, or every month or so, Zonealarm will notify you and try to stop it. Windows firewall won't

Or it was the other way around. I can never remember which way direction Windows firewall pays attention to, mainly because I never use it.

Oh, and when you've learned to read, pass the knowledge along, please? :redface:

/Mimsy

Patrick K.
November 9th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Those programs are not required.
Although my folks connect to my computer over the network to share the Internet connection so I must run Avast. Clam hasn't been explored enough yet and I do not trust it to take it serious enough.

shoagun
November 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Windows: ClamWin as an AV, Outpost Firewall as a Firewall. No Spyware software at the moment, need to go looking for some decent free ones.

I suggest Spybot Search & Destroy. It's free and works very well. Super fast too.

Mimsy
November 9th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Those programs are not required.
Although my folks connect to my computer over the network to share the Internet connection so I must run Avast. Clam hasn't been explored enough yet and I do not trust it to take it serious enough.

Well, it is created and maintained in a culture where popular belief seems to eb that Linux needs no antivirus... ;)

/Mimsy

skymt
November 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Response:
Windows firewall only monitors incoming traffic. Zonealarm monitors outgoing traffic as well as the incoming. Meaning that if something is already on your computer, and happily calling home every time you boot, or every month or so, Zonealarm will notify you and try to stop it. Windows firewall won't

Or it was the other way around. I can never remember which way direction Windows firewall pays attention to, mainly because I never use it.

Actually, Windows Firewall blocks both directions. I've had the pop-ups (annoying, but useful), so I know it blocks outgoing traffic at the application level. I've also tested the blocking of incoming traffic with nmap. Maybe it was the way you described before SP2, I don't know.

Mimsy
November 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I thought it was implemented with SP2? And the way I descibed was how it first was designed, as far as I know anyway. I suppose it's possible that later patches fixed that, but I haven't used it since, so I wouldn't know. All I know is that WindowsFirewall as not enough to protect my SO's computer a littleover a year ago. The amount of things that went though it was... impressive, I guess you can say.

/Mimsy

acascianelli
November 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Windows XP: Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, Symantec Corporate 10.
Ubuntu: Firestarter, AdBlock Plus.

kerry_s
November 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I just use noscript,cookie safe, and adblock+ in firefox. I haven't used virus or spyware protection in like 4 years.

AndyCooll
November 9th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I only have an XP VMware image and I only use it to play Football Manager. Nonetheless I use the XP built-in firewall and Winclam AV. And if I do have to go on the Internet I use Firefox (with Noscript and Adblock).

With Linux I just have the Firefox Noscript and Adblock plugins.

My network is also behind my routers NAT firewall.

:cool:

deeptingler
December 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
On windows I use Zonealarm suite since even with SP2 the windows firewall lets programs (especially microsoft) phone home. Zonealarm alerts me straight away.

On linux I originally tried Clam but was was unsure because it was open (sounds silly doesnt it?) - then AVG (which I have always liked) and Avast! - seem to have settled on Avast at mo though AVG seems to work a lot faster....

I avoid using the net in windows at all costs...... shudder:-?

iPower
December 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
use what ? :smile:

aysiu
December 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM
For anti-ad, I use Adblock.
I also use NoScript to block JavaScript, Java, and Flash.

Pathfinder_
December 6th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Windows: avast/spybot S&D
Linux: absolutely nothing

Koori23
December 6th, 2006, 11:59 PM

I must agree. That RPC Service that runs darn near everything is quite an open wound, for that matter, so is running Windows Networking by default. It's a mess.

I use Firestarter and rkhunter for Ubuntu. Adblock Plus for Firefox.. Other than that.. Nothing. I just run an Nmap scan every week or so to see if anything is messed up.. that's all.

Somenoob
December 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Iptables and nothing else.

ibanez
December 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM
A machine dedicated to my hardware firewall/gateway running.
Smoothwall, With a couple of mods.... ClamAV on access scanning.... Dans Guardian. (spyware blocking & filtering) Blachole DNS mod ( protect against the known dodgys) & Snort & Guardian to give me a reactive firewall.
Then all my machines run firefox with .. NoScript. & (AdBlock Plus. )

& on the two windows machines here I do an online scan weekly, or thereabouts
for virus and trojans. ( none found to date though, so My smoothwall is doing a pretty good job. Even with my son being an online gamer. ( He has Avast Installedon his machine but I find I dont really need it with my smoothie, so will be uninstalling it pretty soon)

The rest of the machines here are Linux so just the firfox addons for those.

pissedoffdude
December 7th, 2006, 12:36 AM
ubuntu: avg
fedora: fedora's built in firewall, avg

jimcooncat
December 7th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Windows, Norton corporate edition. Terrible. Need to replace with F-Prot or Avast as soon as I get a chance.

Ubuntu home and work machines, nothing except Adblock.

I have an Ubuntu server hosted on the internet side of my email chain into work. I have SpamAssassin and ClamAV hooked up on it. If it's just spam, it marks it and lets it through to the office server. But if it's a virus, it deletes it right there and it doesn't even download it inside the office LAN -- MailScanner just sends me a message where it was from and what it was.

I think 1991 was the last time I saw a legitimate message with a virus attached. Good riddance.

JAPrufrock
December 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
XP: AVG free, Zone Alarm
Ubuntu: nothing, nothing,

FoundmyTux
December 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ubuntu: Firestarter, Adblock Plus

xpod
December 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I probably had a go at most of the popular stuff out there for cleaning my dirty windows when i had them....and some of the not so popular too but now i dont give a hoot about all that nonsense.

I dont really know much about iptables but i use the Firestarter app for learning about ports n stuff(try to) but other than that i aint got nothing..

Unless you count noscript & adblock extensions.

SlayerMan
December 7th, 2006, 07:36 PM
On Windows: AdAware and the Windows Firewall

On Kubuntu: none ;)

xpod
December 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM
On Windows: AdAware and the Windows Firewall

Less is more eh;)

John.Michael.Kane
December 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Ubuntu workstation
iptables script
edited host file
firefox ad-block/NoScript

Lster
December 7th, 2006, 08:59 PM
On Windows I run the Windows Firewall, AVG Antivirus, Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot S&D.

Maybe someone can advise me what I can run on Ubuntu to protect myself?

kuja
December 7th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Kubuntu: Adblock
Parents Windows machine: Adaware, Spybot S&D, AVG, Zone Alarm

rahulthewall3000
December 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Windows : Kaspersky Internet Security, Windows Defender
Ubuntu: At present, nothing! :d

P.S. Because I do run my windows OS in parallel with Ubuntu, do I need to install something like ClamV for Ubuntu, or is it fine to run no antivirus software?

Rhubarb
December 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
When I used to support windows on friend's PC's:
* Normal login was through a guest account (administrator has a password).
* Clamwin AV (open source)
* Winpooch (open source, allows clamwin to scan files on-access, also includes a solid in-bound and out-bound firewall).
* Where possible I used windows xp 64 bit, makes it very difficult for malware to install and add drivers for itself.

And I replace most typically targeted windows apps with open-source equivalents: Open Office, GAIM, VLC, Firefox, Thunderbird and 7-zip.

With a disclaimer advising not to access any online banking sites or other sensitive exploitable sites.

For 6 months this worked fine (even without winpooch) on my shared computer with my 5 flatmates. All of them have dubious web surfing habits.
It did manage to download (and quarantine) 2 viruses, but because they did not have administrative privileges the viruses could not install.

Now I use Ubuntu exclusively, and a few of my friends and family use Ubuntu too. I don't bother with any AV software in Ubuntu, and all the ports are closed anyway with iptables running in the background.

Rhubarb
December 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM
P.S. Because I do run my windows OS in parallel with Ubuntu, do I need to install something like ClamV for Ubuntu, or is it fine to run no antivirus software?

It should be fine with no AV software for Ubutnu.

Just remember that it may be possible for a windows virus (when you're running windows) to access your Ubuntu / home partition and modify files. Though such a virus does not currently exist.

earobinson
December 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM
none!

lyceum
December 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
This may have been said, as long as you don't swap files between Linux & MS you are fine with no antivirus etc on Ubuntu. I don't use the web with XP, except for school to post websites for class at school, so I don't use anything for XP either.

BarfBag
December 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I simply HATE Norton and MacAfee. I use AVG Free, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Zone Alarm. It's a healthy combination.

mikerduffy
December 8th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Windows XP: AVG Free Edition, Spybot S&D, PeerGuardian

Kubuntu: Nothing

Firefox (windows and linux): NoScript, AdBlock+

Also, my router is a firewall.

Rhubarb
December 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I simply HATE Norton and MacAfee. I use AVG Free, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Zone Alarm. It's a healthy combination.

... and I dislike anything proprietary that has excellent open source equivalents (see clamwin and winpooch as a good example).
But yes, I do also hate Symantec and MacAfee, unless you want your PC to run like a Pentium 1 MMX!

MattSMiddleton
December 10th, 2006, 02:31 AM
On my ubuntu machine i run... nothing

On my debian machine i run... nothing

On the FC6 partition of my debian machine i run... nothing

Ah, the joys of linux.

My thoughts exactly, my anti-(insert bad things here) is Ubuntu!!

BWF89
December 10th, 2006, 02:59 AM
On my PC running Freespire I use Aegis anti-virus. I've only run it once. On my iMac running OSX I don't use anything.

munkyeetr
December 10th, 2006, 03:32 AM
For Windows: AVG Free, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Kerios Personal Firewall.
For Ubuntu: Nadda damn thing :)

reacocard
December 10th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Windows: AdAware, Spybot S&D, AVG, ZoneAlarm - all free (not Free).

Ubuntu: Nothing :D

PhrankDaChickenGeek
December 10th, 2006, 05:23 AM
When I used Windows XP: nothing. I never got anything either

Ubuntu Edgy: nothing. I have haven't gotten anything.

Ok, I did use NoScript with Firefox, so that stopped any JavaScript problems.

darkmatter
December 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
custom IP tables configuration and Aegis 2.0 (clamav backend - dont want my box becoming a carrier, the albeit slim potential of forwarding a virus to some windows user is NOT good)

RAV TUX
December 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
custom IP tables configuration and Aegis 2.0 (clamav backend - dont want my box becoming a carrier, the albeit slim potential of forwarding a virus to some windows user is NOT good)

agreed.

I use Klamav & Aegis 2.0

In fact I just ran Aegis and found a virus...on Google's Picasa

RAV TUX
December 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
agreed.

I use Klamav & Aegis 2.0

In fact I just ran Aegis and found a virus...on Google's Picasa

appears to be a bug with Aegis see it documented here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1867368#post1867368

veeravalli
December 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM
For Windows: AVG Free, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall.
For Ubuntu: clamAV

burek
December 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
---

linuxfrk
December 10th, 2006, 12:30 PM
for linux: bitdefender
for windows: kaspersky

mpampix
December 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well when I had windows, I was using Kapserksy Internet Security. Now I use only my firewalled router. But as it has not many options to configure, I don't know if it is better to turn it off and use custom iptables configuration (in my Ubuntu box) instead.

xopher
December 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
For linux: none
For Windows (XP): Kaspersky Antivirus / NOD32

jordilin
December 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I see many people here that are still using m$ Windows :D . I hope that with the new Vista things are gonna change. Anyway, I use Linux at home and there's nothing to be afraid of, so I only would recommend a firewall. In my case the firewall is in the router side.

Titi
December 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
on xp, i have Grisoft AVG, because it's free. and ad-aware, spybot S&D and i've had to perform some hijackthis in the past. i think i'm protected ok, but you've just gotta keep updating all that crap...
last week, my sister managed to get the famous "is this u?"-thing (i don't even know wether it's a virus or adware...) of msn on our pc at home. it took me ages to remove it completely.
so i'm happy that linux doesn't seem to be vulnerable of virussxes etc.
why is that anyway, is it so secure, or are there just no linux-virusses?

about vista, i guess when xp is getting to old, i'll permanently move to ubuntu. for now there's just too many programs i need in windows..

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Ubuntu, in my opinion, doesn't need any anti-spyware/anti-malware/anti-virus for several reasons:

1) The way that Ubuntu is set up out-of-the-box is pretty safe due to all ports being closed and the use of sudo while having the root account disabled. Having the root account disabled is good because if I wanted to try to break into your computer, the root account is the first thing I would try to brute force. I can't try to brute force the user accounts on your computer because I don't know the usernames. I can't brute force the root account if it is disabled.

2) The structure of accounts in Linux is such that a virus unleashed by the user would do nothing more than devastate the user account because system files and folders are not writable by the normal user. This is one of many reason that a virus in Linux is short-lived and there aren't any active Linux viruses around anymore - it's simply a waste of time to write them for Linux when you have Windows' insecurity available to play around with. Even if you get a virus on Windows, you never know if you've removed it entirely. I have a sneaky suspicion that some viruses are written and unleashed by the anit-virus companies themselves to make sure that their AV software is always needed - it's the best way to guarantee their continued income.

3) Linux is open source. This means that there are millions of people auditing the code for weaknesses, and when a weakness is found it is patched quickly. Any 'phone home' code, or other malicious code, would be brought to the attention of the community immediately. Windows, on the other hand, is closed source so there aren't that many people auditing the code and when a weakness is found, you have to wait until 'update Tuesday' for it to be patched - IF it's ever patched at all. Even if a grave weakness were found, I doubt that Microsoft would be willing to make that weakness public as this would tarnish their reputation and cost them users. Also, in a closed source OS, you never know if there is code in it that 'phones home' with every keystroke you have ever made. Besides, Microsoft was caught faking evidence in a federal court, I'd never trust them again.

I don't see the need for anti-spyware/anti-malware/anti-virus in Ubuntu.

Titi
December 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
thanks,rioghal. so i guess that's why you better know what you're doing in linux. i mean, changing permissions of random folders is a bad idea...?
that's what i love about linux. even wen you think you mess things up real bad, there's always some forum where they tell you how to fix things :)
if someone could name me a good (and free) alternative for Matlab i'll seriously think about switching to ubuntu :)

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
thanks,rioghal. so i guess that's why you better know what you're doing in linux. i mean, changing permissions of random folders is a bad idea...?
that's what i love about linux. even wen you think you mess things up real bad, there's always some forum where they tell you how to fix things :)
if someone could name me a good (and free) alternative for Matlab i'll seriously think about switching to ubuntu :)

That's the wonderful thing about Linux: you end up learning so much about how it works. Yes, changing perms on system files/folders is a bad idea unless you have a really good reason - and then you had better know how to protect the system after making such changes.

Would matlab work under wine or crossover office? Something to think about :)

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
When I used Windows XP: nothing. I never got anything either

How do you know? If I broke into your Windows computer, to transform it into a drone for a botnet I would use to hack government sites, one of the first things I would do is make sure it is running well because I would need to own your computer to due my bidding. I'd clean it up and install all the stuff I needed and check it periodically to make sure it's running well and no one else broke into it. That way, when the government sites I hacked from your computer found out they have been hacked, they will show up at your door instead of mine ;)

The bottom line is, if your Windows computer were owned by some hacker in China, you'd probably never know it.

Besides that, I don't see how anti-virus software can detect new, innovative, viruses since the signatures for that new virus aren't out yet.

Guitar John
December 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM
On my laptop running XP I use avast (http://www.avast.com/). I was into free stuff even before I "discovered" Linux. :cool:

Cheers,
GJ

kenweill
December 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
On my Ubuntu machine, I use Grisoft's Free AVG For Linux Workstations.

On my Windows XP, I'm currently using BitDefender 9 Professional Plus.

I have had lots of experiences regarding using different antivirus programs. AVG, Norton, Mcafee, Titanium, Computer Associates, but found BitDefender the better one.

Norton & Titanium eats alot of memory.
Other antivirus, cant find a specific virus, while others can, and vice versa. But it was all detected and removed by BitDefender.

One thing I have noticed about their virus signatures. Norton contains about 60K - 70K virus signatures. McAfee contains about 100K-200K virus signatures. Dont know with AVG and Titanium. But with BitDefender, it contains about 300K - 500K virus signatures, including spywares, and other malicious programs.

And thats the reason why im using BitDefender. It can detect more viruses compared to the others...

derjames
December 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
OK, folks... now test your system security using ShieldsUP

http://www.grc.com

cheers

mpampix
December 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
that's what i love about linux. even wen you think you ****id things up real bad, there's always some forum where they tell you how to un**** things :)

First of all there is a Matlab version for Unix-like platforms (Mac OS X, Linux, I don't know if it works on BSD).

Then if you don't want that, Octave (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/) is a program that looks like Matlab. I don't know if it has all the capabilities of matlab though. If you want to try it, just sudo apt-get it. ;)

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 05:26 PM

cheers

That site is mainly geared towards Windows computers.. and I see a lot of ads there. However, I took the test on my Ubuntu 6.06.1LTS machine and all ports are stealthed and my machine passed.. no connections allowed. YAY Ubuntu!

hoagie
December 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Windows XP pro SP2 (I haven't boot in this crap for a long time now): Ok here we go...Avast home edition, CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, and windows firewall.

Ubuntu: nothing simply nothing! (Except the built in firewall but that doesn't really count)

Shay Stephens
December 10th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'm just wondering what types of software people run on different machines. For example:

On Edgy
Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, and noscript firefox plugin.
When I was running XP:
Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, and noscript firefox plugin.

Never had a problem with virus, trojan, or spyware.

ubuntuman001
December 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM
windows xp partition: avast! AV, AdAware SE Personal, CCleaner (crap cleaner), windows firewall...(heh)

kubuntu 6.06 partition: nothing at all

rioghal
December 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I think it's painfully clear that a good OS takes care of itself while a garbage OS needs constant care and upkeep :)

victorbrca
December 11th, 2006, 02:47 AM
SmoothWall Firewall

=> Windows XP SP2 = Bitdefender Plus 10, SpySweeper 4, Adware-SE Personal, Autoruns, CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities 2006, XPLite, ZoneAlarm Pro, AdBlock Plus, McAfee Site Adivisor

=> Ubuntu Breezy = AdBock Plus

I love Linux!!!!

Vic.

ubuntuman001
December 11th, 2006, 03:00 AM
SmoothWall Firewall

=> Windows XP SP2 = Bitdefender Plus 10, SpySweeper 4, Adware-SE Personal, Autoruns, CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities 2006, XPLite, ZoneAlarm Pro, AdBlock Plus, McAfee Site Adivisor

=> Ubuntu Breezy = AdBock Plus

I love Linux!!!!

Vic.damn, I know that having that many programs is probably necessary to keep windows clean, but I'd rather have fewer programs and more security risks, because your setup would be a pain in the ***! (IMHO, of course)

victorbrca
December 11th, 2006, 06:09 AM
damn, I know that having that many programs is probably necessary to keep windows clean, but I'd rather have fewer programs and more security risks, because your setup would be a pain in the ***! (IMHO, of course)

lol... I know, this is one of the many reasons I decided to learn Linux. But that setup is not that bad, it actually doesn't slow down my PC. I have it like this:
- Bitdefender Plus 10 - Always on
- SpySweeper 4 - Always on
- Adware-SE Personal - Always off, root scans only
- Autoruns - Always on, it speeds up letting me choose what to run on start up
- CCleaner - No resources needed
- TuneUp Utilities 2006 - Always off
- XPLite - Always off, it removes Windows file protection (which can be a pain in the axs)
- ZoneAlarm Pro - Always on
- AdBlock Plus - Only when firefox is on
- McAfee Site Adivisor - Only when firefox is on

I also have a very simple look with no eye candy (default 98 themes, no shades, no transparency, ...)

Vic.

Johnsie
December 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Windows: AVG, Windows Firewall, Avast, Adaware, Hijackthis

Linux: Nothing.

The problem is that if someone actually released a Linux virus we'd all be screwed until Ubuntu released a security patch.... Just because we all have Linux doesn't mean that we should ignore the threat. Someday someone WILL write a virus for Linux... We're lucky because there's not many people who would want to write a Linux virus but that doesn't mean that Linux is invulnerable.

Titi
December 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
well, according to this post: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1867793&postcount=85
linux would be close to invulnerable..

Bavo
December 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Windows: Avast antivirus, no need for a firewall (NAT router), no need for antispyware (i warned my family that i won't reinstall windows if they f*** it up again :), seems to help) If you have to remove spyware i'd recommend hitmanpro.

Linux: Nothing
Mac: Nothing

Off course all systems are behind the same router, so they are all firewalled.

technodigifreak
December 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM
On my laptop running XP I use avast (http://www.avast.com/). I was into free stuff even before I "discovered" Linux. :cool:

Cheers,
GJ

John, Avast! home is free as in gratis, not free as in libre. Gratis is only monetarily free.

And if I posted my setup, you'd think I was really paranoid.

chinocracy
December 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM
My Win XP part of the machine uses Avast! Free and Comodo firewall. Ad Aware and Spybot 1.4.
My Ubuntu part doesn't have any antivir on it yet, but I'll put in Avast Linux for good measure.

scrooge_74
December 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Both of my Ubuntus run only firestarted as ip tables manager.

No XP Pcs any more

kyruz
December 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
In win XP I use Comodo free firewall, Free avast4 and AdAware.

In Ubuntu I dont use nothing extra. Maybe I will try Firestarter for iptables.

My dualboot PC is behind a wireless router with nat firewall. ](*,)

I would like not using this windows ting anymore, but its unfortunately a must. :(

STREETURCHINE
December 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
for windows i use (or should i say used) avg internet security suite (it is all in one)
for ubuntu i use nothing .although i have firestater installed i only turned it on for the first week or so when i changed to linux.
but i had not hits so now i dont bother..:D

ice60
December 16th, 2006, 12:14 AM
i broke my XP ages ago and haven't fixed it because i don't use it anyway, but i have these programs:

Process Guard
Regdefend
Kerio 2.1.5
SafeXP
TrueCrypt
AntiVir
Ewido
VirusTrap
Proxomitron
Spybot
Superantispyware
FingerPrint
lots of sysinteral programs, actually i had 100s of security programs because i like computer security.

for linux i have
apparmor
proxomitron
f-prot
gpg for encrypting stuff
i have taken md5sums for various files/directories
rkhunter
and some other stuff, i'm using a livecd atm, but i have some other things too.

i feel alot safer in windows though because i know more about how to secure windows and i'm more familar with its processes, i'm still pretty clueless with linux. if someone ran an exploit against one of my programs i'd probably not notice in linux, while in windows i think i'd pick up 95% of them :|

STREETURCHINE
December 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM

cheers

with windows xp with internet security suite running (true stealth)
with ubuntu no firewall or virus scanner (true stealth)

:D

TheOtherLinuxFreak
December 16th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Windows xp: Trend micro all in one suite and ccleaner. (actually, this is my parents pc. i just fix it all the time when it breaks down so terribly often)

Xubuntu: NOTHING (windows sucks)

matchstich
December 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I suggest Spybot Search & Destroy. It's free and works very well. Super fast too.

spybot works in ubuntu?
thanks

TheOtherLinuxFreak
December 18th, 2006, 01:39 AM
actually i just downloaded a anti ad program for firefox called adblock plus. i like it very much. what it does is not even load the ads so that the web page loads way faster. it would probly be good for dialup users.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

seijuro
December 18th, 2006, 02:34 AM
none haven't used windows in years.

macogw
December 18th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I have Avast! installed but don't run it. I can't figure out how to update it, so I'm removing it. I'm going to put on ClamAV

When I fix other people's Windows computers, I put on AVG Free, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D

Oh, I have AdBlock Plus on Firefox, but that's more for getting rid of bright flashing flash ads on MySpace

Littleweseth
December 18th, 2006, 07:23 AM
XP : Sophos AV, Zonealarm with paranoid settings.

I live on college at James Cook University (actually, i'm the student IT officer) and it's scary to see what can go around the network when you have a thousand or so computers in a dense, high speed network. Blaster is still going around, as well as last semester's nasty worm...

Ubuntu : nada :)

kvonb
December 18th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Nothing, don't need it I run Linux :)

talbain
December 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
that kind of software is one of the reasons that drove me out of windows

Roman78
December 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Do i need that software on Ubuntu???

On windows i use AVG Free, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Advanced windows care personal and Ccleaner.

On Mac OS-X is use eeehhh Nothing :mrgreen:

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 02:31 PM
i use the free version of pc tools spyware. it tells you where the problems are located, but doesn't uninstall them. it's not a pain unless you have hundreds of infections.

or one that continually reinstalls itself.

DaveM753
February 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Windoze: AVG, ZoneAlarm (older version), ad-aware

Mac: clamXav

Ubuntu & Fedora: clamav now, but used to use f-prot

All Firefoxes: FlashBlock. And thanks to this forum topic, I'm now trying Adblock for Firefox. It's wonderful!

I have a bunch of old software, drivers, and various multimedia stored on several CDs/DVDs. Today I was copying all of this stuff to my NAS server. I knew there was one file that was virus infected, but couldn't remember which one. So after I copied everything over, I scanned the folders. clamav found FOUR infected files. Naturally, they were all Windows software files.

I believe anyone working in a mixed environment with Windows should protect all of their machines in some way. You feel all safe and cozy with Linux or Mac right up until you get hit. I don't want to sound all FUDdy or anything, but this is not a friendly world we live in...

Countryboy123
June 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=technodigifreak;1874892]John, Avast! home is free as in gratis, not free as in libre. Gratis is only monetarily free.

And if I posted my setup, you'd think I was really paranoid.[/QUOTE

You have to be a little paranoid. It helps. I went cold turkey and dumped my Win Xp.

From memory I used Adaware , and Spybot S&D, to clean infections with a couple of online scans. I used Ie-spyads, mvps Host file, and SpywareBlaster for prevention. (I personally think prevention is more important the cleaning , so check it out.)

I used Avast Free for antivirus. (It had a Internet surfing plugin that stopped two surfing attacks. ) If you have ram issues use Avg free.

I used Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 because it was lite on resource. Do not get 4.X and expect a low resource using firewall and you can't import a ruleset , the last I knew. If you use Kpf 2.1.5 go to www.dslreports.com kerio/tiny forum and get the Default replacement ruleset by a fellow called BlitzenZeus. The old Kerio firewall will create a ruleset and you have to know what you are doing to help it. This way you simply have to study up on the rules, **He** created ,and decide to turn them off or on . Simply put, " it ain't perfect , but its close." You probably could Google it to find a download link. Note- Commodo Personal Firewall might be a good alternative, but it will need more research before I would , recommend it to family or friends, so be careful.

I was experimenting with a Hips program, that I believe will be the part of the next generation of anti-virus/spyware removers, called CyberHawk. It stopped stuff by its attack characteristics and not some kind of blacklist/datalist. The one thing I truly hated about it was that it needed constant access to its servers so it could check for updates every so often to be most efficient. ( I hated it out of principle. I worked real hard keeping stuff from calling home.)

I used three programs that helped with the host file, and Iespyads. Hoster now called HostXpert because it updated the host file and helped with editing. Homer helped the host file work faster and gave me a visual aid for what was being blocked. An finally ZonedOut for loading and editing,( I think editing), of the Ie-spyads.

The file cleaner I used was a Windows compatible open source called Diskcleaner from www.diskcleaner.nl . I set it to delete everything ,but the Trash can at reboot. Yes, "reboot", not once a week. The file cleaner was used specifically to remove internet files and cookies to prevent loading, rebooting and installing a program from those temp folders.( I do not trust Ccleaner because of its registry cleaner. It was having problems on the forum, when I looked at it. I have not had time, or need , to prove to myself it is safe.)

The registry should be cleaned to help kill problems and some parisites.I found a program called Jv16PowerTools to clean the registry once in a while. Look for it on a OldVersions site. The idea is to get the last known free one. The creep developed it as a community project like Adaware and Spybot S&D , and then started selling it. ( If I had known , I would of ignored it for something else.) Warning he does not offer a free version at MaceCraft ,you have to find a old program site. ***Note- It has a little bug in the program . After running the registry cleaner the first time ,( under tools in the tool bar , I think) , select 10 or 20 at a time to delete. My Pentium 3, 1.0 G hung. 2 or 3 hundred things to delete wont work on the first run. When you go back the 2nd time you wont have as many.***

If you need help I would suggest going to the volunteers at www.forum/spywareinfo.com .
They suggested most everything I use. (I found the supplemental programs, pretty much, on my own .)

Just so I can say I mentioned it. All these are free or the last known free version. The owners I am sure would appreciate any donations you can afford.

I tried to stay on topic, so I did not mention online resources that are useful. Let me know if your interested.

On my Ubuntu 7.04 Linux the list is much smaller. I experimented with Mvps host file and decide to use Privoxy ,instead. I am using Firestarter with my Iptables for the firewall. The forums say you do not need a antivirus, and Clamav is buggy the last I knew. I would probably go with Avast free for linux or Avg free for linux ,if i get to hurting. The forum says use a rootkit checker once in a while. I use rkhunter and Chkrootkit from the repositories.

Special Note--- The Faq at Spybot S&D said ( around March 07) something about a possible linux compatiblity using Wine in version 1.5 or maybe a commandline scanner. It will probably be awhile, since, it just went 1.4. I am hoping for a simple commandline scanner like the rootkit killers, myself.

I hope this helps someone.

-----------_____-----------______--------__________--------_________

How did he say it: " Its not paranoia, if they really are out to get you."

juxtaposed
June 3rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Windows - Nothing
Debian - Nothing

starcraft.man
June 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Windows : Sygate SPF (great firewall, symantec bought it out and made it crappy, link) (http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160) course I disable the windows Firewall, don't want two. No Antivirus scanner, and no spyware cleaner. I never get any, I make sure :). The best cure is prevention, once its on getting it off is a nightmare, most times can never be certain its gone.

Linux: No AV, no Syware cleaner, regular IPtables no ports forwarded.

In both cases, I have no script, ad block plus and cookie safe (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2497) (great cookie management add on) on very zealous levels.

Bottom line is I don't like running bulky AVs and spyware cleaners actively, I just make sure not to get any and that goes a long way :). However, if my win pc did slowdown or I saw an irregularity, its AVG that I like to use as a quick scan. Good product.

AndyCooll
June 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
WInderz none, because I don't use it. I used to use ClamWin on my VMware XP image.
Linux - currently noe, though I've used ClamAV and Firestarter.

:cool:

ep2011
June 3rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
On Windows: Avast (Always), CCleaner (About Once a week/month depending on settings), Adaware (Once a month, I usually forget though).

On Linux: Nothing :)

init1
June 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
I have klam av (kde front end for clam av) on mepis, but I have never completed an entire sweep.
I do not worry about viruses in linux
I don't have windows, so that is not even an issue