PDA

View Full Version : Edubuntu ok for church daycare

hkgonra
November 7th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I was looking at edubuntu and thought about setting up a system with it on there in the church daycare. I think the educational stuff will be great. With the current state of education I was wondering if any of you knew if there would be anything unacceptable for a church environment. I figured of all the places on the forum I could ask this the people here would probably know.

Sef
November 7th, 2006, 11:53 PM
With the current state of education I was wondering if any of you knew if there would be anything unacceptable for a church environment.

Everything should be acceptable for a church. After all, this was developed for schools, so the software would have to be acceptable for kids use.

hkgonra
November 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Everything should be acceptable for a church. After all, this was developed for schools, so the software would have to be acceptable for kids use.
I figured that but thought I better ask just in case.
Just so you know I am not an idiot I have heard of some schools teaching sex ed to 5 and 6 year olds.

Swab
November 8th, 2006, 12:19 AM
There is also Ubuntu Christian Edition (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/about-ubuntu-christian-edition.html). I'm not a Christian, and have never used it, just thought you might be interested :) All the educational packages in Edubuntu could be installed on top of Ubuntu Christian Edition quite easily after installation.

sethmahoney
November 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I figured that but thought I better ask just in case.
Just so you know I am not an idiot I have heard of some schools teaching sex ed to 5 and 6 year olds.

Well, although I think its a great idea to teach sex ed to 5 and 6 year olds, I'm pretty sure Edubuntu doesn't contain any sex ed software. But yeah, as someone else pointed out, there is also Ubuntu Christian Edition which might suit your needs better. Either way, installing additional software or uninstalling software you don't want isn't difficult at all, and you can find help doing all that kind of stuff in the forums and on the wiki.

hkgonra
November 8th, 2006, 12:30 AM
There is also Ubuntu Christian Edition (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/about-ubuntu-christian-edition.html). I'm not a Christian, and have never used it, just thought you might be interested :) All the educational packages in Edubuntu could be installed on top of Ubuntu Christian Edition quite easily after installation.

Never thought about adding the edu packages, great idea.

mhancoc7
November 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Never thought about adding the edu packages, great idea.

Hi, Edubuntu would probably be great for you. Like the others have said you can add the Edubuntu packages to Ubuntu CE. In fact Ubuntu CE comes with a special installer that allows you to install many of the educational packages that come with Edubuntu. Plus Ubuntu CE comes with content filtering.

Just let me know if you have any questions.

God Bless, Jereme

LaserJock
November 8th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Well, it sort of depends on what you want to do. Edubuntu is much more then some educational apps added on to Ubuntu. Edubuntu is designed for schools and especially LTSP servers. If you want to set up thin clients (which is really nice in a classroom as they are a lot cheaper and the maintanence is a lot lot easier as all you have to do is maintain the LTSP server) then Edubuntu is a better choice. If, on the other hand, you only have 1 or 2 computers that you want to use then probably just installing some educational apps on top of Ubuntu CE would be just as good.

Just my $0.02,

-LaserJock

silvagroup
November 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
We are in the process of starting a Christian School. I have been experimenting with CE. I am not a programmer and have a limited knowledge with *nix. Have been in the *nix world for about 5 years, so don't consider anything I say as expert, but CE should run any *nix application that will run under any Debian based system. The advantage to the different distros is that they are all tailored around some specific point. And so we have CE. So you could setup CE to use LTSP, the Edubuntu (look safe as far as I have seen) packages and running KDE if you want to. The school probably already has some investment in windows software which may run in wine on CE, if not for a minimal cost you can run win4lin and run all your windows software under the safety of CE. Haven't actually tried setting up KDE under CE yet, but it should work. Once I am finished experimenting with CE and get it set up as I like (the BIG advantage to *nix) I can then make CE my primary *nix system. Oh yeah don't forget you can also import many of your current windows data to CE also. God bless you, and your school.

emperor
November 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM
[quote=silvagroup; *nix [/quote]

What's up with the "*nix"? Is Linux a bad word to you or is this a generic term for Unix style operating systems?

silvagroup
November 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM
or is this a generic term for Unix style operating systems That's all. It covers the whole gamut, therefore *nix.