PDA

View Full Version : OpenMoko GPS/phone - I hope this works great with Ubuntu! exciting...

jetpeach
November 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I just finished reading this press coverage of FIC's new "OpenMoko", a truly open linux-based phone.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35590
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2986976174.html

Doesn't come out for a few more months, but it sounds awesome. Apt-get applications and keep them up to date on your phone? Fantastic.

I didn't see details about which carriers, or how it will be sold etc. etc. I am thinking of emailing T-mobile to see if they will get a deal with FIC so if I sign a contract or something maybe I can get it for less. It sounds like it will cost quite a lot ($350) normally, but with a GPS, Mp3 player w/microSD flash slot, and phone + everything else linux has to offer built in, even though normally I wouldn't spent that much on a toy I would be up for getting this one.

Anybody know any more details about it? Perhaps we should drum up support to get a US carrier to offer them with a contract for a discount...

jet

EDIT: here is a link to it (http://digg.com/gadgets/OpenMoKo_a_truly_open_linux_based_GPS_phone_w_almo st_all_u_can_imagine/blog) on digg, digg it!

wh0rd
November 18th, 2006, 12:45 PM
This is gonna be sweet! It's gonna have "apt-get-like" software manager. The possibilities are endless. Even though it'll be around $350 it's worth having a sleek touch screen Linux on the go. So can't wait till January 2007!!!!

bigbang
February 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
only problem i have with this phone is the lack of features such as:

camera (i would be killed at school without one, not that i care what others think)

wifi (i so need this in a phone to avoid the crap costs and slowness of gprs and ability to logo on the the net without waiting for a pc to load)

once this is include i would almost certainly start saving.

Stealth
February 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM
only problem i have with this phone is the lack of features such as:

camera (i would be killed at school without one, not that i care what others think)
wifi (i so need this in a phone to avoid the crap costs and slowness of gprs and ability to logo on the the net without waiting for a pc to load)

once this is include i would almost certainly start saving.

"Moss-Pultz notes that the FIC-GTA001, or Neo1973, is merely the first model in a planned family of open Linux phones from FIC. He expects a follow-up model to offer both WiFi and Bluetooth. "By the time one ships, the next one is half done," he says. "

Oof, guess I'll be holding off till version 2 as well...

Mateo
February 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
what would features would wifi on a phone provide?

bigbang
February 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
internet and other stuff. anything really that a pc could do on the net, after all it is open.

dasunst3r
February 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Frankly, I would rather pay full price upfront for the phone than to let a cell phone carrier sabotage my phone (you know what companies are notorious for that, although T-Mobile isn't one of them). In any case, I might be in the market for a new cell phone... next year, so I would love to see T-Mobile carry a FIC phone.

mips
February 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I like everything so far except for the lame shape of the phone. Butt ugly shape.

bigbang
February 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
it is abit. not a scratch of the swish iphone.