PDA

View Full Version : Share your experiences with tech support

BWF89
November 7th, 2006, 02:57 AM
We paid a hundred or so dollars to get AppleCare (it's an extended warranty but also includes free tech support) for our new iMac so I figured I'd give it a try.

Me: I downloaded X11 from your website but it doesn't allow me to install it onto the hard drive for some reason. I get to the part where it asks me which drive to install it onto and it won't let me go any further. I need X11 to get OpenOffice to work.
Lady on Apple tech support: I'm sorry but we don't support X11.
Me: How can you not support it? I downloaded your program right from your website.
Lady on Apple tech support: We only provide X11 as a tool for people who want to develop or play around with it. We don't support it in any way.
Me: Well, thanks anyway. /hangs up phone

About 5 minutes later I did a Google search for my problem and found out that Apple includes X11 right on their OS installation discs. I put one in, went to optional installs, checked X11, it installed perfectly and OpenOffice was up and running. Consumers Report rates Apple as having the highest rating as far as tech support. Macs are excellent computers, but don't buy one and expect to get any kind of good support. Or probably any kind of computer for that matter.

Unfortunately, this isn't just Apple. When my dad was having trouble getting my moms Creative Zen Touch mp3 player to work on our iMac he sent a letter to Creative before I had a chance to see if I could get it working. The next morning about 15 minutes before I had to leave to catch the bus to school I was able to go on the computer and do a Google search for ways getting Creative Zen's to work on OSX. I found a program called XNJB (http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/) (not only is it free, it's also GPL) that has to be the easiest software in the world to use to import/export songs to your mp3 player. A day or two later Creative finally got back to my dad and told him that unfortunately Creative Zen Touch doesn't support OSX.

Incompetent morons ](*,)

maniacmusician
November 7th, 2006, 03:26 AM
unfortunately, that's such a common occurrence. i'm 90% sure that tech support people learn this in their training; "If you don't know the answer, simply state that we don't support such-and-such."

Incompetent morons is right.

PS: Now we also need decent mp3 player support for linux. and no, gnomad does not count as decent lol :rolleyes:

BWF89
November 7th, 2006, 03:31 AM
NOTE: If anyone here is useing X11 on OSX don't download the update. It made OpenOffice not work anymore and I had to reinstall X11 from the installation disc again.

PhrankDaChickenGeek
November 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM
NOTE: If anyone here is useing X11 on OSX don't download the update. It made OpenOffice not work anymore and I had to reinstall X11 from the installation disc again.

Or just switch to http://www.neooffice.org/ so you don't have to use X11.

I've only called tech support once, and that was for a temp password to get online with a DSL connection to create my account. Pretty painless once the lady figured I knew what I was doing

DaveBorealis
November 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM
PS: Now we also need decent mp3 player support for linux.

CLI mpg321 or mpg123 are suprisingly flexible in what you can make them do. And the sound quality is good to my ears....

Best regards,
Dave

katgfan
November 7th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Most of reason why most of the techsupport use the "we dont support phrase" is that they dont want to be cornered in answering a question that they dont have any idea about.

BWF89
November 7th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Or just switch to http://www.neooffice.org/ so you don't have to use X11.
I consitered that but I looked it up on Wikipedia and found out that the latest stable relese of NeoOffice is basaed on version 1.1.5 of OpenOffice, so it's not as up to date

maniacmusician
November 7th, 2006, 05:18 AM
well if you go to their homepage at the link provided, you'll see that the new one is based on OO.org 2.0.3. The current version of NeoOffice is 2.0 Beta 3.

Polygon
November 7th, 2006, 05:46 AM
actually im having a problem with a game (in windows), most notable source games (like half life 2, counter strike source, etc), and the problem is that the game crashes with a looping sound after like 5 minutes of play in ANY source game (and there are a lot of them), and actualyl enough people complained about it that a VALVe employee is personally collectiong various report info from people having the problem and seeing if he can figure out whats causing it

but i find that google is the best tech support solution of them all

vayu
November 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Tech support hell twice today as a matter of fact.

I have to send out a newsletter and there are over 100 email addresses in it. My DSL provider only allows 50 per day.

Ok I accept the fact that they have an inconvenient limit. My web host company let's me send 1000 a day, so no problem. Only guess what? The DSL people have blocked me using any other smtp server besides their own. (They provide me substandard service but won't let me use a better one)

The tech support person could not even understand what I was asking for. She started to get angry with me, and started to tell me they were doing me a favor for even talking to me because they don't support Thunderbird. (yet she knew over the phone menu for menu how to get around it and Thunderbird had absolutely nothing to do with my problem anyway).

I finally have to insist on her supervisor. (Of course I'm now getting all kinds of please and thank-yous) After the obligitory 15 minutes on hold, the supervisor understands what I want and says sure we can take the block off port 25 for you. It might take up to 4 hours to take effect.

It's now 7 hours later, and I can't send through to my third party smtp server.

I've got another equally fun one that started my day with an emergency call from work that a clients site is down. I won't ramble on anymore, it had a pretty similar feeling quality as the one above.

grte
November 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Having worked in tech support, I can tell you that you people are flat out wrong, and frankly your insults are offensive.

The real reason they tell you they don't support it? It's because the companies that they work for tell them they don't support it. If they do help you with it, they get in trouble. Eventually, if they do it often enough, or if the wrong "quality assurance" agent listens to the call (and they always do), they get fired.

So stop being dicks and blame what's actually responsible here - companies, not the peons whom they employ.

yabbadabbadont
November 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Having worked in tech support, I can tell you that you people are flat out wrong, and frankly your insults are offensive.

The real reason they tell you they don't support it? It's because the companies that they work for tell them they don't support it. If they do help you with it, they get in trouble. Eventually, if they do it often enough, or if the wrong "quality assurance" agent, they get fired.

So stop being dicks and blame what's actually responsible here - companies, not peons whom they employ.

++

After you've had to tell a person (working for a bank no less) to pull the power cords out of the wall, because they couldn't find the two inch tall, quarter inch wide, bright orange power button on the front of the computer, you tend to lose respect for the people who are calling you. (If that were an isolated incident, it would be a different story, but it wasn't.)

chaosgeisterchen
November 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I can only provide experiences with tech support concerning telecommunications. What I experienced was awful and it has not improved yet.