PDA

View Full Version : Stalled Open-source software

credo
April 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Hey all,

Next year I'm thinking of restarting development of a stalled open-source project which the current developer has given up on. The aim being 300 hours work to pass my 3rd year CS degree.

Does anyone have any ideas for stalled projects that could provide me with a meaty 3rd year CS project?

panickedthumb
April 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM
What are your strengths/weaknesses? If you have never done gaming development, for example, you wouldn't want to pick up a stalled game. That's one thing to think about when choosing one.

Great idea though!

credo
April 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your advice.

Im a strong Java, C++ and C programmer. I've done much interface development, but since this is a rather theoretical course, I think I should do something a little more complicated than just "An MP3 Player built on GStreamer" for example.

Some of the project titles given to us include "face recognition", "university timetable system", and "design your own programming language".

Game development would seem like a good posibility, because It's something I could pick up in the time before my project begins.

I struggle with anything heavily mathematical!

Cheers

panickedthumb
April 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well-- if face recognition is one of the ideas, then you shouldn't do an MP3 player ;) You'll need something more complex.

One idea that I had that ISN'T a stalled project, it would be something new that you'd make-- a server config tool, graphical, that ties into apache, php, mysql/postgresql, perl, sendmail/postfix, proftpd/other ftp daemons, cups, samba, nfs, etc etc etc. So you'd have TOTAL server config from one application. It would be a lot of interface design, but the bulk of it would be reading/changing already existing config files, so that may not be complex enough for you.

Game development may be good for you TuxRacer has stalled, and while others have picked it up, you could pick it up and go in a different direction entirely.

I'm not sure HOW to find stalled OSS :)

sas
April 24th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Well-- if face recognition is one of the ideas, then you shouldn't do an MP3 player ;) You'll need something more complex.

One idea that I had that ISN'T a stalled project, it would be something new that you'd make-- a server config tool, graphical, that ties into apache, php, mysql/postgresql, perl, sendmail/postfix, proftpd/other ftp daemons, cups, samba, nfs, etc etc etc. So you'd have TOTAL server config from one application. It would be a lot of interface design, but the bulk of it would be reading/changing already existing config files, so that may not be complex enough for you.

Game development may be good for you TuxRacer has stalled, and while others have picked it up, you could pick it up and go in a different direction entirely.

I'm not sure HOW to find stalled OSS :)
Handily enough via a webpage - http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org doesn't appear to be used much though...Perhaps you could look for sourceforge software that hasn't been updated in a long time?

DJ_Max
April 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Handily enough via a webpage - http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org doesn't appear to be used much though...Perhaps you could look for sourceforge software that hasn't been updated in a long time?
There's a site just like that, but can't think of the URL, I saw it in a computer magazine, if I find it, I'll post it.

SF.net does have quite a few 'abandoned' projects, or ones looking to be taken over.

ssam
April 24th, 2005, 10:05 PM
would optical character recognition interest you?

totalshredder
April 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Scanning drivers might be a fun thing to work with. Really complicated; and would be very helpful for the OS community :)

Luke

panickedthumb
April 24th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Or reverse engineering the Sony Minidisc specifications ;)

credo
April 24th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Wow, what a response!

Well, something not illegal preferably :-D

I was searching around SF for ages - wouldnt it be great if they had a "stalled" section?

Scanning drivers sounds good, but then there is the lack of technical data made for use by the industry. I have a canon scanner which certainly wont work, but I doubt there is much chance of it working in the future because of Canon's view to oss.

Thanks panickedthumb, uv come up with some good ones.

ssam - I may well look into that, looks to have enough technical scope for what I'm doing.

Thinking about it, there is probably nothing wrong with creating a whole new piece of software - anyone in need of some? lol

Perhaps my project should include a section on making a website for stalled oss :)

escuchamezz
April 24th, 2005, 10:49 PM
write your own OS, call it Windows 2006 :smile:

kiddo
April 24th, 2005, 11:20 PM
What I'd say is missing in OSS for me:
* OCR (Optical Character Recognition - and I mean, EXCELLENT recognition. I've used something called Abby Finereader under windows, which was just a m a z i n g)
* a really really neat multitrack sound editor. Audacity is too old/flawed for me. I don't consider it "usable" for anything serious (sad thing it is). What I've seen under windows was Steinberg's Wavelab.
* video editing, professional grade. But we started with pitivi.org, and I'm helping them a little, as a beta tester, designer and GUI reviewer.
* DVD video authoring (from any format, be it avi DV, mpeg2, etc)
***** some tool to remove the... urgh, I got the term on the tip of my tongue, but I don't know what it is. I only know the French word: tramage (détramage, for the action of removing it)

A quick google translate from wikipedia:
The tramage is also the one variation of contrast of an image when it is digitized (scannée). This artifact results from the superposition between the network of points of the image (very visible in particular in the cases of the photographs of daily newspapers and the advertising bills) and the network of points of the device of digitalization. One can include/understand this phenomenon with the theory of the watered effect.

It's something you can notice easily by scanning a photo from a newspaper. It's ugly. Unless someone already wrote an application for this, but I've searched and have found nothing yet.

sas
April 24th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Wow, what a response!

Well, something not illegal preferably :-D

I was searching around SF for ages - wouldnt it be great if they had a "stalled" section?

Perhaps my project should include a section on making a website for stalled oss :)

They do kind of keep track of these things - they do have a "most active" chart afterall, probably take a while to get to the end of the chart mind, and half of it will be a lot of half baked over the top ideas that never released a file...

There is already a website - http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org/ whoevers behind takes care of the site as they've recently moved to a wiki....it seems no-one bothers reporting their project though...The site is syndicated on /. and maybe others...

az
April 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Hey all,

Next year I'm thinking of restarting development of a stalled open-source project which the current developer has given up on. The aim being 300 hours work to pass my 3rd year CS degree.

Does anyone have any ideas for stalled projects that could provide me with a meaty 3rd year CS project?

What about working on an abandoned or orphaned package for debian?

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-first.en.html#s-choose

You do not have to be the project developer, just maintain the package for debian. That in itself can be challenging (300 hours can be a neat target for a package or two, or three) Some debian developers are the actual upstream people, too, at the same time. Maybe this is helpful?

Becoming a DD is an accomplishment in itself and shows a dedication to free software.

Any package that is in debian that is not in Ubuntu main gets into Ubuntu universe anyway...

Urusai
April 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM
What I'd say is missing in OSS for me:
* OCR (Optical Character Recognition - and I mean, EXCELLENT recognition. I've used something called Abby Finereader under windows, which was just a m a z i n g)
* a really really neat multitrack sound editor. Audacity is too old/flawed for me. I don't consider it "usable" for anything serious (sad thing it is). What I've seen under windows was Steinberg's Wavelab.
* video editing, professional grade. But we started with pitivi.org, and I'm helping them a little, as a beta tester, designer and GUI reviewer.
* DVD video authoring (from any format, be it avi DV, mpeg2, etc)
***** some tool to remove the... urgh, I got the term on the tip of my tongue, but I don't know what it is. I only know the French word: tramage (détramage, for the action of removing it)

A quick google translate from wikipedia:
The tramage is also the one variation of contrast of an image when it is digitized (scannée). This artifact results from the superposition between the network of points of the image (very visible in particular in the cases of the photographs of daily newspapers and the advertising bills) and the network of points of the device of digitalization. One can include/understand this phenomenon with the theory of the watered effect.

It's something you can notice easily by scanning a photo from a newspaper. It's ugly. Unless someone already wrote an application for this, but I've searched and have found nothing yet.
Is this either dithering or moire effect?

ow50
April 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
There's a certain type of OCR that I'd like to see in the Linux world. That is a subtitle converter (from vobsub to text). For Windows there's an open source app called SubRip that does this quite well. For general OCR in Linux there seems to be an app called GOCR. This wouldn't be stalled, but perhaps not needed to start from scratch.